White spots that don’t look like ich.

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ve had ich last year, I know what it looks like. I haven’t had a fish with ich since 6/8/23. The tank was empty for 100 days.

Slowly added two medium fish, no signs, healthy.

Added a four in angel after a few months. Same. Healthy, no signs.

Added this emperor on Tuesday. This fish was at my LFS in a stand alone tank for months. I watched him over the weeks all alone. He slowly lost color and by the time I took him home his colors were faded but no signs of any issues voracious appetite so I took him home.

So now his colors ARE starting to come back his appetite and behavior shows he’s happy here.

Here’s the question: as his colors come back in I’m noticing these interesting looking white spots that seem to be PART of him. Not appearing like a raise, bump, or external like I’ve seen Ich and Velvet sheen on fish before. Are they injuries? Scars? Some other virus?

Other fish: all appear totally normal except ONE new white spot on my other angel’s side that also don’t appear to be ich, if I had to guess the emperor probably nipped her, they’re similar in size, but very similar in appearance.

IMG_1432.jpeg
IMG_1428.jpeg IMG_1429.jpeg IMG_1427.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1407.mov
    21.6 MB
  • IMG_1369.mov
    35.5 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm. Since health-wise he looks good, not sure. Are they getting worse, better? My guess is that it's just that his color is coming back slightly different in different areas. Assuming he's not scratching, etc - any other potential symptoms of flukes

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ve had ich last year, I know what it looks like. I haven’t had a fish with ich since 6/8/23. The tank was empty for 100 days.

Slowly added two medium fish, no signs, healthy.

Added a four in angel after a few months. Same. Healthy, no signs.

Added this emperor on Tuesday. This fish was at my LFS in a stand alone tank for months. I watched him over the weeks all alone. He slowly lost color and by the time I took him home his colors were faded but no signs of any issues voracious appetite so I took him home.

So now his colors ARE starting to come back his appetite and behavior shows he’s happy here.

Here’s the question: as his colors come back in I’m noticing these interesting looking white spots that seem to be PART of him. Not appearing like a raise, bump, or external like I’ve seen Ich and Velvet sheen on fish before. Are they injuries? Scars? Some other virus?

Other fish: all appear totally normal except ONE new white spot on my other angel’s side that also don’t appear to be ich, if I had to guess the emperor probably nipped her, they’re similar in size, but very similar in appearance.

IMG_1432.jpeg
IMG_1428.jpeg IMG_1429.jpeg IMG_1427.jpeg

Emperor angels commonly blanch their skin at the site of external parasites. Could be ich or it could be Neobenedenia flukes (which this species is really prone to).

Jay

OP
OP
L

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor angels commonly blanch their skin at the site of external parasites. Could be ich or it could be Neobenedenia flukes (which this species is really prone to).

Jay
As it turned out he was just being dramatic lol nothing ever came of it and they all did great for a couple months after that…until there was a seam fail (never buy used tanks) and I ended up getting a new tank. But the new tank is up and doing well!

Attachments

• 72357805493__6BC62215-8497-49A0-A712-CE2B61B67729.jpeg
    72357805493__6BC62215-8497-49A0-A712-CE2B61B67729.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 7

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back