Who’s Using Solar Power To Run Their Aquariums? Paying $.30/kWh in lower NY.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several. I am going DIY with everything minus the ground mount install which will be done by a local company.

Panels range from 400-550 watts.
  • Hyperion
  • Aptos
  • Boviet
  • Hyundai
  • Adani solar
Check with your local power company, they will cap your interconnect and not allow you to produce more than the max they negotiated with your local government. My local power company would not allow me to have a system that produced more than a specific amount. They still wanted their money one way or another. They blocked me from putting on 100 panels to cover my power usage.

Only commercial here in NC can have unlimited panels. Its a racket !!!!!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several. I am going DIY with everything minus the ground mount install which will be done by a local company.

Panels range from 400-550 watts.
  • Hyperion
  • Aptos
  • Boviet
  • Hyundai
  • Adani solar
DIY - now you are talking! Wish I had the skill!!!

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with your local power company, they will cap your interconnect and not allow you to produce more than the max they negotiated with your local government. My local power company would not allow me to have a system that produced more than a specific amount. They still wanted their money one way or another. They blocked me from putting on 100 panels to cover my power usage.

Only commercial here in NC can have unlimited panels. Its a racket !!!!!
Yup its BS. My current household I use about 2,000kwh a month. Already confirmed with local utilities as well as my county I can max 30kw or 60 panel array. You can go larger based off lot size. So different factors as well.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup its BS. My current household I use about 2,000kwh a month. Already confirmed with local utilities as well as my county I can max 30kw or 60 panel array. You can go larger based off lot size. So different factors as well.
Yeah I'm on ten Acres, that didn't matter they cap here at 2400 kWh

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add storage now and appreciate and advice.

I get a 1 for 1 kWh credit for every kWh I produce. The buy back rate after my consumption is pretty small so I sized my system to my needs.

That is nice. In Ca it is 1 to 3
I installed 64 - 430 watt panels on my home in NC. per Duke energy, my grid I built is the largest they will allow on a residential property
So far today 3:00pm I have consumed 58.1 kWh - I have produced 61.8 kWh - I have imported 26.8 kWh from Midnight to sunup, and I have exported 26.8 kWh. a net export of 3.7 kWh
So far today I'm ahead of my usage, but once the sun goes down I'll start going back wards on savings.

THis was the best investment I've made in a long time, my electric bill on average for 1 year has went from $600 per month cost prior to solar to and average of $225 per month.
We are very happy !!!! No starage batteries here because I can't produce more than my house uses.
My system is 850 gallons and Apex Neptune says $210.00 per month is my tank cost.

IMG_8411.PNG

Dumb question - is your utility a tier? If so wondering what you used for the Apex. We are tiered so I was going to average it or calculate 90th percentile and error on the high side.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nice. In Ca it is 1 to 3

Dumb question - is your utility a tier? If so wondering what you used for the Apex. We are tiered so I was going to average it or calculate 90th percentile and error on the high side.
im not tiered here. I have every single plug plugged into 1 of my 5 EB832's so i can see all my power used.
I even have my frozen food freezer plugged into an outlet on an EB832

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not tiered here. I have every single plug plugged into 1 of my 5 EB832's so i can see all my power used.
I even have my frozen food freezer plugged into an outlet on an EB832
Can’t you tell basic power consumption with your solar panel app?

Back