Where do your UC frags come from? Here's some information!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all truth I haven't been there for several months. Last time I was there raceway 1 was the sps raceway and 2 was the LPS primarily. But last time I was there Triton was what they were going to be doing but not yet what they were doing. Im confident though the LPS are getting similar treatment. Going to make an effort to drive down in the very near future and see it firsthand

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thnaks, What are you using for CA, Alk and MG.

Operating a commercial propagation facility has been a rewarding, humbling, frustrating, and often, exhilarating experience. Our staff at Unique Corals has amassed a significant amount of experience dealing with the daily challenges involved in producing large quantities of healthy, high quality, colorful corals, and we are constantly improving our techniques and honing our skills.

Not a day goes by when we don’t get a bunch of questions about our corals- how we grow them, what types of conditions we keep them under, etc. There is no reason for us to keep this a secret, because knowing the conditions under which your corals are grown will help you continue to maintain them in great health in your own systems. So I thought, it would be a good idea to start sharing with you exactly what conditions we’re raising your frags under!

Here’s a very brief, summarized look at where your corals come from. We hope to make this a periodic series, with discussion on each of our raceways, in the hope that sharing this information will help our customers enjoy the corals that they purchase from us even more!

Let’s start with a look at one of our SPS growout raceways, Raceway #2 (“R2†as we call it.)… This is where many of your Acros, Seriatopora, and Montis come from. We’ve really been enjoying the color and growth we’ve been getting out of our “SPS†lately, and judging by sales and positive feedback, so are our customers!

Like all of our raceways, this one is 30 feet long and has a total capacity (including it’s own sump) of around 2,000 gallons. Water is returned via a simple, elegant horizontal “gyre†flow designed by our friend, Jake Adams. With no annoying spouts, manifolds, and outlets, this creates very strong, indirect flow, which we feel has greatly benefitted our corals by providing increased oxygenation and keeping a clean “boundry layer†around them. We also feel that the strong flow helps promote more rapid healing, encrusting, and growth following imposed propagation (a fancy way of saying “fraggingâ€).

Raceway-Aquarium-Unique-Corals.jpg

We illuminate this system with 400 watt, 20,000K “Radium†metal halides mounted in twin reflectors on motorized light movers, to achieve consistent, steady lighting throughout the raceway. We have discussed our rationale before for choosing halides- but suffice it to say, we feel that they give us the most economical return on our investment for our needs. Sure, fancy LED systems are really sexy, and they can grow Acros for sure- but for our purposes, nothing that we have tested thus far has outperformed our halides at this point, from an economic and performance standpoint, in terms of color, health, and “time-to-market†for our corals, very important in a commercial operation with overhead and other considerations!

The corals are grown on standard egg crate over acrylic that is about 6â€-8†under the water surface, and the lights are suspended anywhere between 12â€-16†above the water surface. We experiment now and again with height and adjust as needed to get the desired results. Like everything in reef keeping, commercial propagation is a constant learning/tweaking process!

Like all of our raceways, “R2†is independently filtered, which provides not only stability and control, but a safety factor should something go wrong. The risk of cross contaminating a grout raceway was something we considered at the outset, and central filtration for our coral systems was ruled out immediately.

We have been utilizing the “Triton Method†for almost two motnhs, and during that time we have noticed an obvious positive impact on the color, vitality and health of our corals. Regular visitors to our facility notice it, too, and we see positive changes in our corals weekly. One only need take a random sample of frags from our raceways to see the consistent strong color, health, and growth of the frags. We dose the “Base Elementz†four part balanced ionic/trace element solution continuously with dosing pumps controlled by our Apex system.

Dosing 1 -  Jan14.jpg

Everyone want’s to know the latest stats on the systems where their corals are coming from, so here’s what we were looking at as of the 28th:

Daytime pH- 8.18

Temperature- 77.9F

ORP- 320

Salinity -33.1 (1.025)

Alk- 8 Dkh

Mg- 1395

Ca- 534

P04- 0.15ppm

When we receive the results from our latest Triton 32-parameter analysis, we’ll share this, too.

Perhaps some surprises in these results?

Well, our alkalinity is right on target…Triton proffers 8 Dkh, which is where we’re at, and it’s very stable now. As you can see, we have really high calcium…Something that we try to adjust downwards at times, but with growing corals, and a lot of them, it’s a moving target. Magnesium fluctuates too; in the past week going between 1410ppm on the high side and 1380ppm on the low side. Our corals encrust quickly on their plugs, with very colorful growth tips.

