Wrasse compatibility for 75g

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g tank I’ll be setting up by end of the year. There’s a crap ton of wrasse that I like and need a way to narrow it down. Which wrasses are compatible or you would recommend for a 75g? I’d like to have 2-3. The wrasses that I have taken a liking to are:
•Potters wrasse (macropharyngodon geoffroyi)
•Christmas wrasse (halichoeres Claudia)
•Vrolik wrasse (halichoeres chrysotaenia)
•Melanurus wrasse (halichoeres Melanurus)
•Pink-streaked wrasse (pseudocheilinops ataenia)
•Yellow banded possum wrasse (wetmorella nigropinnata)
•adorned wrasse (halichoeres cosmetus)
•Multicolor Lubbocks fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
•Two tone wrasse (halichoeres prosopeion)

If I had to pick my favorite color wise it’d be the adorned, Lubbock, potter, and Christmas wrasses. I do plan on having CUC of Nass, hermit, turbo, trochus, skunk cleaner, conch, possibly star. Tank dimensions 48x15x24.
Picture below are other fish im interested in. Not included is a valentini puffer but im super on the edge about him.

IMG_9889.jpeg

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is set in stone I’m still trying to figure out the compatibility of everything. The fish I’m INTERESTED in are squaretail bristletooth tang, chalk bass or Randall’s assessor basslet, clown fish, Talbots or blue green chromis, coral beauty or black nox angel, mandarin or ruby red dragonet, tailspot blenny, green canary Blenny, carrberyi anthias or purple queen anthias (I know the feeding is an issue), Bagaii or flame or stoplight cardinal, flame hawkfish, Midas Blenny, valentini puffer.

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface has been in my 75 gallon for a year and many more to go. He is first now like 3 inches long. They do not grow real fast. So keep him on the list. Mine is awesome getting along with everyone.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface has been in my 75 gallon for a year and many more to go. He is first now like 3 inches long. They do not grow real fast. So keep him on the list. Mine is awesome getting along with everyone
Awesome! My plan was to buy as small as I can. What stock do you have in yours? Maybe I can get some inspo lol

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The foxface is a tricky fish. I bought mine teeny tiny (2 inches or so) 6 months ago. It is around 6 inches now. Grew super duper fast. Sometimes you get a specimen that stays smaller just like there are smaller people out there than others but that’s not usual with foxface rabbitfish. A bristletooth tang is totally doable in a 75, particularly if it’s a 4 foot long 75 with plenty of hiding spaces.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foxface is a tricky fish. I bought mine teeny tiny (2 inches or so) 6 months ago. It is around 6 inches now. Grew super duper fast. Sometimes you get a specimen that stays smaller just like there are smaller people out there than others but that’s not usual with foxface rabbitfish. A bristletooth tang is totally doable in a 75, particularly if it’s a 4 foot long 75 with plenty of hiding spaces.
Is yours the one spot? And yeah I plan on having lots of rock. I kinda like the idea of two mounds almost and maybe a cliff. It will be a FOWLR possibly softie later on.

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following just because I have same size tank and want to get a wrasse or two but don’t want issues. Currently leaning towards possum wrasse. Dont need anyone with attitude lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g tank I’ll be setting up by end of the year. There’s a crap ton of wrasse that I like and need a way to narrow it down. Which wrasses are compatible or you would recommend for a 75g? I’d like to have 2-3. The wrasses that I have taken a liking to are:
Unfortunately is no longer in the hobby as it is Hawaiian. If you are extremely lucky you could get Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus instead. They are even prettier but pretty rare.
Too many Halichoeres and you are getting too similar species. To avoid aggression find different looking/shaped species like H iridis. H melanurus is particularly antisocial.
Awesome
Awesome
Awesome but you should get more fairies like an exquisite, C exquisitus.

If I had to pick my favorite color wise it’d be the adorned, Lubbock, potter, and Christmas wrasses. I do plan on having CUC of Nass, hermit, turbo, trochus, skunk cleaner, conch, possibly star. Tank dimensions 48x15x24.
Picture below are other fish im interested in. Not included is a valentini puffer but im super on the edge about him.

IMG_9889.jpeg
Personally I think foxes are fine in smaller tanks but not tangs. Tangs are far more active and aggressive. I’d keep the fox and cut the tang.

Also cardinals are boring. Stick to one blenny. Anthias fade away without heavy feeding. And chromis aren’t worth the uronema.

