Would You Pay $10K for this Bounce Mushroom? (Must Watch Video)

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with saying,... it's all relative. In order to answer this question logically there are way too many variables to consider. Is that a piece for a collector? How much money does a person have? , How much do they want that piece? , How many other pieces like that are out there? Depends on the situation the person is in . I believe ultimately its a collector's hobby and nothing in this hobby is worth a penny unless there is a demand for it. Asking whether this shroom is "worth the money" is almost like asking are these paintings worth the money.?
Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 5.28.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 5.27.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 5.28.41 PM.png

To correct you post, it's all in the name.
Newman could literally take a giant Duce then paint it and put his name on it and sell for millions.

And the same logic can be applied to corals; WWC, Jason Fox, And so forth!

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno why it double posted!

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think these are worth nearly what they go for. No offense to those that put the money down for them, but I just don't see the attraction when comparing them to several other corals. The berserker is kind of cool. I would not pay $10K for any coral, even if I had unlimited funds, though.

Rcfiftyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a year or two the market will be saturated and these "bounce mushrooms " will be selling for a fraction of what they are today. Same thing happens with the designer zoas and really any other "signature coral" for that matter. I guess you could pay $10k for one and frag it into 10 pieces to sell for $1000 each. That way you could make your money back after you came to your senses and realized you paid $10000 for a softie! :)

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a year or two the market will be saturated and these "bounce mushrooms " will be selling for a fraction of what they are today. Same thing happens with the designer zoas and really any other "signature coral" for that matter. I guess you could pay $10k for one and frag it into 10 pieces to sell for $1000 each. That way you could make your money back after you came to your senses and realized you paid $10000 for a softie! :)

That's what I thought when I first saw these in late 2012 early 2013, at that time they where a few hundred for a quarter sized one now they are going for much much more and some how spreading like cancer!
I regret not buying a few back then.

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt even look nice! Its an ugly coral! I would pay $20 just to see if it would be alive in my tank! I have a hard time keeping ricordias. I wonder if those would be the same! $20 I'll take it lol.... I like my rainbow acans better :)

rckfsh44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of $$$ for a shroom, it's kind of absurd , I'm sure once these shrooms are more prolific the price should come way down, I hope

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My jaw dropped when I saw this one at the show and then I saw what Reef Raft USA had and was in shock!

image.jpeg

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't like them, but am happy to see them sell for as much as they do. Regular middle class people aren't the ones buying them. Upper class people with an interesting hobby are. That only boosts our economy. They also probably invest in the banks that gave me my mortgage. ;-)

So, we should rejoice to see those with more, pumping that back into our local economies.

Matt

sdbdrz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too each their own I guess. I wouldn't pay $10K because I just dont like them. The demand will dictate the price and if someone is willing to pay $10k good for the seller :) Most people who dont have an interest in the hobby would think we are all insane if we told them what our tanks and the stuff in them cost :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back