Yellow tang cause of death…

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m trying to figure out what caused my yellow tang to die. Short story had YT for 4/5 years we moved and had to break down the tank so they were kept at friends LFS set tank back up over Christmas and got it running and going added bio balls etc. Then got the fish in the tank and all was okay just had fish only with rock and sand YT was always the boss of the tank and feeding well and her crazy self.
Until last week she stopped eating and hiding when it was fed time. Then she had issue with swimming properly like rolling/turning on its side colouring did fade too.
My partner did say that the purple tang was bullying her like the roles all of a sudden got reserved.
So had to separate them. From there the YT didn’t eat and got worst. Check water my ammonia was 0.25-0.50 so did a water change and adding extra wave makers. Did another water change 2 days later.
After about 5 days not eating but hiding in feed time she was laying on the sand bed almost dead.
Towards the end she also had brown marks over her body so had to take her out and put her in a bucket before she die.
Any idea or insight as to what might be cause as all other fish are okay and nothing has been added in the tank.

IMG_2033.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I m trying to figure out what caused my yellow tang to die. Short story had YT for 4/5 years we moved and had to break down the tank so they were kept at friends LFS set tank back up over Christmas and got it running and going added bio balls etc. Then got the fish in the tank and all was okay just had fish only with rock and sand YT was always the boss of the tank and feeding well and her crazy self.
Until last week she stopped eating and hiding when it was fed time. Then she had issue with swimming properly like rolling/turning on its side colouring did fade too.
My partner did say that the purple tang was bullying her like the roles all of a sudden got reserved.
So had to separate them. From there the YT didn’t eat and got worst. Check water my ammonia was 0.25-0.50 so did a water change and adding extra wave makers. Did another water change 2 days later.
After about 5 days not eating but hiding in feed time she was laying on the sand bed almost dead.
Towards the end she also had brown marks over her body so had to take her out and put her in a bucket before she die.
Any idea or insight as to what might be cause as all other fish are okay and nothing has been added in the tank.

IMG_2033.jpeg
Brown marks are generally bacterial or vitamin deficiency or both.
In the pic the fish looks a little thin
Sorry to hear of loss.
Towards the end, any heavy breathing, hiding, etc?

OP
OP
Croftsy

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of loss.
Sorry to hear of loss.
Only notice the brown marks the day before she die. Was thinking could it be swim bladder don’t think I could be ich or velvet as they all been happy in the tank for a while now. I was away for a month so partner was feeding but said she was eating. Had mixture of flakes, algae pellets frozen food mix brine garlic, mysis, Krill and other Q I can’t think name. Plus had grazer rings and nori strips. Same stuff she was eating last 4/5 years.

Yes just swimming tilting on side near the top of the tank hiding during feed time and when any fish got near her especially the purple tang. Like I said she was the boss of the tank.
Yes heavy breathing and couldn’t keep upright towards the end

xunhe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is ammonia in the water, it can be very dangerous for fish. It should be ammonia poisoning caused by excessive ammonia

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back