I’d add a couple flasher wrasse and a fairy or two. A couple leopard wrasse. A couple Halichoeres. A blenny, a basslet, the fox. Some gobies and a mandarin/scooter when ready. A clown pair if you want.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, I disagree with the Foxface not working out. I’ve had 4-5 and none of them were as boisterous as a tang nor were they as active. To me, Tangs are overrated as they just come with too many issues, even in the Ctenochaetus genus. They’re way too territorial and active. Angels are always the better move IMO.

Some species can grow fast but IME, many don’t.

If you want something unusual for the top spot but also slow in growth, I’d do the Magnificent. My one I had prior to my new guy was 3-4 inches when I bought him and he grew to 6-7 inches in the 5 years I had him. They can grow fast but they mainly grow in spurts.
IMG_0191.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swap for a blue star leopard, M. bipartitis
Yes!
I'd stick to the claudia
Get a pair of them. Wonderful in a peaceful tank.
I like them but haven't tried one.
I would swap for an H. iridis as @Slocke mentioned. Contrast with the christmassy wrasse.
Yes! But also get other fairies/flashers.
I would consider another leopard instead, like a black leopard, Macropharyngodon negrosensis. Two Macropharyngodon and two Halichoeres for your sand sleepers.
@Slocke would an Anampses like neosanguinus or meleagris work in that tank?

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately is no longer in the hobby as it is Hawaiian
Awe man I didn’t realize that was apart of it. Bummer :( that looks like a pretty wrasse. I’ll add him potentially. So it sounds like I should skip Melanurus if they’re antisocial?
Awesome but you should get more fairies like an exquisite, C exquisitus
I didn’t know I could bc it says 90g minimum on live Aquaria. So I pretty much only looked at wrasses 75g or lower on there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, I disagree with the Foxface not working out. I’ve had 4-5 and none of them were as boisterous as a tang nor were they as active. To me, Tangs are overrated as they just come with too many issues, even in the Ctenochaetus genus. They’re way too territorial and active. Angels are always the better move IMO.

If you want something unusual for the top spot but also slow in growth, I’d do the Magnificent. My one I had prior to my new guy was 3-4 inches when I bought him and he grew to 6-7 inches in the 5 years I had him. They can grow fast but they mainly grow in spurts.
I feel like I’ll most likely get the fox face. Just get him as small as I can get him. My bf is the one who really likes the tangs. If they don’t work with the flow of the tank then we’ll cross it off for now. Idk if I’m digging the magnificent. I think I like the one spot bc it’s smaller and has more yellow. I do like the angels I’m just worried about nipping at inverts and softies if I go that route. In your experience has your foxface nipped at coral? I read they can do that too.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel like I’ll most likely get the fox face. Just get him as small as I can get him. My bf is the one who really likes the tangs. If they don’t work with the flow of the tank then we’ll cross it off for now. Idk if I’m digging the magnificent. I think I like the one spot bc it’s smaller and has more yellow. I do like the angels I’m just worried about nipping at inverts and softies if I go that route. In your experience has your foxface nipped at coral? I read they can do that too.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, mine never touched coral and I’ve had them with softies and LPS.
Also, many LFSs have them in coral trays as they’re often unlikely to nip at coral.

IME, the One Spot and Common Foxfaces are the larger species, Magnificents are the smallest species.

SocalReefer760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the potters leopard too. Unfortunately ever since the Hawaii ban they’ve been near impossible to obtain unless it was from a reefer who already had one pre ban. I think you can get away with a small fox face but you’d have to rehome or upgrade at a certain point. I had a tiny one in my 65 gallon and it stayed fairly small for a year and a half it’s in my big system now though.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swap for a blue star leopard, M. bipartitis
If I get them I like the males better. I don’t like the female coloration at all.
I'd stick to the claudia
Would the H. Claudia and H. Cosmetus be ok? I like those two I think the most out of the Halichoeres category so far.
I would consider another leopard instead, like a black leopard, Macropharyngodon negrosensis. Two Macropharyngodon and two Halichoeres for your sand sleepers.
The black leopard looks awesome too. I really like the gem tang so anything that’s similar coloration to them I think are cool looking. Kinda why I like the squaretail bristletooth. It has the spots and yellow but it’s brown body instead.

H. nebulosus is pretty too. I like •Paracheilinus mccoskeri, •Pseudocheilinus Ocellatus, •Scott’s fairy, •Cirrhilabrus isosceles, •cirrhilabrus laboutei, •c. rubrisquamis, and •c. aurantidorsalis after looking at fairy/flashers.

In terms of males/females is it one male for all wrasses or one male of each species like halichoeres/cirrhilabeus/etc?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back