Zebra Lion Eye Outer Layer Deteriorating

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m hoping some of you can give me some good advice here!
I have a 90 gallon and I recently added a zebra lion. At the store his left eye was a little cloudy and they told me they’ve had him for a couple months no problems. I should have quarantined him but I didn’t. Two weeks after adding him to the display my whole tank came down with velvet and it was really bad. I also had ich as well. I removed all my inverts and dosed the tank with coppersafe and have been monitoring with the Hanna copper checker daily sometimes even twice a day. I’m well aware of the dangers of treating in the display. The whole time I had the lion these past few weeks he’s been eating frozen krill and shrimp heavily soaked in vitamins and for a moment his eye started getting better but then it started getting cloudy again and now it looks like he is missing the outer layer of his left eye (cornea?) and it is completely cloudy. He also has stopped eating a couple days ago and it seems like he wants to eat because he’ll swim upwards to the food but doesn’t open his mouth or anything. My other fish in the tank get very excited over food so I’m not sure if he’s shying away because of the chaos or if it’s the copper (I know lions can be sensitive to copper) or if it’s eye bugging him or a mixture of everything. The velvet seems to have cleared up and they’ve been in the copper for about 2 weeks now. Im wondering if you guys think I should remove the lion from the copper and put him in a 20 gallon hospital tank and treat it like a bacterial infection while I finish treatment in the display? He’s about 4 inches and I don’t want to stress him out more by moving him around. Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate:30-50 ppm. All my other fish are doing great and look great so I’m wondering if the eye is a bacterial infection from the store that just worsened with the velvet outbreak/copper. I will try to attach some pictures so you can see. Thanks!

IMG_7543.png IMG_7542.png IMG_7541.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys, I’m hoping some of you can give me some good advice here!
I have a 90 gallon and I recently added a zebra lion. At the store his left eye was a little cloudy and they told me they’ve had him for a couple months no problems. I should have quarantined him but I didn’t. Two weeks after adding him to the display my whole tank came down with velvet and it was really bad. I also had ich as well. I removed all my inverts and dosed the tank with coppersafe and have been monitoring with the Hanna copper checker daily sometimes even twice a day. I’m well aware of the dangers of treating in the display. The whole time I had the lion these past few weeks he’s been eating frozen krill and shrimp heavily soaked in vitamins and for a moment his eye started getting better but then it started getting cloudy again and now it looks like he is missing the outer layer of his left eye (cornea?) and it is completely cloudy. He also has stopped eating a couple days ago and it seems like he wants to eat because he’ll swim upwards to the food but doesn’t open his mouth or anything. My other fish in the tank get very excited over food so I’m not sure if he’s shying away because of the chaos or if it’s the copper (I know lions can be sensitive to copper) or if it’s eye bugging him or a mixture of everything. The velvet seems to have cleared up and they’ve been in the copper for about 2 weeks now. Im wondering if you guys think I should remove the lion from the copper and put him in a 20 gallon hospital tank and treat it like a bacterial infection while I finish treatment in the display? He’s about 4 inches and I don’t want to stress him out more by moving him around. Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate:30-50 ppm. All my other fish are doing great and look great so I’m wondering if the eye is a bacterial infection from the store that just worsened with the velvet outbreak/copper. I will try to attach some pictures so you can see. Thanks!

IMG_7543.png IMG_7542.png IMG_7541.png
Unfortunately this appears to be retina damage and a result as you may have guessed from non-treatment which would have been ethromyacin. The lion can function with the one eye damaged as ive had and have seen fish thrive with one eye damaged and still live a normal ability to eat and thrive.
You can still try treatment but it will likely do no good.
Lions dont fare well at times with copper and should be treated in a separate setting/QT with general cure opposed to copper with added aeration and ammonia levels monitored with a reliable ammonia test kit

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this appears to be retina damage and a result as you may have guessed from non-treatment which would have been ethromyacin. The lion can function with the one eye damaged as ive had and have seen fish thrive with one eye damaged and still live a normal ability to eat and thrive.
You can still try treatment but it will likely do no good.
Lions dont fare well at times with copper and should be treated in a separate setting/QT with general cure opposed to copper with added aeration and ammonia levels monitored with a reliable ammonia test kit

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you for your fast response I’ll move him into a separate tank tonight after work so he is no longer in copper. He’s 4 inches do you think he’ll be okay in a 20 gallon for a couple months until I get the display disease free?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay thank you for your fast response I’ll move him into a separate tank tonight after work so he is no longer in copper. He’s 4 inches do you think he’ll be okay in a 20 gallon for a couple months until I get the display disease free?
At 4" for treatment/temporary housing- Yes
As for feeding, try introducing food to him with feeding tongs

1684330701581.png

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

The velvet seems to have cleared up and they’ve been in the copper for about 2 weeks now. Im wondering if you guys think I should remove the lion from the copper and put him in a 20 gallon hospital tank and treat it like a bacterial infection while I finish treatment in the display?
I like that idea. If you are treating with Copper Safe, after 2 full weeks at therapeutic copper level (2.0+ ppm), you can move the lion to a new 'sterile' (for sure, no ich/velvet) tank for the remainder of the display's fallow period.

You could then use antibiotics if you think they are needed. You could also feed more tempting live foods, if you can't get it to keep eating: ghost shrimp, guppies, etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the eye's globe is deflated, and it isn't just a surface issue. Copper doesn't do that, more likely it was a physical injury. +1 on moving it to a sterile tank (manage the ammonia though!) and trying to tong feed it (wait until the day after you move it though).

Here is a general primer I wrote on fish eye health:

Jay

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you for your fast response I’ll move him into a separate tank tonight after work so he is no longer in copper. He’s 4 inches do you think he’ll be okay in a 20 gallon is for a couple months?
Welcome to R2R!

I like that idea. If you are treating with Copper Safe, after 2 full weeks at therapeutic copper level (2.0+ ppm), you can move the lion to a new 'sterile' (for sure, no ich/velvet) tank for the remainder of the display's fallow period.

You could then use antibiotics if you think they are needed. You could also feed more tempting live foods, if you can't get it to keep eating: ghost shrimp, guppies, etc.
I thought for coppersafe the therapeutic level was 1.5-2.0. Is this no longer the case? My copper level has been hovering around 1.75 the last two weeks. There’s no more sign of velvet on anybody but my hippo tang has a spot or two of ich still that appeared a couple days ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you for your fast response I’ll move him into a separate tank tonight after work so he is no longer in copper. He’s 4 inches do you think he’ll be okay in a 20 gallon is for a couple months?

I thought for coppersafe the therapeutic level was 1.5-2.0. Is this no longer the case? My copper level has been hovering around 1.75 the last two weeks. There’s no more sign of velvet on anybody but my hippo tang has a spot or two of ich still that appeared a couple days ago.

Coppersafe tests out at 2.5 ppm if you dose according to the label instructions (5 ml per 4 gallons). Therapeutic range for this product is 2 to 2.5 ppm

Jay

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king probably has some good feeding tips for you.

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe tests out at 2.5 ppm if you dose according to the label instructions (5 ml per 4 gallons). Therapeutic range for this product is 2 to 2.5 ppm

Jay
Thank you, good to know. I thought the max was 2.0. I will raise the copper level to this range after I take the lion out.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go lower than 1.75. If it dropped below that, I would start the clock over. That said, I haven't personally used copper on a lion.

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go lower than 1.75. If it dropped below that, I would start the clock over. That said, I haven't personally used copper on a lion.
Thank you for the advice. I will remove the lion and treat in the 20 gallon separately and raise the copper level in the display to 2.0-2.5 and restart the clock.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back