You’ll see that our phosphate is possibly higher than you’d expect, but within our target parameters of 0.08-0.20. We’ve ran systems ridiculously clean, almost “sterile†before, in terms of phosphate- and our corals looked- well, crappy. Since we’ve “allowed†a higher tolerance for phosphate, and feed the heck out of our corals, they've never looked better. I can’t stress this enough: Corals need to be fed, and they don’t need perfectly sterile water to thrive.

UC4-piece-frag-pack-sps-blue-vermiculata-green-dragon-chesterfieldensis-strawberry-shortcake-118.jpg

We have not performed a typical water change for nutrient export in over a month, consistent with the Triton “Method.†Rather, we’ve utilized protein skimming, activated carbon, and growth of Chaetomorpha to assist with nutrient export. We top off our system or replace some saltwater with freshwater as needed to keep specific gravity in check.

Remember, we are looking at stability of numbers within a range, and try not to get too obsessed with any one number as a target. Chasing exact target numbers is a sure way to drive yourself nuts! We realize that these systems are nothing like a home aquarium, with many thousands of growing coral frags and colonies, and corals being removed and added daily as frags are made and others are sold, and the management of this large a volume utilizing a method like Triton is very different from what most reefers will do.

Quite honestly, the colors, growth, and encrusting that we are getting out of our “SPS†frags these days is tremendous. We have never enjoyed a greater degree of consistent quality with our corals as we have lately. We attribute some of this to Triton, and some of it to good old fashioned attention to detail and hard work. Managing a large grout system has fought us many things about corals. Having so many corals under propagation is analogous to a terrestrial garden: At any given time, many corals are thriving, some doing not as well as they could, and some not doing well at all. Over the past couple of months, this has smoothed out, with the vast majority of corals thriving, and very, very few corals not doing well. This is something that we are seeing across the board in all of our systems, and we are very pleased with this.

UC1andhalfinch-red-millie-frag-42.jpg

UC1andhalfinch-sunset-millie-frag-68.jpg

Growing corals has been a constant learning curve, with surprises, challenges, and opportunities popping up all the time. With constant refinement of our husbandry procedures, this end of our business continues to improve every week, as we learn more and more about what our corals really need. The end result- high quality corals for our customers- has been well worth all of the time, energy, expense, and effort invested.

And it’s a lot of FUN, too!

I hope that this brief look at “R2†has provided you with some food for thought, and perhaps a bit of knowledge that can help you keep the corals that you purchase from us in top condition in your own aquarium!

Keep having fun with your reef…

And Stay Wet!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to mention that I'm extremely fortunate as other SoCal peeps to be in relatively close proximity to UC. This facility is a top notch operation. The attention to detail is to say the least, extreme. The corals are gorgeous and the crew takes great pride in the success of this operation. Unique Corals and the UC staff are an asset to this community. Thank you Scott, Joe, Dave et al

Thank YOU so much for the kind words. It's truly a labor of love and, although it's what we do for a living, it's just so darned fun for us all!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COOL! Thanks for sharing with everyone Scott. Once my new tank is up and running will have to grab a couple of those Millis to mix with mine. Having ran a similar program to Triton or DSR on my Reeftank for past 3+ years now it is very pleasing to see such success on a grand scale with facilities such as yours.

Cheers, Todd

Yeah, it's really been mind expanding learning more about what corals really need, and how to provide it. We've really been impressed with the Triton methodology and philosophy, and to see tangible results is really the proof we needed! Next time you're in L.A., Todd....:wink:

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome...I would donate free labor just to see corals everyday. Look forward to getting many more sps from UC.
Vong

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be using a lot of Base Elementz in a system like that!

It uses a fair amount, but like any system on Triton, once we've gotten it dialed in, it's been really manageable. Far more simple, really, than any previous methods we've utilized! And the corals...wow- Joe and I went on a raceway "Safari" earlier this evening, just checking out things to pick to add to the website...We found so many crazy Acros that have colored up and really grown into amazing frags...I sounds like a cliche, but we stumbled on a Millie that was unlike anything we've seen..just insane...this kind of stuff is so exciting- to see random pieces that were just average a couple of months ago blossom into what will be potential "signature" frags...crazy fun!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a number of years since I've visited but Scott's facility is top notch! Looking forward to seeing him again in Nashville!

