Zoas vs Palys?

Pazman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to the reefing hobby (Nov 2017) but definitely addicted to reading everything I can and just absorbing it all. My question is what is the difference between zoanthids and palythoa? They look very similar and just wanted to know if there where some obvious distinctions.
Thank you R2R for all of the great advice that has helped me be successful in my first 2 reef tanks.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to the reefing hobby (Nov 2017) but definitely addicted to reading everything I can and just absorbing it all. My question is what is the difference between zoanthids and palythoa? They look very similar and just wanted to know if there where some obvious distinctions.
Thank you R2R for all of the great advice that has helped me be successful in my first 2 reef tanks.
They are all zoanthids but people classify the bigger polyp zoas with a longer stem palys and the smaller ones that cluster together as zoas. Actual scientists only call palythoa the ones that cover their stems with sand and slime a lot.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back