Anemone Help!

reefnewbie96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new to saltwater tank keeping. I got a tank for free and decided to try saltwater. I have two clownfish and 4 turbo snails that have been doing well so I decided to get an anemone from PetCo for my tank. It hasn’t been doing well and I’m not sure what I’ve been doing wrong; I placed it in an area that had good flow and directly under the led lights in my tank but it moved under the rock and now doesn’t get any flow or much light. I’ve tried moving it and flipping the rock around to where the anemone gets better flow and more light but it keeps moving back under the rock. I feed it frozen brine shrimp with spirulina (I thaw it in a bowl with water from the tank). Attached are pictures of what it looked like when I bought it and what it currently looks like. I’m really sad about it and I don’t want it to die or kill it by accident; any help would be appreciated! I have also been struggling with Cyanobacteria but I’m doing regular water changes and have a protein skimmer on order that I think will help

E66DE2E8-CED9-4573-BD5E-C4F5FAA61A7D.jpeg 8C45EF5A-07ED-40AE-AD2B-040124363870.jpeg

phillyb614

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but you are way to early for a nem. Stop trying to make it do stuff it does not want to do. You may want to consider returning it to try and save it.
I agree. You should probably wait at least a year before putting an anemone. Your tank needs to be more established.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I’m new to saltwater tank keeping. I got a tank for free and decided to try saltwater. I have two clownfish and 4 turbo snails that have been doing well so I decided to get an anemone from PetCo for my tank. It hasn’t been doing well and I’m not sure what I’ve been doing wrong; I placed it in an area that had good flow and directly under the led lights in my tank but it moved under the rock and now doesn’t get any flow or much light. I’ve tried moving it and flipping the rock around to where the anemone gets better flow and more light but it keeps moving back under the rock. I feed it frozen brine shrimp with spirulina (I thaw it in a bowl with water from the tank). Attached are pictures of what it looked like when I bought it and what it currently looks like. I’m really sad about it and I don’t want it to die or kill it by accident; any help would be appreciated! I have also been struggling with Cyanobacteria but I’m doing regular water changes and have a protein skimmer on order that I think will help

E66DE2E8-CED9-4573-BD5E-C4F5FAA61A7D.jpeg 8C45EF5A-07ED-40AE-AD2B-040124363870.jpeg
Take the anemone back if you can. A mature tank is a must for them. With a new tank, there are changes in chemistry and anemone needs stable water quality and tank will endure a series of water changes which they also do not favor. Take some time to get parameters stable and let the system cycle for a few months.
Acclimation also very important at introduction

OP
OP
R

reefnewbie96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but you are way to early for a nem. Stop trying to make it do stuff it does not want to do. You may want to consider returning it to try and save it.
Gotcha, I will try to return it. We’ve had the tank up since July/August and I thought that was enough time. Thank you for your advice!

OP
OP
R

reefnewbie96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. You should probably wait at least a year before putting an anemone. Your tank needs to be more established.
I will be trying to return it, if possible. The tank has been up since July/August and I thought it would be ready for an anemone. If I’m able to return this one, I will definitely wait a full year before attempting another. Thank you for your advice!

OP
OP
R

reefnewbie96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the anemone back if you can. A mature tank is a must for them. With a new tank, there are changes in chemistry and anemone needs stable water quality and tank will endure a series of water changes which they also do not favor. Take some time to get parameters stable and let the system cycle for a few months.
Acclimation also very important at introduction.
Yes, I will be trying to return it. If they aren’t able to take it back, is there anything I can do to try to help it? Should I just keep feeding it and hope for the best?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, I will be trying to return it. If they aren’t able to take it back, is there anything I can do to try to help it? Should I just keep feeding it and hope for the best?
Monitor and maintain water quality but explain to store that you were not aware that your anemone was not well suited for a newer tank and will be back for one when the time is right

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back