Where to buy sponges for cryptic zone?

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to seed a cryptic refugium with sponges. The goal would be to add a supplemental filtration zone.

1. Where should I buy them? I see some (old) references to reeffarmers.com, but not much else and google has not been too helpful.

2. Any specific recommendations on type of sponge I should be looking for?

Thanks!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking to seed a cryptic refugium with sponges. The goal would be to add a supplemental filtration zone.

1. Where should I buy them? I see some (old) references to reeffarmers.com, but not much else and google has not been too helpful.

2. Any specific recommendations on type of sponge I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Why not just buy from Steve on reef farmers website you posted...

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some good pieces of live rock that are actually from the ocean (maricultured is fine). You'll get TONS of sponges (and lots of other filtering organisms) as the rock matures in your cryptic zone. I bought rock for my tank from liverocknreef.com. Their GMP premium rock is stellar. It's flown directly from Jakarta. It's one of the last true live rocks from the indo-pacific still available to the hobby. It's pricey, but for seeding a crytpic zone you wouldn't need much.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just get some good pieces of live rock that are actually from the ocean (maricultured is fine). You'll get TONS of sponges (and lots of other filtering organisms) as the rock matures in your cryptic zone. I bought rock for my tank from liverocknreef.com. Their GMP premium rock is stellar. It's flown directly from Jakarta. It's one of the last true live rocks from the indo-pacific still available to the hobby. It's pricey, but for seeding a crytpic zone you wouldn't need much.

I just bought some rock from liverockandreef a couple of months ago both GMP and Buna Ultra Live Rock and both were horrible and void of even coralline... Second worst rock I ever bought....

Also with Fiji shut down it will be hard to get live rock since allot of the rock comes through Fiji. GMP comes from Indonesia I believe and I do not know how the shut down there affects live rock.

Gulf aquaculture rock can have lots of sponges.

Last edited:

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some rock from liverockandreef a couple of months ago both GMP and Buna Ultra Live Rock and both were horrible and void of even coralline... Second worst rock I ever bought....

Also with Fiji shut down it will be hard to get live rock since allot of the rock comes through Fiji. GMP comes from Indonesia I believe and I do not know how the shut down there affects live rock.

Gulf aquaculture rock can have lots of sponges.

That's too bad. Must be hit or miss. The stuff I got was incredible. Super lightweight and porous, interesting shapes, etc. It was so heavily encrusted with coraline it looked like it had been matured in a tank for years already. I had zero die off and zero algae blooms in my new set up. I do wonder if they are affected by the Indo ban though, so it's possible they sent you left overs from previous orders or something

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's too bad. Must be hit or miss. The stuff I got was incredible. Super lightweight and porous, interesting shapes, etc. It was so heavily encrusted with coraline it looked like it had been matured in a tank for years already. I had zero die off and zero algae blooms in my new set up. I do wonder if they are affected by the Indo ban though, so it's possible they sent you left overs from previous orders or something

It was before the ban.

I bought before the ban... I think they do not light their rock. You get it fresh you are ok but if it has been sitting it looses there coralline. it is either that or the bottom of the vat where they do not get light.
Worst part is I was just going to buy Buna which to me is way lighter rock and better, it is so light it is brittle. Anyway he said the rock had no coverage of coralline and steered me to GMP because it was better and I heard from others it was great. That is what gets me because neither had any coverage and he steered me to a heavier more expensive rock.

I mean the rock was bare I can get pics because it is still that way. I threw some Gulfview rock in with it to hopefully spread some coralline and the organisms.

I had been buying Manado rock from Premium Aqautics till they stopped selling it. This at least had good coralline coverage. Sad what is happening to the live rock for a while. Now it is Aquacultured rock which is great for biodiversity and has allot of cool stuff but it is heavy and not very porous. I need a good place to buy live rock from now. I would even settle for some good dropped shipped rock.

Back to the topic. I am actually setting up a new aquaculture facility in my basement and going to be working mainly with invertebrates like sponges, snails, algae, crabs, shrimp, copepods, stars, worms etc.. Because of all the dead rock there has been a lack of diversity and I believe it is part of the issues with so many outbreaks of Dino's right now. Also with live rock bans more people will be moving towards dead rock. I have a few photosynthetic sponges and a few others right now but nothing cryptic. I will be looking for some of those eventually once I get farther into the build. I think sponges may even be able to filter dinos out of the water.

Last edited:

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an email to reeffarmers. I'll let you all know what happens.

Was looking into myself and read he was still doing sponges. Reef Farmers has fbook page I had seen that on. KP Aquatics is also another cool live rock business in The Keys. They have 10 pounds FedEx too for around $100.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually says this on FB page.

Fyi - Just updated our Buy It Now web page with the following.

Reeffarmers has made a change in our business plan going forward. We are actually stopping the Buy It Now retail sales for coral on our web page. This will last for a period of at least 2 to 4 years (2018-2020/2022). And we apologize for not having many available corals listed as we wound down the coral retail selling. We continue to operate two large raceway reef systems in our Texas facility. They are mainly used to grow cryptic filtration animals. We still sell those via this online web page. This is primarily being done to support the cryptic sponge filtration method. We will be upgrading these two racewway systems with better current, automation and lighting. This will allow us to bank more exotic and demanding seeds within our systems after the upgrade

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet to get the type of sponges you are looking for is by buying some real ocean rock, shipped in water to your door. Something along the lines of a Tampa Bay saltwater "treasure chest" might be a great way to make it affordable.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best bet to get the type of sponges you are looking for is by buying some real ocean rock, shipped in water to your door. Something along the lines of a Tampa Bay saltwater "treasure chest" might be a great way to make it affordable.

Yea and you can request certain roc and if they have it they will ship that to you the best they can.
like you can ask for rocks with sponges or algae's etc.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back