When to treat fin and tail damage?

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a blotched Anthias last Friday and he has been doing great. Eats like a pig. Only problem is he was picked on a little bit initially by my tomini tang and a flasher wrasse. His dorsal fin has a bit or two out of it but his tail is pretty damaged. There is some minor whitening / cloudiness to a small part of the damage on the tail. He is now holding his own and knows how to react when the tang gets near. Should I treat this or let it heal on its own. I’ll attach a few pics but he is so fast and afraid of white light

IMG_7180.jpeg IMG_7177.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got a blotched Anthias last Friday and he has been doing great. Eats like a pig. Only problem is he was picked on a little bit initially by my tomini tang and a flasher wrasse. His dorsal fin has a bit or two out of it but his tail is pretty damaged. There is some minor whitening / cloudiness to a small part of the damage on the tail. He is now holding his own and knows how to react when the tang gets near. Should I treat this or let it heal on its own. I’ll attach a few pics but he is so fast and afraid of white light

IMG_7180.jpeg IMG_7177.jpeg
first pic a little fuzzy and second one too dark to see anything buy I dont see any signs of such. What other fish are in the tank with it?
Please post a you tube video of the fish under white light intensity for best assessment

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the pic where the lighting is blue. If you focus in on the tail - the see through part of the tail, you can see a big bite out of it towards the top arch. Sorry hard to describe don’t know anatomical terms

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried my hardest to get a better image. He really seems afraid of lighting changes and he’s so fast. I might be in my head about the whitening because he is an expensive fish but his tail is pretty chomped on. He seems to fit in though now and the tomini is rarely ever chasing him. It’s a 4ft 90 gal tank. Only other fish with an aggression is a Midas blenny. Two leopard wrasses which just gonna vibe with themselves and then a few nano fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried my hardest to get a better image. He really seems afraid of lighting changes and he’s so fast. I might be in my head about the whitening because he is an expensive fish but his tail is pretty chomped on. He seems to fit in though now and the tomini is rarely ever chasing him. It’s a 4ft 90 gal tank. Only other fish with an aggression is a Midas blenny. Two leopard wrasses which just gonna vibe with themselves and then a few nano fish

Getting clear photos is tough, but so is diagnosing fish issues without them (grin).

My fear is that the aggression hasn’t totally stopped, even light aggression continuing can be an issue, when added to previous aggression.

Fish fins can heal pretty easily as long as secondary infection doesn’t set in. You wouldn’t be able to treat that without a hospital tank any way.

Is the anthias still eating normally?

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting clear photos is tough, but so is diagnosing fish issues without them (grin).

My fear is that the aggression hasn’t totally stopped, even light aggression continuing can be an issue, when added to previous aggression.

Fish fins can heal pretty easily as long as secondary infection doesn’t set in. You wouldn’t be able to treat that without a hospital tank any way.

Is the anthias still eating normally?
Aggression is still going on. I work through lights off Monday-Wednesday but got home a little early and saw the tang chasing him around a few times. I do have a hospital tank and antibiotics on hand so will monitor.

In terms of his behavior this fish is a literal cartoon character. He already recognizes me and does this snout down stance but then looks up with his huge eyes and begs for food. I swear he has grown and eats a ton every time I feed the fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aggression is still going on. I work through lights off Monday-Wednesday but got home a little early and saw the tang chasing him around a few times. I do have a hospital tank and antibiotics on hand so will monitor.

In terms of his behavior this fish is a literal cartoon character. He already recognizes me and does this snout down stance but then looks up with his huge eyes and begs for food. I swear he has grown and eats a ton every time I feed the fish
A tank divider would be less stressful for all than would moving the anthias.

OP
OP
B

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7209.jpeg
Well it’s definitely getting worse. Definitely a little infected too with some whitening in one spot. I can not for the life of my get him out. I think my plan is to remove the tomini when I have some free time. Yesterday I started feeding medicated food with Kanaplex and focus. As you can see he is still super fat and eating. Is this sufficient to help? Also do I run carbon with the medicated food? I assume yes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7209.jpeg
Well it’s definitely getting worse. Definitely a little infected too with some whitening in one spot. I can not for the life of my get him out. I think my plan is to remove the tomini when I have some free time. Yesterday I started feeding medicated food with Kanaplex and focus. As you can see he is still super fat and eating. Is this sufficient to help? Also do I run carbon with the medicated food? I assume yes
Can’t you just put a tank divider in?

Remember that dosing foods orally is tricky, and kanamycin can be toxic if overdosed.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back