Where to find Colonies?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find a place which sells zoa rocks. I'm not a fan of frags when it comes to zoas, I understand that they don't do as well. Does anybody know of vendors who sell colonies? I'm hoping to get a garden going. Thanks!

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find a place which sells zoa rocks. I'm not a fan of frags when it comes to zoas, I understand that they don't do as well. Does anybody know of vendors who sell colonies? I'm hoping to get a garden going. Thanks!
Wwc (world wide corals) sometimes get them in.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals.com has a lot of large rock zoa colonies.

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Corals.com has a lot of large rock zoa colonies.
I've shopped at Corals.com a few times.
They do have some larger pieces, but not much in the way of named high end stuff.
Mostly just some nice looking colonies at reasonable prices. And they do have frequent sales.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shopped at Corals.com a few times.
They do have some larger pieces, but not much in the way of named high end stuff.
Mostly just some nice looking colonies at reasonable prices. And they do have frequent sales.
I haven’t ordered zoas but a few other things. Great packaging and everything alive and happy. I still have all alive and growing. It is so hard for me to order there as I am 25 minutes away and have to pay shipping. I contacted the owner, very nice guy, and there is no pickup. Tidal Gardens is 50 minutes away and I have ordered and picked up many times.

Upvote 0

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
A word of caution. Zoa colonies come in with all sorts of critters and need to be repeatedly dipped and QTed. The chain of custody (how many hands it passes through) and overall acclimation - light and water params - is also a consideration.

Provided you're not looking for higher ends you might be best served going with chunky aquaculture frags of well traveled strains. With most aquacutlure zoas I bat .800-900 after a year. When I was working with more wilds it was closer to .250-300 after the same year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A word of caution. Zoa colonies come in with all sorts of critters and need to be repeatedly dipped and QTed. The chain of custody (how many hands it passes through) and overall acclimation - light and water params - is also a consideration.

Provided you're not looking for higher ends you might be best served going with chunky aquaculture frags of well traveled strains. With most aquacutlure zoas I bat .800-900 after a year. When I was working with more wilds it was closer to .250-300 after the same year.

Thanks. What's a good place to get healthy frags? Most places I find sell only 1-3 polyps, which I imagine would increase mortality by quite a bit.

Upvote 0

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks. What's a good place to get healthy frags? Most places I find sell only 1-3 polyps, which I imagine would increase mortality by quite a bit.

It all depends on where you live. Just went to a local frag swap on Sunday and there were plenty of great deals on bread and butter strains.

If you’re open to shipping or live near a bigger city it’s worth a look in the live goods sales forum, plenty of good r2r sellers offering stuff.

Finally, there’s the rub between larger vendors that charge a premium (but have a solid rep) vs smaller or boutique/brick and mortar outfits that may be more specialized/cheaper but are also newer.

Upvote 1

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back