Working with PVC sheets

big hands JC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this forum looking for information on PVC sheeting. There was a post from a guy using sheet to build a drip tray. My use is related to drips of a different kind. I want to make a splash shield to hang temporarily on the underside of a toilet seat when it is lifted. This is to prevent urgent or poorly aimed "splashes" from getting under toilet seat attachment area. The seat is one with a bidet attachment and very difficult to clean under without removing the seat and assembly . My idea is to take a sheet about 1/8" thick 20" x 12" cut to shape and form it slightly into a curve with a heat gun to direct the "stream" downward.

It would a lip of sorts or a hook to hang on the seat in the up position and extend down into the bowl. Ideally, one a "stand up" tall urinal like in department stores, etc world be great but my wife would not like that. Commercially available products like this are available but the bidet attachment is in the way.

I'm looking for advice on what kind of plastic, how thick, etc would be best for this, particularly forming it with heat, not necessarily how to engineer it. I also hope there will be no advice for me to become a "seated gentleman".

OP
OP
B

big hands JC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned in my post, I found this forum by searching for PVC, etc. IS the Other than a picture of PVC pipes, on his post, was the box he fabricated with sheets of PVC, also out of the scope of this forum?

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the context of using PVC piping as plumbing water lines for circulation/filtration in an aquarium system, yes.

PVC sheeting for remodeling a restroom is a completely different thing.

You would be better served in a general home-improvement forum of some sort.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1712266990463.png

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the context of using PVC piping as plumbing water lines for circulation/filtration in an aquarium system, yes.

We sometimes use PVC Sheets to build sumps sometimes too... The OP is asking a direct question about how heat will work, or which plastics are better for heat deformation... I don't think that's totally out of the scope of this forum... His application is just a bit off the mark (So is his aim apparently)... But since his real question has to do with real world challenges also faced by some reefers, I say let it ride....

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for advice on what kind of plastic, how thick, etc would be best for this, particularly forming it with heat, not necessarily how to engineer it. I also hope there will be no advice for me to become a "seated gentleman".
Pvc or acrylic would both be good for this. But acrylic doesnt get along with harsh cleaning products. A not flame heat source will give you a better looking end product. As far as thickness goes Id just use what ever seems right for your application, somewhere around 1/8" should be just fine.

This is the second thread in two days where people have just jumped on someone for no real reason. Chill

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea it sure would be terrible if people posted handyman tips for random stuff that people here might be able to use for their reefs. You really cant think of reef application for a splash guard?

OP
OP
B

big hands JC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was thinking there were snobs here. I wish I could find the posts resultant from my search for info on PVC sheet, fabrication, etc. IT was on this forum. It was specifically about building an enclosure around PVC pipes for some project. There were a number of pictures of PVC pipes, but the project was the enclosure, and he discussed cutting, gluing etc. I was thinking of putting an old length of PVC on top of my toilet, which might make it part of the forum scope.

And yes, I can laugh about the "aim". You and the other guys will be 79 yrs old someday too. Will you be doing DYI projects still?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was thinking there were snobs here. I wish I could find the posts resultant from my search for info on PVC sheet, fabrication, etc. IT was on this forum. It was specifically about building an enclosure around PVC pipes for some project. There were a number of pictures of PVC pipes, but the project was the enclosure, and he discussed cutting, gluing etc. I was thinking of putting an old length of PVC on top of my toilet, which might make it part of the forum scope.

And yes, I can laugh about the "aim". You and the other guys will be 79 yrs old someday too. Will you be doing DYI projects still?
Pay them no mind, sir. Any pvc sheet should be perfectly fine for your application. A hobby store heat gun will get the job done for you.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck is going on in here!! Just pee outside or aim better. I never heard of such a question.

OP
OP
B

big hands JC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck is going on in here!! Just pee outside or aim better. I never heard of such a question.

I suppose some people can't read. The post is about fabricating with PVC. As for peeing, do you have a special friend to hold yours and it reduces your ability to read? Oh, I'm going to get kicked off here for sure now.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.3 million results - hard to say how one of the top was reefing related. Although there are some DIY users of PVC sheets. I just don't think you will get what you are looking for here for your application.

I'm not sure how to put in better search criteria to get your better results...

1712270524490.png

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, the "what is going on here!!! Just pee outside or aim better. I have never heard of such a question". Kind of comes off as "get the f outta here, with that nonsense." That's how I read it...
I read it exactly the same. Last I checked this wasn't reddit.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thread cleaned up. If someone is way off topic with their questions then it’s up to the staff to let them know. It’s the memberships duty to be kind to people. Please be kind and if you have questions about a post please let us know by reporting it. Thank you.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back