Why did you choose all dry rock to start your reef tank?

Why did you choose all dry rock to start your reef tank?

• Specific aquascape in mind (i.e. NSA)

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Cost

Votes: 68 45.3%
  • Easy to acquire dry rock

Votes: 62 41.3%
  • Avoid hitchhikers

Votes: 79 52.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 9.3%

• Total voters

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that live rock vs dry rock is highly debatable but as a somewhat old school reefer, it seems like there are more setbacks starting a reef tank with completely dry rock (especially with dinos). I just wanted to see which reason pushed people to go dry rocks instead of live rocks.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it mainly for easier aquascaping and also to see what all the fuss is about. We still have access to good live rock here in Aus.

The trick with all dry rock is to not treat it like a live rock start. You have to start low energy and build up slowly. The balance between light, nutrient import / export and CUC needs to be understood in relation to the system volume, then managed and adjusted as the system matures.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several benefits to only using dry rock to start, but for me cost was the main reason. I have actually said if I start a new tank I would use at least some live rock, until I priced live rock. I have started two new tanks since making that statement and I have used all dry rock both times.

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it mainly for easier aquascaping and also to see what all the fuss is about. We still have access to good live rock here in Aus.

The trick with all dry rock is to not treat it like a live rock start. You have to start low energy and build up slowly. The balance between light, nutrient import / export and CUC needs to be understood in relation to the system volume, then managed and adjusted as the system matures.
Would you start another reef with just dry rock from your experience?

And that is very true. You really need to have a different approach. I think along with people not understanding what entails with the different approach, overreacting can be detrimental to your reef.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that live rock vs dry rock is highly debatable but as a somewhat old school reefer, it seems like there are more setbacks starting a reef tank with completely dry rock (especially with dinos). I just wanted to see which reason pushed people to go dry rocks instead of live rocks.
I started with all dry rock (1/2 life rock, 1/2 Marco rock) back in March 2021.

I've had no problems at all (it was not my first tank and so knew what to watch out for

The tank had zero ugly stages and still has no algae that is not controlled by CUC and or herbivores.
No dinos, no problems at all.
IMG_4879.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several benefits to only using dry rock to start, but for me cost was the main reason. I have actually said if I start a new tank I would use at least some live rock, until I priced live rock. I have started two new tanks since making that statement and I have used all dry rock both times.
I agree, the cost is pretty crazy. When I first started, the prices per pound for live rock from the ocean is what we are being charged now for live rock that has been sitting in a curing system.

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with all dry rock (1/2 life rock, 1/2 Marco rock) back in March 2021.

I've had no problems at all (it was not my first tank and so knew what to watch out for

The tank had zero ugly stages and still has no algae that is not controlled by CUC and or herbivores.
No dinos, no problems at all.
IMG_4879.jpeg
your tank looks incredible! How did you seed your reef with bacteria?

Last edited:

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you start another reef with just dry rock from your experience?

And that is very true. You really need to have a different approach. I think along with people not understanding what entails with the different approach, overreacting can be detrimental to your reef.

Yes and no. I’ve done full dry start up twice now so feel like I’ve walked that path enough. I’m actually going to start up a new system soon. This time I’ll be pre aquascaping with dry, then mariculturing the rock myself in local waters for six months. It will likely be a macro algae / softie setup.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Carib-Sea Life Rock (which is dry) but purple already so I get instant 2 year coralline look same day instead of white rock turning green, then brown, and somewhere down the road, purple.

It matured up like any other rock and is quite porous.

I never ever use live rock. Too many nasties over the years.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no issues created solely by using dry rock, it just takes a couple months to mature. Most issues people are running into are side affects of rushing things and depending on bottles for a quick fix only leading to additional issues. Dinos as an example has zero to do with dry rock and the vast majority of cases are from using bottle bacteria to manage nutrient causing a bottom out.

I love some good ole true ocean rock but these days your just getting dry rock that spent time maturing in the ocean. Hitch hikers can be cool for sure but the cost just doesn't add up.

Dry Pros -
cost/availability
weight, shape, sizes
abilty to scape out of tank with no issues
no hitchhikers

Dry Cons
lack of initial coraline
lack of some hitch hikers (easy to add most anything you want)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank looks incredible! How did you seed your reef with bacteria?
Red Sea Reef Mature Kit (not using the NoPox) and after that finished added Microbacter 7.

Anything else came in on the livestock.

To this day I've never fed anything directly to the coral - I feed the fish and they feed the coral.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock in my reef started as dry rock but it has been moved from tank to tank over the past 10 years. I remember it being difficult at first but after it has spent years in water I always try to use it when I set up a new tank. I also put a bunch of dry rock in my sump of my main tank after I have the setup of the new tank to at least try to seed the rock a bit.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on setting up a new tank and in two minds on going for live rock or sticking with dry rock.

Live rock, plus live sand and premium live rock or just the plain old box-o-rocks and a bag of sand.

Cost is a factor, but many claim benefits going the live route, pretty much setting up an insta tank with zero ugly phase but doesn’t mean you can cram the tank full from day one.

Then again going the live rock route, will probably mean spending a good couple of weeks with a pair of tweezers and a flash light hunting for unwelcome hitchhikers followed by “what’s this in my tank threads”..

As for aqua scaping, pile-o-rocks, nsa or hnsa, you not really gonna see any of it when the corals start growing and filling up.

Boogieman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gtinnel Where did you get bacteria from? bottle or just add corals slowly? I Started with a Sterile tank I used life rock and still struggle with algea 3 years later. Nutrients have been stable for 2 years. Tried various brightwell products with little success Was thinking I need to start again and seed with some live rock.

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
II voted other, because I went with dry rock for my latest tank because I never had before, wanted to see if all the fuss was true…..

Season 4 Showtime GIF by Billions

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5091.png
    IMG_5091.png
    751.6 KB · Views: 114

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back