Ball Anemone Info

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I am getting in a pretty sick ball anemone and would like to get some information from people who have these in your tank.
I have already read this
Aquarium Invertebrates: Mushrooms, Elephants Ears, And False Corals: A Review Of The Corallimorpharia — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
which seems to be the only real info on the web about these.
This is the one we are getting
photo-4.png

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the person you getting it from should get you a better picture.. shame on him.. what a lazy guy to send a phone picture.. :tongue:

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone

They will not host clowns, they will eat clowns. Like most non hosting anemones they are considered aggrresive. Not that they are going to attack anything but get to close and they will strong.

They are very good and hardy but not reef safe in my opionon.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eat fish and Walk around and sting corals.

Pseudocorynactis are non-photosynthetic and as a result require daily feeding for best health. There are a variety of frozen fish foods available that make outstanding meals for Pseudocorynactis. We like to feed a mixture of meaty foods such as shrimp, fish, and squid with vitamin additives and highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFA). The size of the food must be small enough that the polyp can fully ingest it.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the person you getting it from should get you a better picture.. shame on him.. what a lazy guy to send a phone picture.. :tongue:
Haha, no worries, although if you want to snap a pic real quick..oh wait, its probably in a box already:wink:

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not host clowns, they will eat clowns. Like most non hosting anemones they are considered aggrresive. Not that they are going to attack anything but get to close and they will strong.

They are very good and hardy but not reef safe in my opionon.
Yup, we are setting up a 12G species only for it. May get a yasha goby/pistol shrimp combo for the tank as the goby should stay away from it if the nem settles high up enough. May not be worth the risk..

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pseudocorynactis are non-photosynthetic and as a result require daily feeding for best health. There are a variety of frozen fish foods available that make outstanding meals for Pseudocorynactis. We like to feed a mixture of meaty foods such as shrimp, fish, and squid with vitamin additives and highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFA). The size of the food must be small enough that the polyp can fully ingest it.
Thanks for the good info! Where are yours from, do you have pics?

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont keep non hosting anemones.

Through the years i come to learn so much and alot pf times i go to lfs and i get the " hey what kinda of anemone do you think this is?"

I only keep clowns and anemones and zoas to fill in rock work.

I also love to share the knowledge i have amassed if it helps someone keep an animal alive or prevent someone frlm making a bad choice.

A species tank sounds awsome they are gorgeous anemone.

Sexy where did it come from. If you can find out yiu can try and find fish that come from the same area. It will be helpful

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it came from indonesia, but definitely pacific in origin. It looks unlike any I've seen before, most look orange..or clear and small

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, I’m sorry for ‘reviving’ a dead thread however, I just wanted to make this clear.
Ball anemones are harmless, I have ine in with my yasha goby, two wrasse and a Blenny. They’re actually NPS corallimorphs so they can’t sting but also they don’t get very big

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m sorry for ‘reviving’ a dead thread however, I just wanted to make this clear.
Ball anemones are harmless, I have ine in with my yasha goby, two wrasse and a Blenny. They’re actually NPS corallimorphs so they can’t sting but also they don’t get very big
I’d like to disagree. Not sure what species you have but they block access to areas of LR for snails and other critters. I know they eat snails and I’ve witness one eating a bristle worm. So they do affect the tank. They also multiply quickly. They have spread over my lower section of the LR and if I pull out my blue beam light at night I see babies on the LR. I’m in the process of getting rid of them or getting the numbers low.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one as a hitchhiker and I just fed the tank and left it one it did fine
837059B2-2E41-4C7E-A65E-6E066C1DEDFB.jpeg

It hasn’t multiplied? The one with blue balls at the end of its tentacles and white mouths?
2300EB06-4D32-431F-9084-EF0EB1B6818A.jpeg

you can see my issue ATM...

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Natural crown of thorn starfish eaters, taking down a long spine. 71A4703F-2488-41A8-A1F8-6CC50EC144D7.jpeg 059632FC-1F0E-4FA3-8291-8CE315FD5F95.jpeg 906975F5-E468-4475-B9D8-80CE5CF52039.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do you get rid of em? I have the same issue, they are messing with corals.
Youre having issue with ball anemones? You shouldn't as they are actually mushrooms and given the name anemone as their little balls represent anemone pattern and come in nice colors and harmless

multsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, they are spreading rapidly, and starting to pester my zoas.

20230430_213001.jpg 20230430_183650.jpg 20230430_183657.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back