zoas/palys that are likely to melt

rsdazo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scary.. I'm gonna frag some of my zoas that have been mentioned and that have 5+ polyps just in case.

reefhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a purple death stay closed for about a month from a vendor. then one day it just opened up like nothing ever happened.

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth mauls and VDM's I have a decent patch of nightmares that I set my darth mauls next to. Grew 2 new polyps and melted in 2 days. Rastas and hornets seem to do well in my tank.

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darth Mauls melted on me, too bad, they are my favorite, so I just ad to try them even though I had heard about the melting, wish I had listened and saved the $$$$

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys mention experimenting with light and flow, but is there any discernible rhyme or reason? Tight preferred alk range? Mag range? Any commonality?

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forge the Serene Nova's, our frags melted away. I think these sensitive zoas/palys get affected by the toxins in the tank. So even if you don't touch them or frag them, they may be sensitive to the toxins released from fragging other corals in the tank. That may be the reason they melt.

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DarthMauls :cry:
SpaceMonsters :cry:
Tangelos :cry:
ViperPalys :cry:
Sopranos :cry_002::cry_002:
AtomicSpaceMonsters :cry:

Makes me soooo :too_sad::too_sad::too_sad::too_sad:

And PPE, RPE :cry:

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forge the Serene Nova's, our frags melted away. I think these sensitive zoas/palys get affected by the toxins in the tank. So even if you don't touch them or frag them, they may be sensitive to the toxins released from fragging other corals in the tank. That may be the reason they melt.

I'm still shedding tears over that one. Losing my novas was worse than when I first saw an armaggedon melt before my very eyes.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this very informal post. I am sure I will find this helpful in a few days at the frag swap. I was planning on buying some rastas, but now I may not depending on the price. No one wants to buy a coral that will probably melt.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree on the tendency of rastas to melt. I've put mine through hell and they've always pulled through. In fact, a local reefer even had a frag partially ingested by a carpet nem that grew out to a nice mini-colony.

Acronymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heard rastas melt very easily but reproduce quickly from a guy that keeps polyps and lps only.
from my experience, purple deaths and nuclear greens melted away. The ppe's took long to recover but made it, blue hornets, candy apple reds and oranges, bam bams, red magicians, and rpe's did well. Not sure of the names for the rest.
I was thinking of acquiring the blond blue eyes. Any experience with those?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuc greens melters?! Really?? I have a colony growing in a skimmerless nano in my daughters room. I guess a thread like this is sort of impossible because of the subjective differences between reef tanks.

In my experience, blondies seem to hold up better than the similarly colored fruit loops.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heard rastas melt very easily but reproduce quickly from a guy that keeps polyps and lps only.
from my experience, purple deaths and nuclear greens melted away. The ppe's took long to recover but made it, blue hornets, candy apple reds and oranges, bam bams, red magicians, and rpe's did well. Not sure of the names for the rest.
I was thinking of acquiring the blond blue eyes. Any experience with those?

Sounds like you might have had some issues with your water, flow, and/or light. Nuc's and Purple Deaths tend to be strong palys.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His palys melted yet he could keep candy apple orange and blue hornets alive?!

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last summer I had gotten a small colony of what is now being called "Viper" palys, went on a weekend trip and when I got back the rock was bare! Here's the last pic I was able to get:

redpolyps.jpg

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If purple deaths and nuc greens are melting on you, you have issues with your water not with the coral. Might want to look in to your params and placement.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well on an interesting side note, I have Purple Death coming out my ears, but can't seem to keep Nuc Green for anything. Like many people, I have them located in the same spots as well as different spots around my tank. Purple Death grows like crazy, Nuc Greens just seem to melt away. Others Zs-n-Ps thrive.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back