First Time Reefer Journey with a 62gal AOI

usuvball11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new here on R2R and brand new to the Reefing world and I might say I am already getting addicted. This is bad! I am not normally a person to post like this but I decided I would because I am new and would love any comments and suggestions from those that have been in the hobby longer than me. I like to learn from others mistakes so I thought I should put myself out there. I also thought it could be fun to create a journey of my first tank. So here we go.

I have always loved aquarium and the water/ocean. When I was young I had a fresh water tank but have always dreamed of having a saltwater tank. Honestly mostly for for fish. Had not paid lots of attention to corals. Over the years I have researched tanks and had kind of decided that I would like to do and AOI tank but the timing was just never right for me to be able to start one. So I would have to just keep looking. I moved to a new area and one day I decided to check out all of the LFS in the area and there were a few actually, which had not been the case previously. The last store I went into I was very impressed with the shop and the owner and just for fun asked him what the largest AOI tank that he sold. He said the largest system he had was a 62 gallon tank that was 48" long and open top made by Tideline International. The tanks I had been looking at in the past were not this large and I really like the idea of the 48" long because I have always loved tangs so this would give me more swimming room. I also felt like this owner really could help me along my journey so within a couple of days I went back and said I wanted purchase a tank. This was on a Friday and he said great I can have the tank here on Tuesday.

Thankfully he sent me home with some rock to start my aquascape. To any newbie I would very much recommend working your aquascape. I had not planned this but so glad I did. I had 3 pieces of Liferock and then one large chunk of dry rock that I took a hammer to and started breaking and then creating my scape using superglue to put it back together. I had my scape ready when my tank came in. I brought the tank home along with 40lbs of live sand and 60 gallons of saltwater that I purchased from my LFS. Also some RODI water for top off. It was fun bringing it all home and getting it set up. Here is a picture of it set up and cycling. What do you think of the scape?

Tank New Set up.jpg

Next was to cycle my tank. I did it without fish. I dosed with Seachem Stability and Aquavitro Seed for the first week or so and added a chunk of frozen food once about every 7 days. My tank had cycled within just over 3 weeks. Once my tank cycled I was so happy to bring my first livestock home. I brought home a pair of clownfish and a skunk cleaner shrimp. After a few days i added some snails as well. 2 Conch snails and 6 nassarius snails. The conch have done good but I have lost a couple of the nassarius snails. I had also added a bottle of copepods by this time as well. The fish were looking great so about a week after I added the fish we decided I could go ahead and add some corals.

Tank clowns.jpg

Adding corals meant I also had to add some lights and flow to the tank. I really liked not adding light until I was ready just because it helped keep the algae and all of that from growing as much. For lighting I went with 2 AI Prime 16 and for flow I added 2 of the AI Nero 3. I have pictured where I have placed one of the Nero 3. I have added the second more recently when I could purchase it. I also added 3 small corals at this time. I did a Green Star Polyp, A leather and some zoanthids. Here is my tank with the light and the one Nero 3. If you look close you can see the 3 corals that I added.

Tank lights.jpg
Tank Nero 3.jpg

After about another week everything seemed to be happy and so I decided it was time for another fish and we decided it would be an ok time to add a Yellow tang. I might should add I have created a stocking list maybe I will attached that afterwards to get opinions. I also brought a few more corals home. I did some more zoas, a couple of encrusting corals and a branching hammer. I might add that I have been changing placements of my corals. I am learning to put them in the tank and give it a little time to think where I want them. To do a little less adjustments. Here is a picture with all of my fish now in the tank. You can see I have adjusted the corals and added a couple. I love the gorgonian that I added to the top of the rocks. Updated pictures I have moved some of the zoas from below.

Tank with tang.jpg

I have been told that it really gets addicting when you start getting into corals and I am totally victim of that. I have also purchased some more zoas from WWC and another branching hammer. And I had lots of fun with the Easter sale this past Friday. I was able to pick up some corals I am really excited about. I think I better stop for awhile.

Here are some pictures that show my progress up to date. I would love for any help and suggestions. Any great ideas for corals and where to place them on the rocks and how to do it. I am really just new at this and am learning as I go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked about posting my stocking list that I put together so I could formulate a plan. My LFS laughed when I showed him but also loved it! I plan on adding the first fish on each row. The rest are alternative considerations. It can be hard to get some of the fish. I do plan on adding the Royal Gramma this week. It will be about 10 days since I added the last fish. Oh I did add some extra media in my filtration area to help build bacteria.

