Will this acro survive?

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it like this last night with a tiny white crab that had been eating it no idea were the crab came from? Looks like its been getting eaten is it done for?

CD79045F-D568-4F01-BE8F-8DAD0E7296BD.jpeg

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s bleached .
but looks like there might still be polyps ?
Hard to tell from the picture .
As long as there is no algae growing on it , it’s still alive
Nah mate its been eaten from the bottom up ill try post a better pic now the pinker pays are wer it hasnt been eaten

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 63

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bleached and either rtn/stn. I doubt that a crab did that damage. More likely stressEd coral into an rtn/stn event. It’s possible to bring it back if some flesh remains. I’d say Not great chances though at this point.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah mate its been eaten from the bottom up ill try post a better pic now the pinker pays are wer it hasnt been eaten
If you could take a picture of the crab that would be helpful. Does the crab have a smooth texture to it with thin claws? Possibly a black band over its face. I’m suspecting that the crab you have might be a acro crab. If it is an acro crab (which normally is hosted by acros and pocis) I doubt that the damage is done by the crab since they live symbiotically.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could take a picture of the crab that would be helpful. Does the crab have a smooth texture to it with thin claws? Possibly a black band over its face. I’m suspecting that the crab you have might be a acro crab. If it is an acro crab (which normally is hosted by acros and pocis) I doubt that the damage is done by the crab since they live symbiotically.
Think it was a baby emerald crab i took it out . Could an emerald crab do this do you think?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it was a baby emerald crab i took it out . Could an emerald crab do this do you think?
I don’t think its a baby emerald crab since its more likely the crabs that hitchhike on acros are either acro crabs or baby gorilla crabs. Either way, the way your acro is looking seems to lean to rtn/stn. It does look like the flesh is peeling. May I ask, how long has that acro been in your tank and in that position?

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think its a baby emerald crab since its more likely the crabs that hitchhike on acros are either acro crabs or baby gorilla crabs. Either way, the way your acro is looking seems to lean to rtn/stn. It does look like the flesh is peeling. May I ask, how long has that acro been in your tank and in that position?
Ok mate im looking now and didnt look like any of those. Ill have a look into rtn/stn now as i have no idea what it is. Its been ther for a week now seemed ok till today

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok mate im looking now and didnt look like any of those. Ill have a look into rtn/stn now as i have no idea what it is. Its been ther for a week now seemed ok till today
It is definitely peeling aswell

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STN/RTN for sure from the looks of it. I would try to cut off the living portion, dip it, and pray.

Is this a wild/mari piece? Or something that has been established in your tank for a while?
I dont have the stuff to do that all i have is the clippers . Got it from an lfs last week with 4 other pieces this one seems to be only one thats not ok

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely peeling aswell
RTN: Rapid tissue necrosis and STN: Slow tissue necrosis. Its basically a generic term to describe how fast a coral die back/recede. Its a symptom rather than a specific disease. I have had new frags that were probably too stressed from shipping and being fragged by the seller just before shipping. They would just deteriorate within a week. If i am lucky the recession stops and it would take about. Weeks to a month before it starts to recover. I know it is definitely not my parameters, flow and lighting that is the issue since I can have sps from the same batch starting to encrust within a week.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN: Rapid tissue necrosis and STN: Slow toasue necrosis. Its basically a generic term to describe how fast a coral die back/recede. Its a symptom rather than a specific disease. I have had new frags that were probably to stressed from shipping and being fragged by the seller just before shipping. They would just deteriote within a week. If i am lucky the recession stops and it would take about. Weeks to a month before it starts to recover. I know it is definitely not my parameters, flow and lighting that is the issue since I can have sps from the same batch starting to encrust within a week.
Cheers for taking the time to explain that mate . Do you know if i could just clip the good bits and glue them to a frag plug?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STN/RTN for sure from the looks of it. I would try to cut off the living portion, dip it, and pray.

Is this a wild/mari piece? Or something that has been established in your tank for a while?
+1 this is your best bet for now. However not to be pessimistic but from the looks of your acro, its faded and has lost alot of its tissue. It’s likely to not make it within a day or two. Still it doesnt hurt to try and frag it.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 this is your best bet for now. However not to be pessimistic but from the looks of your acro, its faded and has lost alot of its tissue. It’s likely to not make it within a day or two. Still it doesnt hurt to try and frag it.
Thanks for taking the time anyway mate i think ill just leave it n see what happnds when should i remove it?

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking the time anyway mate i think ill just leave it n see what happnds when should i remove it?
Hmm, personally only once it is completely white would I remove it. If you still have confidence you can leave it until the skeleton turns from white to brown-green. That’s when you know the coral is truly dead and algae has begun settling and growing. Just wondering, do you have any sps (acro, monti, poci, seriatopora etc) in the same tank?

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, personally only once it is completely white would I remove it. If you still have confidence you can leave it until the skeleton turns from white to brown-green. That’s when you know the coral is truly dead and algae has begun settling and growing. Just wondering, do you have any sps (acro, monti, poci, seriatopora etc) in the same tank?
Yes i shall take a pic only a few

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 51

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i shall take a pic only a few
Looking good. Also monitor your waterflow. You’ll learn that one thing acro likes more than possibly light, and that is flow. Lots and lots of turbulent flow. Took me a while to adjust my power heads. Play around with it.

Here’s some of mine (some of my acros). My favs would definitely be the Millepora. Excellent polyp extension. But the flow in my tank is...really strong. Like it would sometimes shake the coral frags off if they arent secured properly. This mostly to discourage my sexy shrimps from picking on the acros.

Attachments

• CA89B7B8-194D-45CF-AA9E-9532EDE21A77.jpeg
    CA89B7B8-194D-45CF-AA9E-9532EDE21A77.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 51
  • CA3FFC32-59C0-4D6D-968E-C7F9E5E4FAA8.jpeg
    CA3FFC32-59C0-4D6D-968E-C7F9E5E4FAA8.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 96099F41-C9BF-4640-B291-E346A2AB8965.jpeg
    96099F41-C9BF-4640-B291-E346A2AB8965.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 40
  • B20F83AC-977E-428E-BABB-748B3AAE8FAB.jpeg
    B20F83AC-977E-428E-BABB-748B3AAE8FAB.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 44

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back