Yellow watchman Gobi with pistol shrimp compatible with flame hawk

mikesilverado8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they compatible I think I might have made a big mistake I've had a yellow watchman go be with a pistol shrimp for about two months now they are doing good today I just bought a flame Hawk because it was on sale was that a mistake

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME IMO you'll have no issue I've kept flame Hawks pistol shrimp and watchman gobies for about ten years without issue. I've had the same watchman goby and pistol shrimp that entire time and three different flame Hawks. One jumped out, lost the other during parasite mistake. Two were quite large.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikesilverado8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok today I turned on the lights Watchmen and pistol shrimp are OK but it seems like the flame hawk is really interested in them he staying on their side of the tank and going near their den a lot :-0

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok today I turned on the lights Watchmen and pistol shrimp are OK but it seems like the flame hawk is really interested in them he staying on their side of the tank and going near their den a lot :-0

IMO flame Hawks are not the hunters that other hawkfish like arceye are. I am sure they do hunt but I've never actually seen them hunt, catch, or kill anything. Same with longnose hawkfish. They mostly just wait for you to feed them and probably eat pods and such. You may be reading more in to his behavior than is really there. He just likes that area. Is it near where you generally drop food in?

OP
OP
M

mikesilverado8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The watchman is definitely scared of the flame every time the flame comes around the watchmen darts back into his home :-(

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The watchman is definitely scared of the flame every time the flame comes around the watchmen darts back into his home :-(
They're basically scared of their own shadow

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish you add he will avoid like the plague.

Since adding lots of fish mine hid for two years I literally thought it was dead until I removed the fish because of a parasite scare. Needed to hospitalize them all and run that tank fallow

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back