i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System
120 gallon tank, 130 gallons total volume
Tank has had water in it for about 10 months but I have been going slow with adding fish/coral
Fish are 2 Clowns, 1 Ruby Longfin Wrasse and 1 Marine Betta
Alk: 8.84
Cal: 416
Mag: 1464
PH: 8.09
Temp: 77.1
PO4: .01
NO3: .2
Corals fed twice a week with Reef Roids, Coral Amino and LPS Grow+Color Pellets

I have a Duncan that I added to my tank on 12/28/23 and it looked like this
20231231_083451.jpg

It now looks like this
20240325_144102.jpg

20240325_144058.jpg

FTS
20240325_150307.jpg

My question/concern are the white heads under the green ones. Is it normal to have these?
It’s likely just that those heads don’t need zooxanthellae as they’re being overshadowed by the heads which do have zooxanthellae.

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have roasted coral in the past with high par so, on this build, I decided to go on the low side. While expensive, a par meter has been my best investment.
Not to sound dumb but what is a par meter? It's my first year and I'm still learning ha

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here to say that if they weren't getting enough light than they wouldn't exist in the first place, I've found when duncans bud, if they are shaded than they will wilt away back into the skeleton, I think something else is at play here

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound dumb but what is a par meter? It's my first year and I'm still learning ha
A PAR meter is a device used to measure the intensity of light, different corals require different amounts of light, so the device can be used to determine the PAR of a certian location, which you can then use to see if said corals can do well there/if they're doing well there. Light requirements for corals is measured in PAR, and too little or too much PAR can result in an unhappy coral (example: corals like leathers can thrive in pretty much any PAR, while corals like acropora generally like higher PAR around 250+, while lower light corals like, say blastos can thrive at 50 PAR)

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A PAR meter is a device used to measure the intensity of light, different corals require different amounts of light, so the device can be used to determine the PAR of a certian location, which you can then use to see if said corals can do well there/if they're doing well there.
That's amazing thank you for the information!

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just saw this. Good explanation of a par meter. I've been amazed at how little light a lot of LPS need. Also, I cannot determine the difference between low par and high just looking at the light so a par meter has been very helpful for me.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting back in a little over a year ago I felt it necessary to purchase a par meter with all the changes to lighting since I have been gone. I am glad I did. I got an open box from brs. It came in perfect working order everything was spotless didnt even look used. I got it for about $100 less then a new one. Its really nice to know how much par you are putting to the corals. Not every coral plays by the rules though. I have zoas in 125 par typically a low light coral stretching for light. If I didnt have a par meter id guess it was lower than 50-75 par and I might be tempted to increase my output. In this case I will probably just move them to a higher par spot, again par meter to the rescue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back