Digital Aquatics Archon Controller Beta tester Writeup

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digital Aquatics Archon Controller Write-up
For 2015 Digital Aquatics is releasing their new ARCHON controller as their new flagship controller. I was one of the lucky few to get my hands on a BETA unit just after they started production of the Beta. My unit was shipped to me along with an iTemp probe, PH probe and a pair of PC4 Modules. I was super stoked to get the chance to test this baby out as I have been a DA power user for about 4 years.

2014-12-05%2017.15.11.jpg

Right out of the box, this was a completely new system. Physically it is the size of two of their existing modules. It comes with:
– 2 selectable inputs for pH and/or ORP
– 4 bus ports for connection to Archon modules
– 4 individual 0-5/0-10V outputs for lighting and dimmable ballasts
– 6 ports for switch inputs or triggers
– 4 ports for PWM dimming control for LED lighting
– Built-in programming and firmware updating via USB and WEB
– Full compatibility with existing Digital Aquatics modules
So, that is A LOT more than what the RKE can do. Out of the box, it has a lot of support.
As a Beta tester, it was my job to run this thing hard and put it thru the paces. I did my best and as a group, we identified several things it lacked and some errors. But we also saw this good in it and have been continuously working with DA to improve the product. In my mind, it is almost there being a great controller.
So, here goes. How I hooked it to my system and then let her go.
Initially I just powered it on and connected it to my Wifi. From there I plugged in the temp and PH and the PC4 modules. I ran it thru several tests and once I felt comfortable I let it take over some less than critical functions of my tank. Over the course of a few weeks, I gradually brought more online and then just before Christmas I brought my SL2v2 over to the Archon. From that moment on, the Archon completely controlled my tank. ATO, Lights, Heat, pumps, everything.
My RKE still sits on the tank today. Doing nothing more than using electricity. It will most likely come off in the near future. Since the Archon is backwards compatible with ALL of my modules (except the net) here is what I have hooked to it
1. Archon Head unit with iTemp and PH probes
2. Sl2v2 with Salinity PH and a switch used
3. APC with DCI and two Jebao pumps
4. HUB module (no really needed but heck, I had it)
5. Qty 3 PC4 Modules.
So, What makes the Archon so different from the RKE and RKL is its interface. Everything is web based. When logging in you get a customizable home page and then access to other functions thru buttons or tabs at the top. Available pages are:
1. Home
2. Graphing
3. Inputs
4. Outputs
5. System
6. Alarms
7. Standbys (not a separate page but allows you to activate the standby of your choice
Below I’ll take you thru each page
1. Home or Main
Home.jpg

a. This page gives you quick access to view what you want to. Clicking a Gear under the inputs or outputs allows you to customize what you want to see. You can view your parameters and outputs very easily and it is user selectable.
b. Once you choose an item it lines up in its respective column
i. For inputs, you will see the Returned data and have the ability to Graph it directly on the home page on the right. Just click the graph me button.
ii. For outputs, you can select between Off, Auto and On. You can also graph these as well and it shows the current status of the device.
c. Everything updates in almost real time so if you have pumps kicking on and off, it will show this.
d. Graphs on the Right side are small but can be expanded and adjusted by double clicking on the bottom bar of the graph. Super Handy
2. Graphs Page
Graphs.jpg

a. Select the port or item you want to graph in the list in the middle. Choose your interval (default is 1 minute)
b. Graphed history shows up here. double click on the bottom and you get a full screen moveable graph.
c. Easily clear data if you want.
d. You can graph ANYTHING.
3. Outputs page.
Outputs.jpg

a. Column on the left allows you to select the item you want to adjust. Archon on top, everything else below separated by the module
i. Click the gear on an item allows you to see its detailed programming on the right.
ii. You can change the module name here and the channel name. No short limit and you can use spaces!
iii. Current function shows pre-installed programming choice. Use dropdown to select what you want then push Show and it will give you the details to fill in.
iv. Click save to save it.
b. Again, all Modules are listed here. if you remove one, it will state the error here too.
c. In my photo, I show part of the configuration for my APC module with one of my WP40.
i. Max is 35%
ii. Pulse is 3 seconds
iii. Night time is 30% of the max
4. Inputs page
Inputs.jpg

a. Functions just like the outputs page.
b. You can see port errors if they are present.
c. Clicking gear allows you to program and calibrate the particular input port.
5. System page
system.jpg

a. This is the magical page. Lots of information here.
b. Timers
i. Select existing timer and hit show data to see its programming
ii. Select new for a new one to make. You can Customize the names however you wish
c. Alarms
i. Same as above. Customizable
d. Standby Timers
i. Show data allows you to change them HH:MM:SS
ii. Can’t change these names
e. Date and time Plus Night mode
f. You will also see the updated status of the system on the right. If the Main running files for the Archon need an update, then it will show that here. Click the button to update it. also shows version name
g. Also has a command area as well to allow customizable commands.
h. Shutdown button allows you to safely remove the USB drive from the system for Other updates
6. Alarms page
alarms.jpg

a. Shows the alarm log and allows you to clear a triggered alarm.
b. Input the email information for the alert
For now, this is what I have on where I am with the Archon. This controller is Light years ahead and different from where the RKL and RKE are currently. One of the biggest features that I haven’t talked much about is that the Archon is OPEN SOURCE. So if you want to customize the web interface, you can. It is easy to add another page to the system. Beta testers have already gotten a Webcam page integrated into the home page so you can view your camera. My camera isn’t working currently so I don’t have that, but expect DA to integrate this into the Archon.

Plans in the works to allow the RKE and RKL head units to become interactive displays for the Archon. Also the interface is designed to be easily useable on a mobile device as well. I access mine on my Galaxy S5 all the time.

I plan to continue to update this thread as my system progresses. They are starting to ship the first units now so expect to hear more.

Disclaimer: I don’t work for DA, nor have I been paid. I received a system to evaluate as a beta tester and provide feedback and insight.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
I'm looking into the archon now, and had a few questions.

Can you set a port on the PC4 as a return pump and link it to a float switch so as it turns off? I know with the old RKE/RKL you could set it as a pump or as a switch but not both.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back