First Time Reefer Journey with a 62gal AOI

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Definitely send me a message if you’re looking for anything else! I have torches, acros, acans, Goni, zoas, mushrooms, hammers, plate corals & more.

OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely send me a message if you’re looking for anything else! I have torches, acros, acans, Goni, zoas, mushrooms, hammers, plate corals & more.
I am always looking for some great corals. I am a sucker for them. How is a good way to see what you have?

jimmers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked about posting my stocking list that I put together so I could formulate a plan. My LFS laughed when I showed him but also loved it! I plan on adding the first fish on each row. The rest are alternative considerations. It can be hard to get some of the fish. I do plan on adding the Royal Gramma this week. It will be about 10 days since I added the last fish. Oh I did add some extra media in my filtration area to help build bacteria.

Stocking List.jpg
Wonderful aquascape! 2 fish I would be careful with. Green mandarin, I would only get after you know you have your setup to perfection and you are producing more copepods than it needs. Otherwise, may be a slow death. The white fish 2 above the GM. Forget the name. Loved that fish and bought many. Also had a rimless and they were notorious for jumping out. Believe I read they are puddle jumpers so this was normal. I had a 42 gallon so maybe you will have better luck.

OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful aquascape! 2 fish I would be careful with. Green mandarin, I would only get after you know you have your setup to perfection and you are producing more copepods than it needs. Otherwise, may be a slow death. The white fish 2 above the GM. Forget the name. Loved that fish and bought many. Also had a rimless and they were notorious for jumping out. Believe I read they are puddle jumpers so this was normal. I had a 42 gallon so maybe you will have better luck.
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I am going to wait on the Green Mandarin. It is kind of my dream fish and I want to make sure I have a good pod population. I have seeded them a couple times but I want to have lots before I even think about add it. I may end up doing the spotted mandarin because I hear they accept food better and so just a back up.

Is it the Randall's Prawn Goby that you have had jump out of your tank? I have not added that one yet I have been trying to get it thru my LFS. There is a chance he might have got it in this week so if so I will be getting it this coming week. I am excited to pair it with a pistol shrimp as well. I have been loving my tail spot blennie. Such great personality.

OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcomed a new fish to the reef this week so I thought it would be a great time to post.
Randalls Prawn Goby.jpg

I added a Randall's Prawn Goby this week. This has been a fish I have wanted to add but it has taken the LFS awhile to get him in. I hope to be adding a pistol shrimp for his companion as soon as possible. Now that I have the goby we can get the shrimp in. This goby is so pretty and I am excited to get to know him.

I also made an adjustment to my aquascape. What do you think? I have added a tall rock in the middle of my two larger structures. I decided I wanted to add this so in the future I can put some torches on the rock and this will become my torch garden. Planning ahead on this one. I have put some other corals there for now. I have added several different corals from my last post as well. I am excited to see how things grow out. It is fun the growth I have already seen. The journey of corals is really fun. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for me. Enjoy the photos of my tank as of today.
5.9.2024 Tank F.jpg

5.9.2024 Tank L.jpg
5.9.2024 Tank .jpg

skey44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Love the new torch tower. My 47 tideline should be in next weekend. Seeing your progress has been fun. Goby looks happy.

OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Love the new torch tower. My 47 tideline should be in next weekend. Seeing your progress has been fun. Goby looks happy.
I am excited to see you getting your 47 going. I think you are going to love it. I really enjoy these tanks. They are not too deep so easier to work with and then you have the swimming room for fish. My Yellow Tang loves to dart around it it and it is so fun to watch and there are definite zones too. The LFS has the 47 as one of their displays and it is great! Remind me is this your first reef tank?

I am excited about my torch tower other than now I am anxious to get a torch and I know I should hold off.

skey44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my first reef. First since 2019 though. I had a 40 breeder then and was happy with the size and didn’t miss a sump. These tanks have similar foot print and hope they address some of the minor issues I had with the 40 like messy looking display with HOB and skimmer/heater in tank. I also always longed for low iron glass and have always been a sucker for rimless. I do plan to use a lot of the equipment from that setup including stand, lights, rock, and skimmer. This all led me to the 47. 4ft tank you have though definitely provides great room for the swimmers.

I never knew torch corals were that difficult of a euphyllia species. I have noticed their prices have gone way up since back then.

How is the tower keeping its balance?

OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my first reef. First since 2019 though. I had a 40 breeder then and was happy with the size and didn’t miss a sump. These tanks have similar foot print and hope they address some of the minor issues I had with the 40 like messy looking display with HOB and skimmer/heater in tank. I also always longed for low iron glass and have always been a sucker for rimless. I do plan to use a lot of the equipment from that setup including stand, lights, rock, and skimmer. This all led me to the 47. 4ft tank you have though definitely provides great room for the swimmers.

I never knew torch corals were that difficult of a euphyllia species. I have noticed their prices have gone way up since back then.

How is the tower keeping its balance?
I glued some small rocks on the bottom to give it support. it is really pretty stable and gives me some more places to attach corals. I will get some better pictures and post them when I get a chance.

tlook31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank! I’m just starting myself and getting ready to introduce some corals. I have a 60g AIO 48” as well and I’m glad to see your tang is happy in there, I definitely want to get one. Any advice on corals I’d appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_7476.jpeg
    IMG_7476.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued some small rocks on the bottom to give it support. it is really pretty stable and gives me some more places to attach corals. I will get some better pictures and post them when I get a chance.
IMG_2110.jpg
IMG_2111.jpg

Here are a couple of images that show the base. the white rock on the right is glued and supports the tower very well. It added tons of stability. It is amazing how sometimes rock just fit perfect and these both did. I have put some other corals on the tower until I get a torch.

OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank! I’m just starting myself and getting ready to introduce some corals. I have a 60g AIO 48” as well and I’m glad to see your tang is happy in there, I definitely want to get one. Any advice on corals I’d appreciate it.
You tank is looking good. I hope you are loving your 48" 60gal. I am so glad I have this long tank instead of the 60 gallon tanks that are more cube like. They are jus too deep. My tang will sit and dart around the tank. He is very fun to watch. He may out grow the tank but hopefully by then I will have a set up he can move into. Do you have any fish in your tank? I see the rock flower anemone I think but did not spot any fish.

Corals are so fun. I have been loving them too much. I think my first suggestion is to start shopping now and looking all over at them so you can see different things and know what you actually really want. I have fallen victim to on I like that and then shopping more and finding things I actually like more and so try to feel the tank with things you love and not just like. That being said start with a few pieces maybe that don't cost as much to get the feel. My biggest fear is I am doing too much too fast. Zoanthids are the perfect example of buying something you like and then starting to see others that you like so much more and you only have so much space in a tank at the end of the day. Another thing that I have really like is I know a couple of online retailers do these live stream sales. I often join zoathinds.com because they do a live stream every Tuesday and Saturday night. I have learned so much about coral and seen so many different ones. They show you the corals on camera and talk about them and you can even ask questions. It is great because online you only see pictures and then my LFS is limited with what options they have. I love the LFS but corals there are just so many options out there. So I guess it does kind of depend on what you want in the end. I hope that has not confused you even more.

tlook31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tank is looking good. I hope you are loving your 48" 60gal. I am so glad I have this long tank instead of the 60 gallon tanks that are more cube like. They are jus too deep. My tang will sit and dart around the tank. He is very fun to watch. He may out grow the tank but hopefully by then I will have a set up he can move into. Do you have any fish in your tank? I see the rock flower anemone I think but did not spot any fish.

Corals are so fun. I have been loving them too much. I think my first suggestion is to start shopping now and looking all over at them so you can see different things and know what you actually really want. I have fallen victim to on I like that and then shopping more and finding things I actually like more and so try to feel the tank with things you love and not just like. That being said start with a few pieces maybe that don't cost as much to get the feel. My biggest fear is I am doing too much too fast. Zoanthids are the perfect example of buying something you like and then starting to see others that you like so much more and you only have so much space in a tank at the end of the day. Another thing that I have really like is I know a couple of online retailers do these live stream sales. I often join zoathinds.com because they do a live stream every Tuesday and Saturday night. I have learned so much about coral and seen so many different ones. They show you the corals on camera and talk about them and you can even ask questions. It is great because online you only see pictures and then my LFS is limited with what options they have. I love the LFS but corals there are just so many options out there. So I guess it does kind of depend on what you want in the end. I hope that has not confused you even more.
Thanks!! Yes I have a clown and a 6 lined wrasse. Just now starting my coral research. I too have fallen into the obsession lol. Just in the small amount of time I have had my tank, I’ve been so intrigued with how I can make my tank most effective and beautiful.
Seeing your progress has really helped me with my process.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back