Who here runs a tank with no filter socks or fleece roller?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter's 29 gal softie and LPS reef runs on just an oversized HOB skimmer and a small bag of Chemi Pure Elite nano, changed out monthly. No socks, canister filter or fleece roller.

I do a 10% water change once a month, and it's fine. The tank is pretty lightly stocked though.

robertjules1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze in tank skimmer and 1g HoB refugium. No sump, filter floss, socks, or fleece
1000033232.jpg
What is that on the rear tank wall? Love the tank!

anablue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downgraded from a felt sock to a nylon, not as effective and longer to clog, but I wanted something. Found a bristle worm in there the other day. Skimmer picks up the organics great and water very clear.

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always just used an external fluval and a tunze 6040 skimmer for the last 20 years and you should see the sponge life I have.

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just run 2 Melamine Sponges in a skimmer basket on my overflow side I change them out every 3-4 weeks

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running fleece rollers for a couple of years now. I've noticed my acans and blastos constantly struggle and don't thrive like I used to see in previous tanks. I'm thinking of pulling the rollers but not sure how I can silence the empty sock holders. I've got media cups but those are still very noisy. Any ideas what I can do to reduce the noise? I've had tried the cups with poly but for some reason I was having to change it almost every day because the poly would get compacted down and end up overflowing.

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my whole system is 400 gallons. I tried these huge socks. they would clog fast and overflow into the sump. my return pump is a reeflo hammerhead to push the water back upstairs to the main tank. It's a ton of water circulating. 20 years now no socks, no roller, no refugium, just a skimmer. My sump is a rubbermaid tub. I have over 200lbs of live rock in there. I think that helps a lot. I hung a halides over the top to keep it warm so there is a lot of coral growing in there. I do have an in between sump to hold my skimmer and it has bioballs in it. That catches all the crap coming out of the main tank. I have never cleaned that sump or my rubbermaid tub. There is a lot of life in there.

I am a poster child for what not to do in tank maintenance. If you disagree with my method you would be right, My tank is sps and clams and that is it and it is thriving. I hope this helps you out with your decision

Take care, Mike

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas what I can do to reduce the noise?
So I used the media cups and I was able to raise the water in the compartment so the noise was 99% eliminated.
This will likely mess up your skimmer set up….

Honestly there should be better solutions to this. Maybe there are different cups one can try…

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running fleece rollers for a couple of years now. I've noticed my acans and blastos constantly struggle and don't thrive like I used to see in previous tanks. I'm thinking of pulling the rollers but not sure how I can silence the empty sock holders. I've got media cups but those are still very noisy. Any ideas what I can do to reduce the noise? I've had tried the cups with poly but for some reason I was having to change it almost every day because the poly would get compacted down and end up overflowing.
I simply have my drain pipe extended underneath the water surface of the sump. It’s dead quiet as for the drain.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply have my drain pipe extended underneath the water surface of the sump. It’s dead quiet as for the drain.
I should have included that I've got a Waterbox with two holders. I'm not really wanting to modify it and remove the pieces that make up the filter area.

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have included that I've got a Waterbox with two holders. I'm not really wanting to modify it and remove the pieces that make up the filter area.
You don't have to remove anything or glue anything. you can literally just slide an extra piece of beveled PVC pipe on there so the water goes directly into the sump water, causing no splash.
1713289330854.png

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a great surprise! I had two Klir - 4's in my sump. I removed the front klir and inserted the filter cup. Removed the rear klir and before I had a chance to insert the other cup I realized there was no noise! The water level in the rear chamber is right at the underside of the cup holder so no waterfall noise.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Filter socks are a product of custom sumps which are also a pure waste of $

I stopped using mechanical filtration when I stopped using plastic bio balls in 1990

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back