DIY AIO 40G for a toddler

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve already done quite a bit but I’ll explain what has happened so far in this build. So my son is about to turn 2 and I shut down my last tank right before he was born as I was going to be too busy with my first child. When we go to the aquarium at the zoo he loves looking at the fish and would be there for an hour if we let him. So I decided to set up a new tank just for him. I still had some of my equipment in the attic and could reuse it.

My last tank had all HOB equipment and I didn’t like it so I wanted an AIO tank but knew they were expensive so I got the idea to make my own. I found a kit through BRS to add a sump to a 40 breeder and just figured I could make my own which is what I did with superglue and some 100% silicone. It looked pretty similar to what I saw on the website and I saved $150 over what they charge so I felt impressed with myself at the time.

I do woodwork as a small hobby so when I went to go get a stand for the tank at Petco and saw the price I was like nope and went to Home Depot for some wood and some stain. I already had all the tools to make something that looked nice and just put them to work. I built the stand and rounded the edges with a router and went over the final product with 320 grit sandpaper before staining it to actually look nice. I have only made the stand and have not actually made the doors yet. I need to get the doors made soon since my toddler loves taking things out from the inside and walking away with them. Like fish food or my refractometer will disappear because he wanted to play with it.
Once the stand was done I got the RODI system and salt buckets out of the attic and put back together replacing all of the old filters. I got some water in the trash can that had been sitting in my basement empty for 2 years and added salt and let it sit till I needed it.

I knew I didn’t want just rocks piled like my last tank when I had seen some awesome negative space stuff popping up so I gave a shot with that. I picket up 2 flat pieces as anchor point and a bunch of larger chucks at my LFS and got to smashing them up into smaller pieces. I went and got some epoxy putty and some more silicone and used the putty and silicone to make something that I think looks artistic and gives space for fish to also hide at the same time. I know now I should have used mortar, superglue, and sand but I will have to take that knowledge for when I do my next build in my business office next year. The epoxy putty and the silicone were not crazy strong and would not survive the movement to the tank so I slowly slid it to a sheet of acrylic and used silicone to attach it in place. Once that was set I moved the acrylic into the tank and added the sand and slowly filled with water.

I added the heater, filter socks, return pump, bio blocks, and got my HOB skimmer, and auto feeder from the attic as my only piece of HOB equipment but will be off to the side. I kept the skimmer unplugged I added life bacteria while using the feeder to ghost feed 2 times a day for a month no lights.

Once I got through the nitrogen cycle I added some fake plants to keep my son entertained and added the first fish which were 2 black clowns that we named Batman and Robin. Right after that we got a yellow watchman we named J’onn after martian Manhunter in DC comics who always is hanging out in the watchtower. If you can’t tell me and my wife are both big nerds. J’onn has his partner the pistol shrimp but he doesn’t have a name. A week after that we got four pajama cardinals, which we named Mysterio since I figure there’s really only one fish and the other three are just holograms. Then this last week I added a 6 line wrasse. Wrasse rhymes with butt and the biggest butt in comics I know is Deadpool so that that’s what we named him.

Going through some equipment I had planned on using for my 125 gallon tank that will eventually go in my office I found a control 4 by Hydros and honestly, I was given it for free as long as I purchased some MP10 pumps. Honestly, when I made the deal, I didn’t even know what it was until I did a little bit more research and realized that this could be a complete game changer for my set up. First thing I realized it could do was automate my top off when I had evaporation so I set that up with a 5 gallon bucket of water next to the tank. The holy grail for me was automating water changes using dosing pumps and water level sensors. I only had one level sensor so I needed to get another one and I needed two dosing pumps that were capable of pumping water from my trash bin filled with salt water down in the basement. I picked up from Amazon two pumps made by Kamoer doing 300 ML per minute and have it set up on a schedule of doing .85 gallons every single day using the control 4.

I found on Facebook marketplace, someone shutting down a tank, getting rid of some lights, and picked them up while borrowing a PAR meter from someone in my local club that way I could tune the LEDs so I was not putting in too much light for just some simple corals like what I want. More than likely Zoas and GSP. I may eventually do some thing a little bit fancier, but since this entire build has been dedicated to what my son finds entertaining, I want it very low maintenance.

I have heard people say that the fake anemone is not great, and can cause issues later, so I am actually making a mold with my 3-D printer to try and make my own out of pure silicone and glow in the dark filament which I know is reef safe. I’ve actually used my 3-D printer for a few things with this tank like the funnel that goes directly through the screen underneath the automatic feeder.

