Zebra Eel issues, worried

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have two zebra eels, one is doing great and the other not so much. I dont know how old, as they came from a tank breakdown, but the one that is not doing well is visibly older then the other.

I havent been able to get her to eat in two weeks, and she is always out of their cave system, not moving much, sometimes folded in on herself. No visible issues that I can see.

What can I do to help diagnose what is happening?

20230116_110914.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey all,

I have two zebra eels, one is doing great and the other not so much. I dont know how old, as they came from a tank breakdown, but the one that is not doing well is visibly older then the other.

I havent been able to get her to eat in two weeks, and she is always out of their cave system, not moving much, sometimes folded in on herself. No visible issues that I can see.

What can I do to help diagnose what is happening?

20230116_110914.jpg
Assure water quality is good especially nitrates. Eeels and sharks are messy housekeepers and can make changes to water in a hurry - a must to focus on filters, however it has not eaten which lessens the chances. Eels are slow digesters and may be filled yet but merely a guess. It also be adjustment to new setting/tank.
In this case quarantining may have helped but again speculation, but you can try a few ghost shrimp which are enticing to most eels.
I would not fret yet if its been 2 weeks.

@lion king

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure water quality is good especially nitrates. Eeels and sharks are messy housekeepers and can make changes to water in a hurry - a must to focus on filters, however it has not eaten which lessens the chances. Eels are slow digesters and may be filled yet but merely a guess. It also be adjustment to new setting/tank.
In this case quarantining may have helped but again speculation, but you can try a few ghost shrimp which are enticing to most eels.
I would not fret yet if its been 2 weeks.

@lion king
Thank you. They have been with me for around 8 months, so I dont think new settings is an issue. Water quality is good, tested everything this morning. Nitrates at around 6, no ammonia or nitrites. Tank is pretty old. Ill see if I can find some ghost shrimp nearby.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A move can always stress an eel into a hunger strike, and a live food offering can trigger a feeding response and get them back in the groove. Ghost shrimp ar ok while fiddler crabs are one of the zebras favorites, just get a small one.

Do you know much of their history, like diet. Coming from a tank breakdown was there issues beforehand. While not ready to fret yet, eels do refuse food because of internal parasites, and due to ongoing nutritional deficiencies.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunger strikes with zebra morays are so common after a move, I almost expect that to happen. I've had them go 4+ months without food and once I get them started, they are fine, unless they were skinny to begin with.

Jay

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A move can always stress an eel into a hunger strike, and a live food offering can trigger a feeding response and get them back in the groove. Ghost shrimp ar ok while fiddler crabs are one of the zebras favorites, just get a small one.

Do you know much of their history, like diet. Coming from a tank breakdown was there issues beforehand. While not ready to fret yet, eels do refuse food because of internal parasites, and due to ongoing nutritional deficiencies.
Things have gotten worse. Tried live ghost shrimp as well as fiddlers, no luck. Today is his on his side, not looking good. Anything I can/should do?
20230117_142610.jpg

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hunger strikes with zebra morays are so common after a move, I almost expect that to happen. I've had them go 4+ months without food and once I get them started, they are fine, unless they were skinny to begin with.

Jay
If you see my above post, things have gotten worse and im not sure what to do.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see my above post, things have gotten worse and im not sure what to do.

So - here is my thought process; you have two eels and one is doing fine, so that rules out water quality issues and most external diseases. I was thinking a simply hunger strike until I saw this new photo - what is that swelling around the mid-abdomen above the anal opening? Is it just the way the eel is curved? If not that's not normal.

Jay

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - here is my thought process; you have two eels and one is doing fine, so that rules out water quality issues and most external diseases. I was thinking a simply hunger strike until I saw this new photo - what is that swelling around the mid-abdomen above the anal opening? Is it just the way the eel is curved? If not that's not normal.

Jay
No swelling, just the way the eel was curved at that moment. And yes, the other eel is doing great. Eats all I give him, very active.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No swelling, just the way the eel was curved at that moment. And yes, the other eel is doing great. Eats all I give him, very active.
Although not without its risks, tube feeding is an option., I've jump-started dragon morays doing that. Here is an article I wrote up about that:

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back