Stocking List.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update photo of my tank right now. I wanted to post this update because I have lots more in it than that last time I posted and I plan on adding more this week so I wanted to get this stage before it changes. I still have a couple of frags I need to place. I find I keep changing my mind so maybe if I wait to place them that will be better although I will still find myself changing them around.

Any suggestions on corals I should choose for my empty locations? What are some good corals for the tops of my rocks. Seems like lots of the beginner corals are lower light.
Tank 4.1.2024.jpg

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a Tideline 47. Yet to be ordered but in talks with LFS and plan to pay to get it ordered today after work. I have a lot of previous experience in the hobby but it’s been a little while, 2019 since my last reef. Looking forward to trying one of these modern looking all in one tanks. I have lights /skimmer/rock left over from a previous tank.

For new corals I’m always a sucker for movement and Euphyllia always look good in a tank to me.

OP
OP
usuvball11

usuvball11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is past time to give an update on my build. It has been busy and I have been adding stuff to my tank. I try to be patient but I am enjoying this coral thing too much. My family is thinking I am crazy because I sit and move the corals because I decide they will look better and do better somewhere else.

IMG_1855.jpg

This photo is from a couple of weeks ago. I had added a Royal Gramma. He is hard to find but he is in there. I am now up to 4 fish. My pair of clowns, a yellow tang and a royal gramma. They area all doing great. I have added some corals too. I am really happy with my hammer garden on the left side. They have been in the tank a few weeks now at this point and I am seeing some new growth on them. The frogspawn also seems to be preparing to split because I am seeing two mouths in the center. I assume this is splitting but it is all new to me.

IMG_1930.jpg

Here is a more recent photo. As you can see I have been adding some corals and I have a few on the sad that I need to place still. I have some ideas of where they might go but at this point I would really like to get a par meter so I can actually know how much light I have in my tank so that it can help me place corals. I have also added two new fish. I added a Tail Spot Blennie and a Six Line Wrasse. The Blennie has so much personality and is just so fun! The six fish in my tank all have some much different personality and are so fun. This is really a fun journey. It has been 2 weeks since I added my last fish. As you can see I do have some algae and diatoms and it has gown a little since this photo was taken. My nitrates are low right now basically at zero and I am not sure why. I would think I would have some with what I have stocked in the tank.

One question I do have is where does everyone like to purchase their coral? I swear I find new sites every day selling coral so it is just hard but they are not all the same price and I am sure not the same quality so what have been your favorite places?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is past time to give an update on my build. It has been busy and I have been adding stuff to my tank. I try to be patient but I am enjoying this coral thing too much. My family is thinking I am crazy because I sit and move the corals because I decide they will look better and do better somewhere else.

IMG_1855.jpg

This photo is from a couple of weeks ago. I had added a Royal Gramma. He is hard to find but he is in there. I am now up to 4 fish. My pair of clowns, a yellow tang and a royal gramma. They area all doing great. I have added some corals too. I am really happy with my hammer garden on the left side. They have been in the tank a few weeks now at this point and I am seeing some new growth on them. The frogspawn also seems to be preparing to split because I am seeing two mouths in the center. I assume this is splitting but it is all new to me.

IMG_1930.jpg

Here is a more recent photo. As you can see I have been adding some corals and I have a few on the sad that I need to place still. I have some ideas of where they might go but at this point I would really like to get a par meter so I can actually know how much light I have in my tank so that it can help me place corals. I have also added two new fish. I added a Tail Spot Blennie and a Six Line Wrasse. The Blennie has so much personality and is just so fun! The six fish in my tank all have some much different personality and are so fun. This is really a fun journey. It has been 2 weeks since I added my last fish. As you can see I do have some algae and diatoms and it has gown a little since this photo was taken. My nitrates are low right now basically at zero and I am not sure why. I would think I would have some with what I have stocked in the tank.

One question I do have is where does everyone like to purchase their coral? I swear I find new sites every day selling coral so it is just hard but they are not all the same price and I am sure not the same quality so what have been your favorite places?
I get a lot locally from offerUp of craigslist. Defn. be careful though. May not work if you're in a rural area.
find a reputable seller. A lot of people do a the occasional live sales announced on R2R.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back