White Fuzz...What is it?!

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the last month I have been battling this white fuzz. It started out on the sand bed and is now found on the live rock, power heads, and pumps.

I've been trying to siphon it out with little to no prevail. I reduced my lighting schedule and that didn't seem to work. My water parameters are all in check. My next plan of attack is to do 25% water changes every other day for a week.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a way to fix it? I'm thinking it might be a fungus or bacteria, but that's just a guess...

a9f0e0c8bea97725e4f92188a1cad5f8.jpg

4081fd21b287e6f00411fbf6bbd8b60e.jpg

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you do not have to Carbon does. I asked because sometimes when some over does it you will get a Bacterial bloom. How Old is the Tank?

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the three parts of this. The cure works great. I have dealt with this twice from overdosing carbon.

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/mystery-white-reef-slime

Three parts of the article? I'm not sure if there was more to the article than just the single page.

Either way, the "cure" would be big water changes until it subsides and then limiting the amount of chemicals we use in the house? I can unplug the air fresheners and limit our chemical cleaners, but I'm not sure if I am missing something. Please let me know if I am.

I really appreciate the advice and help. Once again Reef2Reef is proving to be an amazing resource!

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three parts of the article? I'm not sure if there was more to the article than just the single page.

Either way, the "cure" would be big water changes until it subsides and then limiting the amount of chemicals we use in the house? I can unplug the air fresheners and limit our chemical cleaners, but I'm not sure if I am missing something. Please let me know if I am.

I really appreciate the advice and help. Once again Reef2Reef is proving to be an amazing resource!

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/mystery-white-reef-slime-part-iii

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still very fresh and some of what is in photo could Dyno mixed in, you may have some trace amounts of Silica and most if not all get it, as it is released from the Substrate material. You may want to add a small amount of GFO or Phosguard to help remove the Silicates. Yes you have to be careful with things around the tank. 2 stories come to mind, first one was a guy in Flu season started to have problems with tank, turned out to be he was using a lot of hand sanitizer at that time and it turned out to be the cause of his troubles. The other was guy started to have problems even lost so fish and Corals, in the end he found out his wife was spraying Lysol in the room because of the skimmer smell, and this poor guy was going nuts well stopped the Lysol and things went back to normal.

MCFish23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling the white slime for a while now... I believe my thread was posted above. I tried the Dr Tim's and waste away approach and I saw no improvement. I have been scrubbing my rocks daily and have made sure to not miss a weekly water change and things are looking much better!

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling the white slime for a while now... I believe my thread was posted above. I tried the Dr Tim's and waste away approach and I saw no improvement. I have been scrubbing my rocks daily and have made sure to not miss a weekly water change and things are looking much better!

How long did you dose the waste away? I've gotten it twice and both time the waste away knocked it out. Can you post pics?

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have ordered both and they should be here by Monday. I will dose as recommended and report the progress.

Along with the dosing I will also begin doing a series of water changes to help battle the slime.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.0%
Back