0   0   0
What You Want Friends GIF by euphoria

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wholeheartedly agree with this post. I have a YT and a Hippo in a 55g, running 2 canisters and a small "sump" that is really nothing more than a filter sock and a skimmer.

Pretty much everything I do with my 55 defies what is accepted as "the way it has to be done"

I rarely (maybe every 6- 10 weeks or so) test my water. I have over 60 corals in this tank along with 14 fish. I have an old Rena Filstar 350 and a new Fluval FX6 as my main filtration. I have a 10g "sump" that holds a filter sock and a large skimmer.

My tank is healthy and thriving. I can keep almost anything in it, including SPS. The SPS frags I have gotten in the last 4 months, are growing faster than any of the LPS and softies I have kept in there in the past.

One of the things that annoys me with forums, and this is true of every forum I have ever been involved with, is the people with little or no firsthand experience, parroting what they have read. I understand the desire to be helpful. People want to try and help newbies who are overwhelmed by this hobby. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this, it is misleading and ultimately leads others to face issues that may be avoidable.

For example, a newbie posts a question, you parrot a reply based on something that you read on another post. Did you follow up with the development of that tank? What if the information you read, led to a tank crash several months later? By parroting that information, you are leading this new hobbyist down a path that may in turn, lead to a catastrophic end that could be avoided.

This forum is an incredible resource! The availability of information is astounding. When I began aquarium keeping, more moons ago than I care to recall, the only information sources were books, magazines, and (least usefully) LFS employees. That said, think of the information you find here as a vast pool of differing opinions. We all have a different approach to how we deal with the challenges of this hobby.
This is spot on. Thank you.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back