Who forgets to turn on equipment after a water change?

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not the first time I have forgotten to turn on important equipment after a water change. I forgot to turn on my rerun pump last night my tank dropped 7 degrees. Everyone seems good. Not the first time. Who else has forgotten to turn on equipment or plug it back in? I can’t be the only one who occasionally forgets. Most of the time I remember but I guess when I turned all my other equipment back on I missed the return pump. I always remember the ocean has fluctuations and is unpredictable too and as much as I hate power outages in my experience anywhere from 6-10 hours without power or vital equipment is okay. I try not to push it and I am going to buy a portable generator since it scares me every time I lose power which is not often.
When I start I set a reminder in my phone for 2hrs to turn my equipment back on.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never happens to me. My Hydros controller alerts me if something is off too long or turns it back on.
My apex does too but I typically do water changes at night and then go to bed so that’s part of the issue lol. Also it doesn’t happen often but it has happened.

KaiPono

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alexa voice routines with built in safety nets give me peace of mind. “Alexa, water change” turns off the ATO and return pumps, then starts a 20 min timer. If I forget to turn it all back on I know she’ll remember for me. Easy $20 automation!

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few cheap smart plugs plugged into the main equipment and a old ipad mini running smartlife to controll them so a cheap version to apex

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230908_134142_Chrome.jpg
get something like these and plug them into the return pump heaters and any other equipment with these you can link to a app called smartlife or tuya whatever u prefer which also allows you to link with alexa to be able to turn them off or set up a command word with Alexa so it turns them all off

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my stuff in feed mode so I don't have to worry about it. Only thing I have to pay attention to is the ATO and I forget to turn that back on the noise reminds me, has only happened once thankfully

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put my stuff in feed mode so I don't have to worry about it. Only thing I have to pay attention to is the ATO and I forget to turn that back on the noise reminds me, has only happened once thankfully
I find feed mode is only 10 mins its not long enough for me to clean the glass and refill the tank that's why I stick with smartplugs

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find feed mode is only 10 mins its not long enough for me to clean the glass and refill the tank that's why I stick with smartplugs
gotcha, I clean the glass almost daily so thats not an issue for me. And my water changes take a couple minutes at most.

Callum121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha, I clean the glass almost daily so thats not an issue for me. And my water changes take a couple minutes at most.
Might just be me them I take around half hour to do mine on a weekend as work long shifts at work and finish around 9.30pm so don't get enough time

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex, custom logic and automatic water changes help minimize risk for me. Forgetting to turn off the chiller and UV when stopping the return flow kept biting me, but the Apex now takes care of that aspect. Also, recently I made a backup of my Apex configuration and purchased a spare Apex, loaded the configuration file and have that on hand in case anything goes wrong. Spare return pump as well.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I choose Autoaqua AWC Duo lol...
It don't have to turn off return pump during water change
Thanks god for saving me from my bad brain :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back