Yellow tang ich

briley91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a yellow tang from a friend that’s had it for years and placed it in my tank after 45mins of acclamation. Two days later he’s covered with ich and is only staying on one side of the tank. It’s a reef tank and I know I can’t catch him. I just need to know which medications I should gamble with. I’ve tried Herbtana in the past and it worked about 75% of the time. I was recommended Polyp lab medic from lfs. I could use all opinions at this point

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I purchased a yellow tang from a friend that’s had it for years and placed it in my tank after 45mins of acclamation. Two days later he’s covered with ich and is only staying on one side of the tank. It’s a reef tank and I know I can’t catch him. I just need to know which medications I should gamble with. I’ve tried Herbtana in the past and it worked about 75% of the time. I was recommended Polyp lab medic from lfs. I could use all opinions at this point
What else is in the tank? (i.e. you said a reef tank - do you have corals, inverts, etc - I assume so).
I also assume you're wanting to treat in the tank?

So - as you probably know - the best treatment assuming its CI - is removal to another tank and treatment with copper. Likely the other fish may need treatment/QT as well (Did the new fish bring it in - or was it in your tank to start (which means your fish may have some immunity))

IDK about herbtana specifically - but I would not recommend it - per se since we don't know the ingredients

Something perhaps like Ruby Reef Rally Pro? (check their website for any livestock you have that might not be compatible). Many people like it - there are also some 'doesn't work' statements.

If you want to try Medic - I can't find the ingredients - If you absolutely cant get the fish out of the tank - I suppose its worth a shot. (I would not combine with other products)

The last concerns would be your other fish - Again - What other fish do you have? Any other look sick? Once one gets CI - watch for it on the others. Also - are you sure its CI as compared to another cause - can you post a picture.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have inverts, I would recommend hyposalinity. It's easy to do in a display. The only downside is killing snails, crabs, and any corals.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't have inverts, I would recommend hyposalinity. It's easy to do in a display. The only downside is killing snails, crabs, and any corals.
Thanks - I forgot to mention that. Thanks!!

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only thing that's going to help with ich management is a UV light. I've tried polyp lab, it doesn't work. Most of the time people think they have success with those things, when in reality it's just the natural life cycle of the ich that's is behind the dots disappearing.

Personally, I think there is more going on here than just ich. It could have ich, but ich takes a lot to kill a fish and do those things. It sounds to me like stress and often times ammonia is the real problem.

How old is the tank? What other fish do you have in there? How large is the tank?

You can QT him, but I'm betting money it dies in QT. Especially if you haven't done a QT before.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it is ich? Just you say it was healthy to covered in 3 days. I guess I don’t know what covered means exactly but velvet would be a losing battle.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing that's going to help with ich management is a UV light. I've tried polyp lab, it doesn't work. Most of the time people think they have success with those things, when in reality it's just the natural life cycle of the ich that's is behind the dots disappearing.

Personally, I think there is more going on here than just ich. It could have ich, but ich takes a lot to kill a fish and do those things. It sounds to me like stress and often times ammonia is the real problem.

How old is the tank? What other fish do you have in there? How large is the tank?

You can QT him, but I'm betting money it dies in QT. Especially if you haven't done a QT before.
I disagree with this. But maybe you can put up some more information? From my reading/experience - lots of people doing ich management do not have a UV. Many that do to not maintain them properly:)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We need @briley91 to get some pics please ... :)

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with this. But maybe you can put up some more information? From my reading/experience - lots of people doing ich management do not have a UV. Many that do to not maintain them properly:)
Sorry, I am not sure what you are talking about and/or disagreeing with. I did not say anything about a UV being a requirement, I said it's the only thing you can add that is going to help.

I guess you can see keeping them healthy is part of it, but isn't that kind of the goal from the start anyway?

If you know of other methods that will help, I'd love to know about them.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it is ich? Just you say it was healthy to covered in 3 days. I guess I don’t know what covered means exactly but velvet would be a losing battle.

My sailfin survived velvet. Nothing else was so lucky, especially since the only way I could catch any of them was when they were really sick.

I don't think that's what is going on here though. Hard to say without more information from the OP. I suspect ammonia, but don't know how old the tank is, what else is in there, etc. But they said they bought it from a friend, so I am assuming it was healthy before going in their tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, I am not sure what you are talking about and/or disagreeing with. I did not say anything about a UV being a requirement, I said it's the only thing you can add that is going to help.

I guess you can see keeping them healthy is part of it, but isn't that kind of the goal from the start anyway?

If you know of other methods that will help, I'd love to know about them.
Sorry maybe I misunderstood." I was reading this: The only thing that's going to help with ich management is a UV light."

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back