Who here runs a tank with no filter socks or fleece roller?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m curious how many run no mechanical filtration other than a skimmer? I have a 180 gallon that I ran for over a year with a filter fleece roller. I decided to try a sock but remember why I hate them. I just pulled my sock out and am thinking of seeing what happens over the week with just my big skimmer.
Ive been using filter socks at least a decade now.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve always been a refugium first guy, skimmer second, filter pad in bubble trap rack. I think I’ve siphoned some of the sand in the refugium once, and it’s pretty spotless. Pods EVERYWHERE
IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. So is your ( anyone) water clarity pretty good still?

With the fleece roller, it worked great!! Maybe too great. I pulled it because the clarisea fleece was back ordered and my nitrates were lower than I wanted.

I went with a sock holder and a 7” sock and the cleaning of it every 3 days is horrible but now it’s clogging every 1.5 days. But I do not have multiple socks.

I hear several guys moving to no mechanical filtration other than skimmer and I’m definitely interested.
The clarity is very good in my tank. I do keep about 3 Tbsp of carbon in a filter net passively in the overflow box. That polishes the water.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have bristle worms or such but I do have lots of other things… several conchs, serpent stars, tons of snails and etc.

I always lol when I read things like this. You simply cannot have a reef tank, or SW tank for that matter without bristle worms. No matter how much you think you do not have them, they are in there.

I have not run filter socks in years, you just have to be able to put up with things floating in the water at all times.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always lol when I read things like this. You simply cannot have a reef tank, or SW tank for that matter without bristle worms. No matter how much you think you do not have them, they are in there.

I have not run filter socks in years, you just have to be able to put up with things floating in the water at all times.
Well I’ve never seen any. I understand they help with cleanup, but I’d prefer not to have anything that gets my fingers when working in the tank. I know I’ve seen some of the micro worms. I can’t recall what they are called. One of my friends is a coral seller and he imports wild stuff constantly. So I’m sure there are plenty of things that come in even though I do dip everything.

Jyeef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't use mechanical filtration, but a fuge first (sort of mechanical as the chaeto is thick) and then skimmer in the return pump chamber.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm heading down this road now with my new build. Felt socks have been removed and replaced with mesh. The next step is to pull the mesh socks. I'm trying a cryptic zone with an ATS no skimmer. We'll see how it goes once I start moving everything in.
I'm fine with sludge in the bottom of the sump. Its gives these guys place to live.
PXL_20240415_142332668.jpg

They wandered into my fish trap last night so I tossed them in the new sump.
PXL_20240415_143843928.jpg

I've don't understand the fear of bristle worms. I have hundreds maybe thousands (5 systems currently running) and have never ever been stung working in the tank. The only time I've been stung is holding a big fat one in my hand to take a photo and it was no more of a sting than what I got touching itch weed as a child.

EDIT: I added a roller to one tank last November and I think it is stripping too much so now I turn off the auto advance at night and just let it overflow.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm heading down this road now with my new build. Felt socks have been removed and replaced with mesh. The next step is to pull the mesh socks. I'm trying a cryptic zone with an ATS no skimmer. We'll see how it goes once I start moving everything in.
I'm fine with sludge in the bottom of the sump. Its gives these guys place to live.
PXL_20240415_142332668.jpg

They wandered into my fish trap last night so I tossed them in the new sump.
PXL_20240415_143843928.jpg

I've don't understand the fear of bristle worms. I have hundreds maybe thousands (5 systems currently running) and have never ever been stung working in the tank. The only time I've been stung is holding a big fat one in my hand to take a photo and it was no more of a sting than what I got touching itch weed as a child.

Same here! Turf scrubber with cryptic zone. No skimmer. And plenty of sludge

72C9A93C-9BC9-448D-B746-78135647285A.jpeg 0B6F369E-79DE-4CAC-863C-802C0BB9886E.jpeg

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter socks/rollers. No filter floss/polyfil. I want all of those particles to feed the coral and algae. I have a skimmer, refugium (caulerpa and chaeto mix) and an algae turf scrubber. Clarity is great. I'll use Calcium Carbonate every other week just to compare clarity.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my systems without any mechanical filtration, except for during the startup phase.

Reef61L-2024-03-13.jpg

BigReef-2024-03-06.jpg

Although I must confess, I think a permanent filter sock may become necessary for my new 38G tank, as it houses a Tiger Pistol/YWG pair that love turning the tank upside down, on a regular basis. And having all the sediments floating around in the water column simply will not do!!!

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger Ruby 36s, no socks as I want to keep the pod population up. Skimmer to fuge to return, with GFO reactor running from the return chamber. ~10% water change weekly-ish. Have run many tanks without socks, no problems besides more regular pump cleanings. I do try and keep the skimmer and return section clean from buildup, if it goes anywhere it needs to wind up in the fuge.

Last edited:

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter socks or fleece for me either. There are some foam pads between baffle areas to cut down on microbubbles getting from the basement sump back to the tank, but I rarely even rinse them (like once a year, if even that). Never had an issue with water clarity. Do run carbon periodically.

vdKroon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter socks or rollers around here either (and I've used both of them in the past). Skimmer, GAC, and ozone for 1 hour every 3 hours

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240413_192942.jpg
Have run/tried everything over 40 years, sometimes all at the same time.
Never wanted/had a roller.
Little bit ago got rid of everything.
No gfo, carbon, socks pads whatever.
Skimmer and rock.
Tank is going on 10 years, rocks probably 20.
Started a fuge about a month ago.
I'll never look back.
Done one water change in 6 weeks.
Used to do one every week.
This is 2 tanks on one sump.
20240402_200538.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back