White stringy thing hanging from clownfish

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason is meds will kill inverts and bacteria. In a full blown reef this would be catastrophic. Other reasons are that some meds are absorbed by the rock and sand so they don't work. Large dt can be very expensive to treat where you can move fish to a smaller volume of water to treat.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so since I don't have a QT best way to do it is fusing the food with metro, what if it isn't eaten by the fish? I have inverts living in the tank as well.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to be sure you do your very best to keep the inverts from eating the medicated food. Target feed the fish and hope that the garlic covers up the meds.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will do so, and one last question metro or prazi I can probly get prazi at another LFS which is better for the DT

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is very safe. It is really the only medication you can directly dose to a dt. The only issue is if you have fan worms. However it treats fewer types of parasites then the metro. I would personally feel safer using it when working in a dt. Just keep in mind there is a small chance it won't work and you will need to use metro anyway. That being said I personally would give the Prazi then start looking into a qt for future use.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool thanks guys I really appreciate it, I am going to go to my LFS first thing tomorrow after school. Thanks again, you guys are a great help. I will keep you guys updated on what happens.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if needed a Rubbermaid tote makes a great QT tank. Add a heater and powerhead for flow and there you go QT on the cheap and available in small to very large size.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK here's the deal with internal parasites/intestinal worms. Praziquantel (i.e. Prazipro) eradicates most strains. However, there are a few which are prazi resistant and for these you must use metronidazole (exs. Metro-MS, Seachem Metroplex). IME; metronidazole is actually superior when it comes to treating intestinal worms because it covers more strains, but you still have to use prazi to kill gill flukes.

So what I've started doing in QT is treating with "API General Cure", which is a prazi/metro mix, instead of using Prazipro. And being API General Cure is in powder form there is less chance of interaction issues if you have to mix it with another med (like copper) than there is when mixing with liquid Prazipro. Prazipro contains Oxybispropanol, a solubilizing agent, and mixing this with certain other meds can lead to a bacterial bloom which can starve all oxygen out of the water. :oops:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK here's the deal with internal parasites/intestinal worms. Praziquantel (i.e. Prazipro) eradicates most strains. However, there are a few which are prazi resistant and for these you must use metronidazole (exs. Metro-MS, Seachem Metroplex). IME; metronidazole is actually superior when it comes to treating intestinal worms because it covers more strains, but you still have to use prazi to kill gill flukes.

So what I've started doing in QT is treating with "API General Cure", which is a prazi/metro mix, instead of using Prazipro. And being API General Cure is in powder form there is less chance of interaction issues if you have to mix it with another med (like copper) than there is when mixing with liquid Prazipro. Prazipro contains Oxybispropanol, a solubilizing agent, and mixing this with certain other meds can lead to a bacterial bloom which can starve all oxygen out of the water. :oops:

That's why Humblefish is the MAN!

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! Is the API product only usable in a QT? And I just feed my fish hes eating super aggressively. Its a good sign I think.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the tank and he had a brown poo hanging from him that fell of quickly...still had some of the clear/white components

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the tank and he had a brown poo hanging from him that fell of quickly...still had some of the clear/white components

I would still treat him for the parasites.

If you look at the pictures I posted see the dot at his caudal peduncle is that possibly ich?

I didn't see anything that looked like ich to me. Can you point out exactly where you see the dot? My eyes may not be good enough to see what your seeing.

OP
OP
Luka

Luka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see anything that looked like ich to me. Can you point out exactly where you see the dot? My eyes may not be good enough to see what your seeing.

On the second picture I posted, at the base of his caudal fin little brown dot.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know with intestinal parasites with dogs and cats you can have normal poop between abnormal poops. I don't see why that would be any different in fish.
I would agree with Melpyr and treat

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the second picture I posted, at the base of his caudal fin little brown dot.

I dont see anything abnormal about that fish besides his poop. I think i see the brown dot your talking about, and that's not ich. If your able to see ich at all, it's because the mucus coat has surrounded the insertion point of the parasite. That makes it appear white. You can't actually see ich with the naked eye. You just see the mucus coat surrounding them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you can do for intestinal worms is soak food with metro (exs. Seachem Metroplex, Metro-MS), using Seachem Focus as the binder. This makes it reef safe. Took about 2-3 weeks for me to clear an Eibli angel of intestinal worms doing it this way. So, it's slow acting.

Dicus6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got two clownfish yesterday and I noticed the white stringy stuff from anus. I want to thank all those that helped a new clownfish owner. So much to learn and learning every day. Thanks all you experts!

dannyd_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all just noticed today one my clowns has a long string from the anus (all white except the end) about an inch and a half long. I’ve had this guy for almost two years now, and introduced no new inhabitants in the past 6 months (except coral). Where would this parasite have come from, and would you still recommend doing prazi if i have a fan worm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back