Word Press

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone here play around with Word Press? I'm converting my site over from static pages to WP and am playing with this for the first time.

Did anyone teach themselves? I've taught myself HTML to make my current site and am hoping it's possible to do it with this platform.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little nervous I won't be able to get it like I want. There's a couple features I'm hoping I can bring over, but I'm not sure. Oh me nerves!

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is almost no limit to what you can do with it. If one theme doesn't have it, another will. What exactly do you want to bring over?

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a little audio thingy that when you click on the icon, it pronounces the word. I know I can get a little audio bar in there, but I want it to be linked to the little arrow thingy next to the lionfish names like I have now.

You can see an example in here. Audio

I also have the hitchhikers guide where it's a page within a page..... I'm not sure how I want to proceed that that.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I white screened the one theme...... I swear this is harder than writing out code.

I bought a new theme and I really like it. Let's see how long it takes me to white screen this one.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding a correct them for a project has always been a pain for me. Where are you buying your themes from?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, i've been using squarespace. It was recommended to me over wordpress by an awesome web designer.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding a correct them for a project has always been a pain for me. Where are you buying your themes from?

I love my new theme. I've made a promise to myself I would not dinker around with the code this time. That's how I white screened myself.

My theme now is Avada. I believe I found the free version of it within WordPress itself.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Wordpress it is a security nightmare. Recommend Squarespace much better to use and easy to set up.
http://www.squarespace.com/

Ya, i've been using squarespace. It was recommended to me over wordpress by an awesome web designer.

While I appreciate the suggestions, I've paid for my theme and spent the last month trying to learn this stuff. I'm a little too committed to change directions right now.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing I bought a couple of themes and just didn't like the experience of working with the software. An I do sites for friends so I try to make them easy for them to work with and not bother me every minute about how to do something easy. They just use me when they want to do something new.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the maximum size a single photo should be? Do you have any suggestions for methods of optimizing photos that you like? Maybe a plugin? On my old site, I paid no attention to that, which I'm sure wasn't a good thing. This time I want to do things "right". It's a little photo heavy in some regards.

I've had a great experience with Wordpress so far. I think the site is coming along nicely. It's the hitchhikers guide I'm having trouble converting.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all work of the same basic compression tech. I used Photoshop for this but now just let Squarespace sort it out.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've played with optimization and photoshop, but I'm really not liking the options. Maybe I need to go look at it again. I want to optimize, but not so that one could notice, especially on the gallery pages. I'm also not looking to blanket optimize everything. There's some I'd rather be left alone.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back