Zombie Firefish

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple firefish has been acting very strange the last couple days. It almost looks like he's drunk or dazed like a boxer looks after he gets his clock cleaned. There are no spots, he is not breathing heavy, his skin still looks smooth and healthy, his color is still bright. He seems to be disoriented. He comes out at feeding time, but it seems like he either can't see the food or is confused.
My tank is a 10 gallon display with an 8 gallon sump that has been running for almost exactly a year. The only other fish in the tank is an ocellaris clown. As much as clowns have a rep for being jerks, mine really doesn't bully the firefish. They get along fairly well and have been housed together for probably 8 months. My parameters are as follows:
Salinity - 35 ppt
alk - 9 dkh
calcium - 440
ammonia & nitrite - 0
nitrate - 3 ppm
phosphate - 0.04 ppm
temp - 78.5-79
pH - 8.1 - 8.2

I started the tank using Red Sea black bucket and ran it according to their recommendations for a mixed reef for the first 10 months with alk at ~11ish. i recently made the switch to blue bucket because I want to get some sps. The change over has been done very gradually by mixing the two salts in proportions starting with mostly black bucket and transitioning to mostly blue bucket. The alk has not changed more than 0.5 dkh/week. I have finally gotten to all blue bucket and everything in the tank except the firefish seems to be very happy.
Significant changes recently have been I added another Current USA Orbit IC strip and another power head to increase the flow.
I have read through all of the stickies on the disease thread and nothing seems to fit. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there places where it can rest away from the current? They don't seem to like and can get tired by fast currents pushing them around.

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there places where it can rest away from the current? They don't seem to like and can get tired by fast currents pushing them around.

He has a cave that he sleeps in that is completely out of the current. I turned the power heads way down after I noticed him acting this way.

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he might be blind now.

You may be right, but what's bothering me is why?
What caused it? I don't see any signs of parasites and I haven't introduced any livestock to this tank in 5 months or so.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be right, but what's bothering me is why?
What caused it? I don't see any signs of parasites and I haven't introduced any livestock to this tank in 5 months or so.

Firefish will often dart (head first) quickly into the rocks, usually a small hole. Sometimes they miss. ;) Could be a brain injury.

OP
OP
McArcher

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish will often dart (head first) quickly into the rocks, usually a small hole. Sometimes they miss. ;) Could be a brain injury.

I never thought of that. He does that quite often. His cave has three entrances and one of them is not much bigger than he is. It has always amazed me how fast he can disappear into that hole. I guess he's doomed if that is what happened. He hasn't eaten since I noticed this behavior, though he seems to be trying. It's going to kill me to watch him waste away.

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider euthanizing him if he absolutely cannot eat. I just wouldn’t be comfortable letting an animal starve to death right before my eyes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back