zoas turning brown flattening and melting away

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go ahead with the chemi-clean dip but as an alternative you can try a dip with Metroplex and lugols - 1 scoop to 2-3 drops in 6oz of water. On for 4 days off for 1-2. Like doing a round of antibiotics its best to do 2 series (9-10 days total) to finish out the regiment even if you see improvement.

The brown stuff that looks like ramen are internal fillaments (I forget if these are considered mesenterial in zoas or something else). Anyways when there are out is generally a pretty good sign something is up.

Stuff does just sometimes melt but early intervention will generally give you a good chance to save it. The biggest thing is that its not just 'one dip and done.'
Thanks. Yeah the shrunken heads had a small protrusion which I'm guessing isn't good. I even saw one polyp discharge brown slime. Was really hoping for a 1-2 time treatment haha. I'm not really worried about this one frag as its lost most of it's polyps and I have a few others of it anyway. However I don't want this to keep happening to other zoa's, especially ones I don't have multiple colonies of, so if I can save this one then I know what to do in the future on others.

I think I have a box of metroplex. You're not recommended to dose them together, right? The lugo's I read 4 drops per cup for 15m, which I did that yesterday. chemiclean this morning. So the metroplex first with 1 scoop in 1 cup? For how long? then lugols after for 15m?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. Yeah the shrunken heads had a small protrusion which I'm guessing isn't good. I even saw one polyp discharge brown slime. Was really hoping for a 1-2 time treatment haha. I'm not really worried about this one frag as its lost most of it's polyps and I have a few others of it anyway. However I don't want this to keep happening to other zoa's, especially ones I don't have multiple colonies of, so if I can save this one then I know what to do in the future on others.

I think I have a box of metroplex. You're not recommended to dose them together, right? The lugo's I read 4 drops per cup for 15m, which I did that yesterday. chemiclean this morning. So the metroplex first with 1 scoop in 1 cup? For how long? then lugols after for 15m?

Unfortunately there’s no good 1 and done method for treatment though the sooner you begin treatment the lighter the treatment regiment. Aggressive QT of new frags is really the best/only way to keep stuff out. I’m experimenting with UV sterilizers so I’ll report back on that in 6-8 months.

To save time I do the metroplex and lugols together at the same time. My dipping containers are about 8oz so I do one scoop with the lugols for 10-12 mins. I also throw in an air stone to move the dip around, it’s not necessary but it’s keeps the dip moving around the polyps.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 115 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back