Wife signed off a full build with an “open budget”

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this reef bug for years and had downsized all the way to a 10g when my wife and I moved in together, luckily this little tank and the ease of it allowed her to fall in love with the tank and hobby as a lifestyle over the years we have had tanks from 5gallons to 150g
IMG_0062.jpeg
IMG_4420.jpeg
IMG_4419.jpeg
IMG_9141.jpeg

but always second hand other than our last tank which was a custom 48x24x26 peninsula and together we built a steel stand solid oak skin and everything.
IMG_4619.jpeg

This was our first scratch build and she loved it but renting we couldn’t go any bigger and always talked about getting a bigger tank when we found the right house.

That tank was with us 7 years or so (still with us) but I always wished it was bigger and my wife agreed.

We found the perfect little house and we both agreed that this time we will do it no stops.

We were bringing fish with us that we have had for years including our very first fish we purchased together 13 years ago. He has been thru every tank we have owned and moved several times with us.
Now that's LOVE. Congratulations!

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently dealing with a worst case scenario situation in our new tank.

Our “clean” fish have somehow become infected with ich even tho the new additions were “qt” before buying.

We have lost the infected fish but it has spread across our residents and I’m worried for my irreplaceable yellowtang that’s been with us for 8 almost 9 years as he is coated! Our cleaner shrimp are useless they don’t clean the fish despite the fishes best efforts to get them to clean them

I’ve been using polyp lab medic but after researching I’m going to start h202 dosing along with keeping our uv running

Pray for us
So sorry to hear about this. I hope they pull through.

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about this. I hope they pull through.
We have lost 2 fish sofar and my yellowtang is covered in it but I have started the humble fish h202 protocol and ramping it next week and continuing for minimum 9 weeks

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build and so sorry to hear about the ich outbreak! Did your LFS QT them for you or did you buy from an online QT vendor? Keep us updated on how everyone's doing and praying for a favorable outcome!
From a lfs that claimed they qt’d the fish and I have bought copper treated fish from them in the past with zero issue I wonder if the kid grabbed the wrong fish (not in qt) or what happened.

But now my options are slim and to infect this brand new build is less than ideal and sucks to think about having this in the system but hopefully the h202 can kill it and save our fish

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update we are holding to peroxide dosing and the fish are looking better each day combined with uv and selcon soaked food we have staved off any further losses but the battle is far from over we are crossing our fingers and praying

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update we lost our clown tang, vlamingi, naso, 3 clowns, sleeper goby and angel

Everyone left is looking good so hopefully we are past the worst of it sucks loosing fish that we have had for years especially the clowns which we have had for 8 years and raised from tiny little fry and were a breeding trio

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update we lost our clown tang, vlamingi, naso, 3 clowns, sleeper goby and angel

Everyone left is looking good so hopefully we are past the worst of it sucks loosing fish that we have had for years especially the clowns which we have had for 8 years and raised from tiny little fry and were a breeding trio
So sorry about your losses!

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the fish. Hope it rebounds and the rest are fine. I had ich pop up when I swapped my fish into the new tank. I contribute it to the stress of the new environment.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m currently dealing with a worst case scenario situation in our new tank.

Our “clean” fish have somehow become infected with ich even tho the new additions were “qt” before buying.

We have lost the infected fish but it has spread across our residents and I’m worried for my irreplaceable yellowtang that’s been with us for 8 almost 9 years as he is coated! Our cleaner shrimp are useless they don’t clean the fish despite the fishes best efforts to get them to clean them

I’ve been using polyp lab medic but after researching I’m going to start h202 dosing along with keeping our uv running

Pray for us
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you considered a medication free quarantine? We have a 40 breeder dedicated to fattening up fish. Philosophy is a healthy and stress free fish will have a healthy immune system. Also helps to acclimate them to your food , maintenance and water. Good luck

OP
OP
Swfiend

Swfiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s an update

All the new fish died

Most of my old fish also died

Corals died

A little piece of my love of this hobby died….

Good thing I have a lot of love for it.

we still have a couple of our fish left but now a new battle has begun. A few corals decided to kick the can. And a couple more not lookin too happy.

Strangely enough my green slimer is browning on the top with some stn while the shaded side is looking perfect and a peach with teal polyp monti is browned and bleached across different spots

I don’t know what’s going on.
Going to hand check tomorrow but trident saying

Alk 7.3 ca 391 mag 1256

Alk dropped a bit this past month while dealing with the sick fish but got the doser set up and dialed in. Bringing alk back to where it should be

Side note one of my snails dropped his shell and is just cruising around naked have you ever seen this before?
IMG_0398.jpeg

Here’s and updated fts
IMG_0268.jpeg

Last edited:

vandy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s an update

All the new fish died

Most of my old fish also died

Corals died

A little piece of my love of this hobby died….

Good thing I have a lot of love for it.

we still have a couple of our fish left but now a new battle has begun. A few corals decided to kick the can. And a couple more not lookin too happy.

Strangely enough my green slimer is browning on the top with some stn while the shaded side is looking perfect and a peach with teal polyp monti is browned and bleached across different spots

I don’t know what’s going on.
Going to hand check tomorrow but trident saying

Alk 7.3 ca 391 mag 1256

Alk dropped a bit this past month while dealing with the sick fish but got the doser set up and dialed in. Bringing alk back to where it should be

Side note one of my snails dropped his shell and is just cruising around naked have you ever seen this before?
IMG_0398.jpeg

Here’s and updated fts
IMG_0268.jpeg
We had a naked snail in our tank! Called him blobby. Having him in the tank actually made my wife interested in the hobby. We would sit for hours trying to find what little crevice he was able to fit into after he lost his shell.

We have pre-naked blobby tattood on us to commemorate him!

3FC98C48-7DB8-4420-AF6E-35FBEFDF63A2.jpeg

Keep up the posts!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! To get your build badge all you have to do is go to your account/account details and link this thread in the "tank build" section towards the bottom.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh I must have missed it - something happened :<

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I’m sorry to hear about your losses. Don’t lose hope, there are always inevitable ups and downs in this hobby. For f sake, you designed a portion of your house around this! You can do this, we are always here for support.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back