Which Method to us to lower nitrates

cally2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys i have a 300 reef tank my Nitrates is in the 50s I would like to lower them to to 20 I have all LPS no acros. I Know their are diffrent methods to lower such as an reactor, vodka, and vinegar. Which methods is most effective and the 2nd question is which method is most safest. I know I bio pellets is probably the safest but i know it takes forever. Any suggestion or recommendations are greatly appreciated

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes would be the safest… getting to the root cause is the difficult part and keeping them down… is the tank over stocked with fish or do you over feed etc? Vodka works if you got a good skimmer to pull all the nasties. Vacuuming areas of your sand bed while doing water changes helps, cleaning your sump out helps..

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If phosphates are high as well, it is likely due to Carbon deficiency, introducing a carbon source such as Vodka/Viniger/Nopox/Biopellets would let the various Carbon limited organisms (mainly bacteria) to start consume both.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste before it becomes nitrates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to use a Sulphur de-nitrator

Just remember they deplete alkalinity so you may need to keep a close watch on it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If phosphates are high as well, it is likely due to Carbon deficiency, introducing a carbon source such as Vodka/Viniger/Nopox/Biopellets would let the various Carbon limited organisms (mainly bacteria) to start consume both.

While I too think organic carbon dosing is a fine plan, I'd be reluctant to call it a carbon "deficiency", implying something is wrong. The ocean and most reef tanks will be (should be) limited in bacterial growth by organic carbon availability.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I too think organic carbon dosing is a fine plan, I'd be reluctant to call it a carbon "deficiency", implying something is wrong. The ocean and most reef tanks will be (should be) limited in bacterial growth by organic carbon availability.
Fair point.

I wonder - in your opinion, is the ocean comparable in this particular case to a closed system?

Nutrients in the ocean are mostly displaced between organisms.
Compared to a closed system, where some are indeed displaced, but also largely exported as organic matter through mechanical filtration and other export methods.

Now, once you export organic matter - you also essentially export carbon from your system, and thus make it unavailable for consumption by same organisms once again.

I see your point though, I have 2 systems - one where I use Biopellets and the other where I don’t have any carbon source added and both are thriving just as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To say a reef aquarium is not carbon limited would imply that one could add, say, sugar, in any amount you wanted, and one would not see increased bacterial growth. I think that most reef aquaria would see a bacterial bloom with sufficient sugar added.

However, if you add a lot all at once, I expect the limitation must shift to something else. Maybe N or P or some critical trace element.

In the ocean that could never happen for long, but it might happen locally until fresher water was mixed in depending on how well the water mixes up.

I'm not sure organic export impacts this thought process much since most of the organics being exported (or accumulated) are not likely the most readily metabolized organics, but are more complex molecules such as proteins that take time to degrade. Thus, I think a tank heavily yellowed with accumulated organic matter may still respond with increased bacterial growth if, say, sugar, is added.

OP
OP
cally2k

cally2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes would be the safest… getting to the root cause is the difficult part and keeping them down… is the tank over stocked with fish or do you over feed etc? Vodka works if you got a good skimmer to pull all the nasties. Vacuuming areas of your sand bed while doing water changes helps, cleaning your sump out helps..
Thank you I do water changes every 2 weeks 60 gallons, I feed once a day, and i have the following fish
Purple Tang
Gem Tang
Orange shoulder
Tomini Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Starry Blenny
Marron clown pair
I dose PNS probio which is a natural heterotrophic bacteria that eliminates organic waste before it becomes nitrates.
this is interesting never heard of this

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys i have a 300 reef tank my Nitrates is in the 50s I would like to lower them to to 20 I have all LPS no acros. I Know their are diffrent methods to lower such as an reactor, vodka, and vinegar. Which methods is most effective and the 2nd question is which method is most safest. I know I bio pellets is probably the safest but i know it takes forever. Any suggestion or recommendations are greatly appreciated
I would increase the frequency (or volume) of water changes. Fwiw, nitrates in the 50's is not terrible for LPS. Have the nitrates been increasing? Have your corals shown any negative changes?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I do water changes every 2 weeks 60 gallons, I feed once a day, and i have the following fish
Purple Tang
Gem Tang
Orange shoulder
Tomini Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Starry Blenny
Marron clown pair

this is interesting never heard of this
I dose it once a week. Corals love it to.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a refugium?

I have a mud refugium and I think it's probably one of the most important parts of my system.
It is now extremely difficult for any algae to grow in my tank.
Maybe even more important than my skimmer since it doesn't seem to ever have to work hard.

Read about Mud Refugiums and see if it's something that interests you and whether it can be integrated into your system. Clams will take up nitrate too...even cheap ones from the seafood market.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back