Tank wipeout

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your tank is ready to go again, I would put together a list of fish you want to put in. Be aware of their eventual maximum size when choosing. The old rule was 1 inch of fish to 3 gallons of water. I have heard of those who push the limits up, and wonder if you can go towards a 1:2 ratio based on equipment and tank size. I would confirm this before going there. But get a fish list together and start a thread with your ideas. I did that. And got shot down in a few areas where I had not considered something. Then modify and repost. Rinse and repeat.

In terms of procuring new fish, you CAN get those from a vendor that has already QT'd them. That's what I plan to do. At least at the beginning with the first few until my own QT cycles and becomes a safe environment. But in this hobby, you absolutely need the ability to QT fish in case of something completely unexpected occurs. And trust me......it will.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I do feel ya. My last tank went down several years ago in a spectacular fashion. Nothing I could do. It affected me so much I quit. That was a mistake. Do not be me!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear this. I would set up a QT/hospital tank of some type and treat your fish in that - you should be able to get a cheap tank, heater and sponge filter - as well as some bottled bacteria which will do the trick. Treat all of the fish for 30 days with copper per protocol - followed by Prazipro as directed 2 doses 8 days apart. (There is a protocol at the top of the thread in the forum). Then you can remove medication - but leave your display tank fallow for 6-8 weeks. A seachem alert badge can be helpful to monitor ammonia in the small QT tank.

I know it's a hassle, however, those are the recommendations I have. You could put the fish in a tank and do hypo salinity (if you don't want to do copper) - however, in the chance this is velvet not ich, hyposalinity will not help. Hope this helps - feel free to ask any other questions!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back