Popbloom RS90 wifi upgrade

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new thread about the wifi upgrade for the popbloom lights. They have been kind enough to send me a board I installed in one of my lights and started testing it a few weeks ago. The software part have been designed by tuya and is controlled via the home automation tuya software which I find is a good thing because I have already enough different apps on my phone...
So my first impression is that its way easier to prpgram the lights at your preference. One thing I didnt like with the old device is how the light would sometime go from full light to almost nothing in about 1 seconde. To me that looked unatural. With the software, you have much more latitude and the visual graph gives a good idea of what it will look like. Yoy can even test time with a slider bar.
The thing I was the least impressed with is the lightning storm simulator, I believe if it can be simulated corectly, it should be removed...lightning is some kind of greenish light ramping up then down over about half a second.nothing like the white blue flash I have in mind when I think of a lightning.
Will continu later

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for read more, and of course, to get my hands on promised new controller ;)

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I am getting more and more familiar with the software. finding some irritants and some good features. Here is the message I sent to Oliver about the software:

"Hi, About the preprogrammed setup, I think some of them are confusing. those named warm summer, tempered summer etc....I love those named about water depth, SPS, LPS, etc.
I loved on the ancient controller the mode for lowering algae, I was disappointed to see its not there anymore. (I dont remember the exact terms, I am at office right now)

Another thing I was a bit confused about is that whatever preprogram channel you choose, if you selected the moon phases, the ch2 will always follow the moon phase, even if all other channels are at 100%. Is there any way to make sure that, if in preprogrammed setup, ch2 is over, for exemple, 8%; ch2 start raising like programmed?

I loved the feature where I can easily change the light curve of individual channels on preprogrammed settings; but it was kinda hard to move the line at the exact setting points to raise or lower intensity. Would help a lot if line would stick to the adjustable points instead of trying to find the right place on a small phone screen.

Lightning mode is very disappointing, I was expecting a quick flash of white-blue light. To see the ramping up and down of the greenish light was very underwhelming. I understand there might be some technical limitation to that, but if it cant be better, I dont think its a feature people will use in its current form.

Well, thats what I tested for now, still testing the features.
thanks"

Djmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the info.

Do you know how are multiple lights handled in the software? If you have two or more units, do they each have wifi controllers? And are they managed as a group?

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the info.

Do you know how are multiple lights handled in the software? If you have two or more units, do they each have wifi controllers? And are they managed as a group?
the way the board install, that would strongly suggest independent lights; meaning that if you have 4 lights, you will need 4 wifi modules; unless they come up with a module that can share the signal with the other lights, the way it is already shared right now with turing controller.
Maybe @Oliver@DSunY can chime in and confirm?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if that is the case, then this is step back......

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, we can talk and give oppinions, but, in reality, we dont know.

More important to me, at least in thinking, is, if one light means one independed controller, that is not a good thing to existing users. I think that small % of users will invest in 2,3 or more new controllers. Of course, there is question will new controller be offered as upgrade, or only with new purchases.

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, we can talk and give oppinions, but, in reality, we dont know.

More important to me, at least in thinking, is, if one light means one independed controller, that is not a good thing to existing users. I think that small % of users will invest in 2,3 or more new controllers. Of course, there is question will new controller be offered as upgrade, or only with new purchases.
that has already been answered by Oliver. The board will be offered as a brand new fixture and as an upgrade

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed that....

Well, then it will all depend on upgrade price....

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all light are able to control as "group"

Each light is independant in hardware.

For example, you have 2 tanks and 3 pcs Hertz RL90 (we call WiFi "Hertz" and controller "Turing", remote "Shannon" )
#1,#2 on a 120cm tank and #3 on a 60cm tank.

you are able to set #1 and #2 as a group, they are same brightness and sunrise/sunset and anytime.
the #3 is independant.

you are able to set #1,#2,#3 as a group for same brightness and sunrise/sunset

The max number of the group in your home up to your wifi -router.
Normally a good home-router is able support more than 12 pcs wifi terminals, so 10 pcs is no problem.

If you are a aquarium owner, you have to install a Industrial-Routers or some home-router (by tree structure)

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is free test sample for the frinds in Reef2Reef. you only pay the shipping cost, it is up to where are you.

Please it is too difficult for me to check the shipping address and cost. so the following easy way for you.
1, make order from this link but not pay, and comment : "reef2reef for test sample"
2, then there is your address and our team will check the shipping cost and modify the price.
3, you only pay the shipping cost and waiting for it.

there is pictures show how to replace the old cords-boards with wifi boards.

Please there is only 1 pcs wifi boards free .
If you want a wifi light, RL90, or if you want more wifi boards, tell us in this thread, I will help you to win a big discount. :)

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed that....

Well, then it will all depend on upgrade price....
Dear Koh23,

I know you are waiting it too long time. sorry... there is no wifi controller at this moment.

the light can be group and controller as a single light. so, seems there is no nessary to develop a wifi controller, in which there is a long cords .

attached video for your reference.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this video show
1, how to add 2 pcs RL90 in Tuya app.
2, then group them for your Tank1 which is in your living room, ( assume , there are tanks in other room)
3, dim them just same as a single light.

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this video show how to select a program (sunrise and sunset circle) for your tank.

you see, all the 2 light work as a single light.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the love of god i didnt understand a word.....

How to connect existing controller to wifi?

I tried to add device, but of course, nothing.

Or this is some feature unavailable in current controller, or something additional is needed?

Please clarify

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 70 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.9%
Back