Dave

I'm really looking forward to Nashville! Club seems awesome, I'll have a nice new talk ready, and looking forward to a lot of cool reefers!

Scott

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It uses a fair amount, but like any system on Triton, once we've gotten it dialed in, it's been really manageable. Far more simple, really, than any previous methods we've utilized! And the corals...wow- Joe and I went on a raceway "Safari" earlier this evening, just checking out things to pick to add to the website...We found so many crazy Acros that have colored up and really grown into amazing frags...I sounds like a cliche, but we stumbled on a Millie that was unlike anything we've seen..just insane...this kind of stuff is so exciting- to see random pieces that were just average a couple of months ago blossom into what will be potential "signature" frags...crazy fun!

That is excellent. I enjoyed visiting your facility a couple months ago, i'll be sure to stop in next time i'm through the valley.

My tank is still very young, but my SPS frags seem to be thriving on Triton.

Got a pic of that Millie? :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to hear the LPS version of this post. Got my smoking "super bright orange acan echinata" today with a lord and a lobo. My tank is glowing. I think it's great that you share your success and also your failures with us here. It helps us all in the long run to be open and honest. Happy corals = happy refers = more sales for Scott. Love the way you guys do business, always a pleasure.

I KNEW you'd like that Acan! LOL! We decided from the outset to be transparent, because at the end of the day, we're all reefers, and we all win when people can replicate success...The natural reefs win, because we won't have to take as many corals from the wild. We all win when new methods are tried out and perfected...and it's a lot more fun! We checked our egos at the door, in terms of screwing up- because we've made plenty of mistakes...Goes with the territory. Yes, we do make a living doing this, but the financial rewards are just a part of the whole package of doing something we love and sharing it with our community in the most honest and open way possible.

Thanks so much for the support!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are awesome...I would donate free labor just to see corals everyday. Look forward to getting many more sps from UC.
Vong

LOL, the old "will work for frags" thing...don't tempt a business man...:nono:

It IS cool to see the corals everyday- but you know what the best part is? Talking with reefers about this awesome stuff every day. You guys and gals get us super stoked, and it motivates us to keep learning and trying new things so we can all enjoy this holy for many years to come.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing less Elementz 2 than Elementz 1 to try and lower the calcium?

Gene

We've been adjusting the dose a bit. The reality is that you really want to use the same amount of each component...We're still dialing that it. Took us a while to peg steady 8DKH, but we nailed it. We have already seen a slight downward trend on the calcium...We'll keep you posted about what transpires...

-Scott

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been adjusting the dose a bit. The reality is that you really want to use the same amount of each component...We're still dialing that it. Took us a while to peg steady 8DKH, but we nailed it. We have already seen a slight downward trend on the calcium...We'll keep you posted about what transpires...

-Scott

You must be going through a ton of elementz, I'm already about halfway through my first batch. Time to order some more. :) and send in another icp test.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This what we mean when I say to check out a random batch of Acros...These are not exception- these are entirely typical of the stuff in our raceways

IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8387.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg

IMG_8389.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg

We love how the colors are rich and extend throughout the skeleton, and how polyps are extended throughout the day. The encrusting is amazing!

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really looking forward to Nashville! Club seems awesome, I'll have a nice new talk ready, and looking forward to a lot of cool reefers!

Scott
You have to let me know when you are giving a talk in Nashville, I am there for business all the time. I would live to sit in on one of your talks. The Nashville club gave me some good advice on LFS last month for window shopping

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8361.jpg

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8341.jpg

What's really cool is that we have consistency with our frags that we did not have previously...To see a bunch of frags with pretty much every specimen of a given species looking healthy, colorful and well-encrusted is very rewarding! There's a reason why we don't sell "fresh cuts", and it's immediately obvious when you see a frag that's been carefully grown out with time, patience, and care...And you'll see the difference in your tank, too!

Last edited:

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Scott

My calcium and magnesium were to high so I lowered the elementz dosing and added soda ash to keep up with the DKH. That worked but now I'm not adding the soda ash and trying to slowly raise the elementz dosing.

Gene

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, what salt do you use to keep your triton balance so stable?

We have used Brightwell "NeoMarine" since starting our operation. However, we are evaluating the possibility of changing to Tropic Marin, my personal favorite salt!

-Scott

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back