Why are filter socks so big?

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a general question with maybe no practical purpose, but I can't help but to wonder.

Why are filter socks so big? They're almost the size of my forearm! I can't for the life of me figure out why a reef sock half that length wouldn't be just as effective. Not to mention, when you're running a Nano reef where you have to be conscious of space, that extra space at the bottom of the filter sock chamber could be used for something. Every time I change the sock, I would say the amount of debris it collected is way less than 1% of the filter sock capacity.

Am I missing something here?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 4" filter socks were half the size, I'd need to change them 2 or 3 times a week vs. once.
I think I'll be going back to 7" after my current stock of Reef Diapers is gone. I'll gladly take the 1.5-2 week change interval over the convenience of disposable socks.

OP
OP
M

MrPatel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 4" filter socks were half the size, I'd need to change them 2 or 3 times a week vs. once.
I think I'll be going back to 7" after my current stock of Reef Diapers is gone. I'll gladly take the 1.5-2 week change interval over the convenience of disposable socks.
I was under the impression that filter socks need to be changed twice a week regardless of capacity due to decompisiton of detritus.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that filter socks need to be changed twice a week regardless of capacity due to decompisiton of detritus.
They should be changed out more regularly, like every 3 days. That will keep like you said things from decomposing and adding nitrate and phosphate into the water column. Depending on my nutrient levels in the tank I sometimes remove them sooner or later. Its a way to help you control stuff that could otherwise be out of your influence.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd likely change them more often if I had water quality issues, but everything is seems to be stable and in an acceptable range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back