Planning stages of "new" tank (build thread?)

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
40
Location
Athens,AL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all! I have run out of room in my 125 (wife's tank ;) ) and I am going to start up a chalice dominated tank. I have most of the equipment I need to get started. I just have to pick up new bulkheads and build an overflow box and stand. Right not I am running through a few aqua scape designs and would like to get your opinions. I am trying to maximize "flat" surfaces in the tank that won't get pounded with light. Here is one I kind of like but seems to have the best looking element.
7u3e2ymu.jpg
but it doesn't have a lot of room.

Here is the next option I'm looking at. Much more room for frags ( as indicated by the tiles) :)

ge6y5eba.jpg


And finally one I don't like much at all but adds more vertical space.
syzepana.jpg


So what do y'all think? Which one do you like best and why?

Oh yeah the tank is a 50 gal "cube" 24x24x20. Flow will be from return and 1 mp10. Lighting will be a 175w ushuo 20k bulb on icecap ballast.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to posting often in this thread.
 
I would go with number two. I like that it has almost a lagoon feel and a lot of real estate. The third one looks too forced and the least natural.
 
I also like option #2!
 
Thank you for your input. That is my favorite of the scapes also and probably the one I'll go with.

Now on to which overflow design I'm going to go with. I like the beananimal design but I am not sure if I want an overflow in the tank. There are three 1 1/2" holes in the top back of the tank already but no overflow box and I like the room but I have not figured out a way to get a clean look without the box. Does that make sense? Any suggestions?
 
#2 Lookin' forward to following! :D
 
i am doing a stag garden in a cube. stags on acrylic rods so they look like trees. going with a sandbed and no rock in the display. i am going with a carpet, but this design might work for you. light filtering throught the branches. good luck.

-bart
 
That sounds awesome, Bart! I'm going to put a couple of acros in the top part of the display but I'm not sure which ones yet. Stags would probably work very well! Thanks for the idea.
 
Is it done yet? :D
 
Thanks for the offer. I have some acrylic rod already. I am Going to try and "borrow" your idea and see how I like it.
 
Thank you for your input. That is my favorite of the scapes also and probably the one I'll go with.

Now on to which overflow design I'm going to go with. I like the beananimal design but I am not sure if I want an overflow in the tank. There are three 1 1/2" holes in the top back of the tank already but no overflow box and I like the room but I have not figured out a way to get a clean look without the box. Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

If it weren't already drilled, I would say this is the overflow for the job. I am going to try it with my new build.

Last night I got to thinking after seeing your rockscape there on the floor yesterday that you had not accounted for the overflow. So I came back here to reread this. My overflow eats up a lot of tank, so I was wondering how you war going to do it.
 
If it weren't already drilled, I would say this is the overflow for the job. I am going to try it with my new build.

Last night I got to thinking after seeing your rockscape there on the floor yesterday that you had not accounted for the overflow. So I came back here to reread this. My overflow eats up a lot of tank, so I was wondering how you war going to do it.

That would be a great overflow but I don't think I have the right configuration.....I have come up with an Idea that I think will work without changing my aquascape design. It will be a coast to coast overflow that goes down in the tank 5" and my rocks are only 14" high so I should have a little room to spare in height and the box will be 3" front to back to allow for the elbows in the beananimal design. I will paint the back of the tank black and with the black acrylic it should blend right in. Now to start the ordering process. I have the acrylic and will start cutting and drilling it tomorrow.
 
I like the third one best, and I'd lose the tiles and glue them down. Plenty of room and its the most aesthetically pleasing to me!
 
I like the third one best, and I'd lose the tiles and glue them down. Plenty of room and its the most aesthetically pleasing to me!

Thanks! I've already decided on the second one an the tiles are just for reference because that I what the chalices are already mounted to. Luckily most of them are covering the ugly tiles so that won't be an issue for too long!
 
That would be a great overflow but I don't think I have the right configuration.....I have come up with an Idea that I think will work without changing my aquascape design. It will be a coast to coast overflow that goes down in the tank 5" and my rocks are only 14" high so I should have a little room to spare in height and the box will be 3" front to back to allow for the elbows in the beananimal design. I will paint the back of the tank black and with the black acrylic it should blend right in. Now to start the ordering process. I have the acrylic and will start cutting and drilling it tomorrow.

I think the coast to coast is the right plan.
 
That looks very interesting, Bart. I can't wait to see it all come together! It's going to be awesome I can tell!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new