Wrass death (under the microscope)

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I got a longfin ruby fairy wrass shipped to me and it came in looking OK, a little rough fins and quite stressed but I thought it was nothing I couldnt handle. It went in a 20 gallon long along with 4 other fish and everything was going smoothly. I didnt notice any symptoms on any fish except the ruby fairy wrass today. the fairy wrass ate a little earlier but then later on I dosed prazipro it was breathing heavy about 4 hours or so after I dosed it. A couple hours later and it was randomly dead inbetween a sponge filter and the back of the tank.

I have no clue how this fish died but my guesses are: It either came in too stressed and weak for the prazipro, or it got squished, or it was sick.

I took some gill and slime samples and this is what I was able to find under the microscope, besides this I was not able to find much and it wasnt very conclusive. I wasnt able to see anything moving

this was under 100x magnification and I wasnt able to find anything that was interesting smaller
1711607278395.png
1711607302626.png
1711607421536.png
1711607460032.png

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi can be really tough on a stressed fish. It can deplete oxygen levels, which can be dangerous for a fish already struggling. This is probably why you saw the fish struggling to breath after dosing prazi, at which point it would have been best to remove it from Prazi, or at least increase oxygen with something like an air stone.

If I received a stressed fish I would quarantine it alone. I would also not start any medication on the first day or two unless there were signs of disease.

There is a reason that QT protocol moves from copper to prazi at the end. Putting an already stressed fish in a low oxygen environment is a bad idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi can be really tough on a stressed fish. It can deplete oxygen levels, which can be dangerous for a fish already struggling. This is probably why you saw the fish struggling to breath after dosing prazi, at which point it would have been best to remove it from Prazi, or at least increase oxygen with something like an air stone.

If I received a stressed fish I would quarantine it alone. I would also not start any medication on the first day or two unless there were signs of disease.

There is a reason that QT protocol moves from copper to prazi at the end. Putting an already stressed fish in a low oxygen environment is a bad idea.
I had an air stone going In the water along with a hang on back creating more water flow, and I did wait til the 2nd day to dose but looking back I could have waited longer

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an air stone going In the water along with a hang on back creating more water flow, and I did wait til the 2nd day to dose but looking back I could have waited longer
Well, sorry you lost the fish. It may not have been the Prazi if it was already rough when you got it. Who can say?

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sorry you lost the fish. It may not have been the Prazi if it was already rough when you got it. Who can say?
yeah im still not sure what quite happened to it.
Where did you buy the fish from?
Petco online, not a good source but theres no good LFS besides petco/petsmart near me within 2 hours and other online retailers didnt have all of the fish I wanted and I would have to place multiple orders from multiple different sites costing me possibly hundreds in shipping. Luckily petco does offer a 7 day refund so I was able to get a replacement shipped and it should get here today which will be going in a separate 10 gallon I set up yesterday that I will be taking a little slower and carefully

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah Quality Marine... i think they do petco...

I hate Quality Marine... I bought 2 wrasses from LiveAquaria, which uses Quality Marine as there CA warehouse.

Well... they thought since i was local, i wouldn't need heat packs... They did this TWICE to me... i lost the wrasse each time i ordered one.

I think these guys coming DOA speak for themselves on why i do not like Quality Marine.

I got a credit back on them.

20240321_103143.jpg

20240312_102941.jpg

I decided to not order anything from the CA Warehouse from now on.

So i am placing fault on the vendor if it was Quality Marine...

Did you get the box packed in Korean News Paper?
That should be a good give away... This is how they shipped me fish btw... no heat pack... and korean news paper as a insulator / protection.

20240321_095644.jpg

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah Quality Marine... i think they do petco...

I hate Quality Marine... I bought 2 wrasses from LiveAquaria, which uses Quality Marine as there CA warehouse.

Well... they thought since i was local, i wouldn't need heat packs... They did this TWICE to me... i lost the wrasse each time i ordered one.

I think these guys coming DOA speak for themselves on why i do not like Quality Marine.

I got a credit back on them.

20240321_103143.jpg

20240312_102941.jpg

I decided to not order anything from the CA Warehouse from now on.

So i am placing fault on the vendor if it was Quality Marine...

Did you get the box packed in Korean News Paper?
That should be a good give away... This is how they shipped me fish btw... no heat pack... and korean news paper as a insulator / protection.

20240321_095644.jpg
Well I did get heat packs and proper shipping this time. I live in CA but the packaging was a bit different. That’s a shame what happened with those wrass and I have decided I’m going to try to only buy from better sellers OR in LFS if I go out of town

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back