Why is my alkalinity dropping?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out why my alkalinity keeps dropping and hoping someone smarter than me can figure this out.
I have a Reefer 425 xxl that has marco rock and ocean direct sand. The lights have been off and theres no coraline in the tank yet. Im using Tropic Marin Pro Salt mixed to 35 ppt which in my storage bin is mixed. My alk in the bin is 8.4 and the pH is 8.1 stored in garage. This stays consistent 1-2 weeks into mixing. Im doing 1.5 gal water change daily through my DOS. My tank though my Alk is dropping to 7.9 and my pH struggles to stay above 7.7. I added a CO2 scrubber to my skimmer. My pH is now at 7.9. Opening a window isn't really possible as I live in Florida. I started dosing the tank with 20 ml of BRS soda ash mixed per instructions. My pH has barely moved and my alk is stable at 8.4. Why though do I need to dose alk into the tank without anything presumably using it? Is it just the lower pH from high CO2? Is there any better way to fix my pH?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a prolonged cycle. It’s 4 months old. Waiting on my tangs to finish quarantine to turn on the lights
Still doesn't explain the need to test for alk. I'd wait until you add coral before worrying about all/cal/mag

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out why my alkalinity keeps dropping and hoping someone smarter than me can figure this out.
I have a Reefer 425 xxl that has marco rock and ocean direct sand. The lights have been off and theres no coraline in the tank yet. Im using Tropic Marin Pro Salt mixed to 35 ppt which in my storage bin is mixed. My alk in the bin is 8.4 and the pH is 8.1 stored in garage. This stays consistent 1-2 weeks into mixing. Im doing 1.5 gal water change daily through my DOS. My tank though my Alk is dropping to 7.9 and my pH struggles to stay above 7.7. I added a CO2 scrubber to my skimmer. My pH is now at 7.9. Opening a window isn't really possible as I live in Florida. I started dosing the tank with 20 ml of BRS soda ash mixed per instructions. My pH has barely moved and my alk is stable at 8.4. Why though do I need to dose alk into the tank without anything presumably using it? Is it just the lower pH from high CO2? Is there any better way to fix my pH?
If you don’t have coral there is no need to be worried about alk.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that going to stabilize my alkalinity? If you can’t help answer the questions I asked I don’t really need your help and would appreciate letting someone who can answer help me out.
I answered this earlier. PH and alkalinity are closely related. Low pH usually means lower alk.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is that going to stabilize my alkalinity? If you can’t help answer the questions I asked I don’t really need your help and would appreciate letting someone who can answer help me out.
Right now your tank is so new it doesn't even have the lights on
You're a while away from adding coral. Get some algae growing, go through the "uglies" and then your system will be more mature and have some stability. Right now you're trying to adjust things artificially that might take care of themselves naturally.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I answered this earlier. PH and alkalinity are closely related. Low pH usually means lower alk.
I don’t think that is true. Higher pH results in higher alkalinity demand from coral. But my understanding of chemistry is that pH/CO2 levels don’t alter the ammount of alkalinity in the tank directly. Without uptake there shouldn’t be any change in Alk from the tank. Something is causing it to precipitate out

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now your tank is so new it doesn't even have the lights on
You're a while away from adding coral. Get some algae growing, go through the "uglies" and then your system will be more mature and have some stability. Right now you're trying to adjust things artificially that might take care of themselves naturally.
I’m waiting on tangs to turn on lights

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that the pro reef version of tropic marin salt mixes to a lower alk value as it is assumed an additive such as 2-part mixes will be uses to adjust cal/mag/alk for growing corals. I am keenly aware of this as it is the salt I use.
I agree that your tank is too early to "worry" about alk yet. PH and Alk are directly related, once the tank is settled you can look at dosing kalk or a 2-part or whatever the tank shows you it needs that will up your alk and give a ph boost. At this point you should turn the lights on and leave the tank alone to do it's thing. You're going to go through a bunch of ups and downs before the tank stabilizes.
If a low alk reading is you're only "issue" right now the tank is doing well. You really should have some algae growing in there if you are adding tangs though....don't want the tang police showing up!! LOL
Keep it up and hope it all goes well ;)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said there is no need to waste time and effort measuring Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium at this point.

Until you have fish and other animals in the tank there is nothing you need to adjust other than maintaining salinity. Ignore pH - it will sort itself out.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I’m not going to add corals if my numbers aren’t stable.
There is no need to test for alk, cal, and mag if you don’t have corals.

You need to get your lights on and get fish in there. You need to get through the ugly stage before you start adding corals.

Don’t rush I made the same mistake and I lost 4 corals.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back