Yellow pyramid butterfly?

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a yellow pyramid butterfly to our 125. After trying 4 copperbands, and a marginalis and losing every one, I can't bring myself to try them anymore.

We have a yellow longnose that has done incredibly well for a year or more. Also had a Klein butterfly that I loved until it ate my wife's corals.

We have a pretty small powder blue tang that is doing excellent, so I was thinking of grabbing a pyramid before it got big enough to bully any new additions.

Thoughts on the yellow pyramid? They look absolutely gorgeous. Being a 125, I'm also gonna assume we should only add 1?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a yellow pyramid butterfly to our 125. After trying 4 copperbands, and a marginalis and losing every one, I can't bring myself to try them anymore.

We have a yellow longnose that has done incredibly well for a year or more. Also had a Klein butterfly that I loved until it ate my wife's corals.

We have a pretty small powder blue tang that is doing excellent, so I was thinking of grabbing a pyramid before it got big enough to bully any new additions.

Thoughts on the yellow pyramid? They look absolutely gorgeous. Being a 125, I'm also gonna assume we should only add 1?
These are really hardy, eat well and are mostly reef safe. The only drawback is that as they go through the supply chain they often pick up Neobenedenia flukes. The best quarantine for those is 30 days of hyposalinity.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other we're thinking about is a majestic angel.

Wife loves the angel, but doesn't want her corals all killed. But the colors are incredible, and I think our 125 would be able to house it.

She isn't really too fond of the pyramid, but knows it shouldn't bother coral. She thinks their brown/black face detracts from their beauty lol.

Decisions!

kamkam1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other we're thinking about is a majestic angel.

Wife loves the angel, but doesn't want her corals all killed. But the colors are incredible, and I think our 125 would be able to house it.

She isn't really too fond of the pyramid, but knows it shouldn't bother coral. She thinks their brown/black face detracts from their beauty lol.

Decisions!
yellow pyramid butterfly is easy to keep and reef safe, copperband is a expert level i think.

dont try majestic angel or any angel fish when you have LPS or Calm.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't get along with established Tangs
We only have a very small PBT. Anything we add will be bigger than it currently.

As for coral, we do have a flame angel also that's been a model citizen. The majestic would be gorgeous, but definitely something to consider

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only have a very small PBT. Anything we add will be bigger than it currently.

As for coral, we do have a flame angel also that's been a model citizen. The majestic would be gorgeous, but definitely something to consider
For your sake I really hope thats not a powder blue tang…!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

A top butterfly choice that is reef safe and a great model citizen. I had a trio years ago and sold them when I started to add Lg Angels to my system

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Powder blue should leave them alone. PBT is generally and issue when other tangs are present

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid's are reef safe with the exception of Xenia. Cleared my tank fast which for me was a good thing. Black Zosters are essentially the same fish with no yellow. I prefer the black myself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back