ZOINKS!! YELP!!

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, little back story. Bought these 2 cardinals 3 weeks ago. Put them in quarentine I had running for a few months with bacteria...everything has been fine. I checked my ammonia levels religiously for like 2 weeks. All read zero (Red Sea). Both have been eating --- thought I lucked out (BONUS).

Then 2 days ago noticed one of them wasn't eating as much (should of checked ammonia then), had been working shift work (shift 3 out of 4) so quickly checked on them and again, same fish not eating...had to leave for work so left knowing I'd either get home to a nightmare or be in the clear to focus on my days off.

Got home this morning and noticed "the white stringy" pooh from the sicky one, thought "uh oh that can't be good" did an ammonia check and 1.2!!!

QUICKLY performed a 40% water change, dosed prime, and added more bacteria...added some Matrix Bio Balls to the mix.

Lesson: continue to religiously check ammonia even if all seems well.

Question: did I do the right interventions for this fella right now in terms of trying to correct?

What about "the white stringy pooh?"
He was breathing a little fast last 2ish days, and the no appetite and wanting to just chill in that one corner.

Salinity 1.023
Nitrate 2 (salifert) <---- sign of cycling in process?

Have only treated humans with meds thus far not fish. Live in Canada, so options limited. However, was able to get hands on Seachem Metro, cupramine, and Prazipro.

My initial quarentine plan was to not treat and monitor, then treat IF NEEDED.

FIRST time quarentining. Display been up and running 9 months.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

First video is pre- water change.
Second is after water change.

Attachments

• 20201103_102203.mp4
    45.6 MB
  • 20201103_113006.mp4
    50.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I can’t view the videos, a YouTube link works better.
You’ll need to continue managing the ammonia, a 40% water change will only drop it to .70, and then, it will build right back up. I like to target less than .25 whenever possible.
I’m not a fan of watching fish in QT and not treating; if/when a disease breaks, you are then stuck in catch up mode. I typically start with copper right away and then go with prazi once that’s done. It’s the lack of feeding and the rapid breathing that has me concerned here, they may not just be symptoms of the ammonia issue.
Jay

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I can’t view the videos, a YouTube link works better.
You’ll need to continue managing the ammonia, a 40% water change will only drop it to .70, and then, it will build right back up. I like to target less than .25 whenever possible.
I’m not a fan of watching fish in QT and not treating; if/when a disease breaks, you are then stuck in catch up mode. I typically start with copper right away and then go with prazi once that’s done. It’s the lack of feeding and the rapid breathing that has me concerned here, they may not just be symptoms of the ammonia issue.
Jay

Ok...I'll do another 40% tomorrow? Just want to get this back under control before I start messing with meds.

Im not one to rush this hobby. Im good keeping them quarentined for however long they need.

Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are links:

The breathing rate is a bit elevated, but not horrible. Turning up the air as suggested is a great idea. I think you just need to manage the ammonia for now, keep it below .5 mg/l for sure.
Do you know, we’re these wild caught or captive raised?
Jay

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store told me Captive. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't as well.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update if anyone if following. Got ammonia down to 0.2, lil dude is not eating tho. Not even budging for mysis.

Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update if anyone if following. Got ammonia down to 0.2, lil dude is not eating tho. Not even budging for mysis.

Thoughts?

Is the breathing rate still elevated? If so, and if it were my fish, I would begin copper right away...

Jay

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its a good thing I did NOT dose copper yet. As I wrote i had an ammonia issue and dosed a little prime with both my water changes (second one i did today). Although my ammonia is now 0.2 before I dose cupramine...how do I remove the prime? How big of a water change should I do? And how many before knowing there is no prime floating around. Oh I also dosed seachem stability to try to balance stuff during this ammonia spike.

Thanks

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back