Help with lighting options for Anemone/Clownfish tank

excaliber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are complete newbies and just purchased our first Saltwater tank. It's a Tideline aio 62. The plan is to have Anemone and a Clownfish pair and some tankmates that will get along with them if possible.

We are slowly getting things together but lighting seems to be a hang up for us on what to buy. Is there a good quality light in the 150.-250.00 +/- dollar range that provides quality and the proper spectrum to raise BTA's properly? We were looking at the Prime 16's but allot of bad reviews on lenses melting and loud noisy fans.
I was looking at the Noopscyche 7 pro 3? and was wondering about that light option?

I've searched and read so much here but I thought I'd ask the experience folks on this forum what works best for them? I'm open to suggestions and a kick in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are complete newbies and just purchased our first Saltwater tank. It's a Tideline aio 62. The plan is to have Anemone and a Clownfish pair and some tankmates that will get along with them if possible.

We are slowly getting things together but lighting seems to be a hang up for us on what to buy. Is there a good quality light in the 150.-250.00 +/- dollar range that provides quality and the proper spectrum to raise BTA's properly? We were looking at the Prime 16's but allot of bad reviews on lenses melting and loud noisy fans.
I was looking at the Noopscyche 7 pro 3? and was wondering about that light option?

I've searched and read so much here but I thought I'd ask the experience folks on this forum what works best for them? I'm open to suggestions and a kick in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
I recently (a few months ago) bought a Smatfarm on Amazon. My BTAs love it. It comes with presets, sps, lps, mixed, freshwater, etc. I put it on lps and it works fine.

Since you're new to saltwater, and want a clown/anemone tank, BTAs are definitely your best bet. Clowns are super easy to keep, but anemones are more particular. BTAs are the best bet, as for host species, they are definitely the most forgiving. BTW, if you want a sure bet pairing of your anemones and clowns, get a clownfish species that is naturally hosted by BTAs (Entacmaea quadricolor), e.g., maroon, tomatoes, cinnamons, clarkii, to name a few. Ocellaris and perculas are not natural symbiotes with BTAs and it's a crap shot. Orange skunks and pink skunks aren't natural symbiotes with BTAs either, but are usually happy to take to a BTA.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back