Last month me and my family went to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina and picked up some shells and other things on the beach and when I got home, cleaned them up by putting them in boiling water and then baking them for a few hours to kill anything that may have been on them still. Once that was done, I put the shells in the tank as a few more decorations.

So that is where I am up until this point I have plans for corals and I am thinking two more fish and will try and keep things updated.

IMG_3325.jpeg IMG_3347.jpeg IMG_3351.jpeg IMG_3354.jpeg IMG_3355.jpeg IMG_3379.jpeg IMG_3410.jpeg IMG_3411.jpeg IMG_3416.jpeg IMG_3465.jpeg IMG_3583.jpeg IMG_3671.png IMG_3676.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks TX. I am waiting for the weather to get nicer before I build proper doors but I needed something to keep my son out so I just did some cheap wood from Home Depot in the mean time but it came out nice in the mean time.

Attachments

• IMG_3679.jpeg
    IMG_3679.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I may get hell for this but I got a sailfin tang a few days ago that is 1.5” and fully aware that he will get bigger and I will have to relocate him to a larger tank. Hopefully by then I have the 125G set up in my office. In the mean time though he seems happy with my other fish. We named him Yondu from guardians of the galaxy. I am thinking of testing my water parameters tomorrow to see if I am ready for some small corals like zoas.

Attachments

• IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s was a nightmare! I just bought the coralvue hydros auto feeder and was setting it up. I am setting up the amount that comes out with each turn and as I attach the cup to the motor the cup falls apart dumping a quarter of the pellets into the tank that immediately get picked up by the flow pump and kicks all of it all over the tank. I immediately freeze because I can’t believe that just happened. The next hour was me using my pump I use to transfer water from my RODI bucket to my salt water bucket to kick up all the pellets up off the sand to then get flushed into my filter socks. I also trippled the automatic water changes being done for the next week and just now finally getting cleaned up and going to be after I finish this strong glass of bourbon. Wow I am not looking forward to testing nitrate and phosphate for the next few days. It looks like I got most of it but I am sure I missed a good amount of pellets that will just rot. I haven't seen my 6 line wrasse since this morning and am wondering if he was a casualty from stress. Hopefully I see him tomorrow and he is just hiding. Wow what a day

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i have no idea how I am so lucky but i did not suffer a single loss even though I could not find my watchman or my wrasse. This morning I could right away see my wrasse swimming around but did not see the watchman. After looking from the underside of the tank in the network of tunnels i finally found him with his shrimp pal. I changed the automation to do 3 separate 1 gallon water changes daily instead of the 1 as well as using my siphon to clean the sand of any food and a manual 5 gallon water change. My Ph has not bounced back yet and is sitting at 7.80 and i will find out later today when my reagent get in the mail what my nitrate and phosphate is at.

OP
OP
G

Griepp06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few updates to my tank. After my food dump a few weeks ago I got what I think will be my last fish. I got a captive bred female mandarin that will eat small pellets so I don’t gotta worry about it starving to death. I do also have some pods in there but if the colony ever dies I shouldn’t have to worry about her. There is already “The Mandarin” villain in marvel, so that’s just what I’m going to name her.

Last week I started to get a case of red slime so I put some medication in and before I could even get to the hydros app to turn my skimmer off it was foaming out the top and overflowing on the floor. I cleaned up the floor and let the medicine do its thing which seems to have worked.

Last weekend their was a local coral expo that brought coral sellers from across the Midwest,USA and I got a birds nest, a purple hammer, a blue zoa frag, and a frag with both orange zoas and pink/purple paly. I put the 3 frags on a ceramic skull I ordered and hopefully it fills the entire skull up with zoas and palys.

Yesterday I went to a local fish club meeting and the guy putting it on had some large frags sitting in the sump a green slimmer and another purple hammer so he just sent me home with them. Because I was running out of room in the tank after adding them I took out the fake plants. I got a lot of hate for having fake plants in a saltwater tank but my LFS has them in every small tank as well as a PVC tube and they have never had issues and on top of that my son liked them so that was the big thing. In the sump they both were only getting about 50 par he said so hopefully little bit better lightning bring them back.

So in all I have 10 fish, 5 inverts, and 12 corals in there.

Attachments

• IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3854.jpeg
    IMG_3854.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3855.jpeg
    IMG_3855.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 7

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back