What do you want out of a LFS?

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SaltAddict89 recently had a thread.
[h=3]LFS vs Online[/h]As someone who is about to open a new LFS in Old Saybrook, What do you want out of your LFS?

I will be carrying more dry goods than the fish only stores in CT but don't want to get stuck with a bunch of skimmers if everyone is only going to buy them online etc.
I already plan on selling salt at a huge discount but the store needs to be profitable. I can't sell everything at a 20% mark-up or I will be out of business. Online and the superstores have already killed many LFS. I plan on being competitively priced with the super stores but carry more dry goods for the fish hobby then most stores.
For instance what brands of foods, supplements etc do you want to see?
Do you want a local place where you can run and pick up a skimmer, sump, UV, etc?

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeromy
Shoreline Pet & Aquarium
719 Boston Post RD
Old Saybrook, CT 06475

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt will always be needed. I know stores up in Mass are just selling salt at cost to break even and they're just using that to bring in more customers to buy their corals and livestock. I would say stock up on sand, rocks, supplements, salt. Should also think about stocking up on jebao pumps and Powerhead and other various chinese products like lights and doser as well.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James it's gonna be in old Saybrook area so it's close enough. 1 of the biggest things are things like bulkheads and other plumbing items that are usually only used in tanks. Different kinds of pumps so if we need something in a emergency we can come see you. Emergency items will always go to the lfs if possible usually you don't have a choice. I would carry the reef frenzy line of fish food along with other types. Black worms would be awesome. I think a good selling point is also having the different led and other manufacturers on all the tanks. There are just so many out there to be able to see a few next to each other to play with or just see it in person is great. I honestly can't wait for you to open.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different kinds of sand also atleast some of the reef types. I think as long as you carry map pricing skimmers and things like that we would rather put the money in your pocket. People are always gonna go were it's cheaper but things like reef octopus tunze or vortech are map pricing so we can get them from you right away instead of waiting for them to be shipped

betelgeuse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices clearly marked... I can't tell you the number of times I've left a store because I can't figure out a price of something (and I always feel like if it's not marked the guy is just sizing me up to gauge how much I'll pay for an item)

Last edited:

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different kinds of sand also atleast some of the reef types. I think as long as you carry map pricing skimmers and things like that we would rather put the money in your pocket. People are always gonna go were it's cheaper but things like reef octopus tunze or vortech are map pricing so we can get them from you right away instead of waiting for them to be shipped
What this guy said... Stock up on map pricing stuff... We hobbyist like to support our LFS first and foremost, keeping your doors open feeds our addiction I mean hobby... We need our LFS for food, water, corals, fish and advice!!!

Also I'd say stock carbon, gfo, salt, and live rock!!

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices clearly marked... I can't tell you the number of times I've left a store because I can't figure out a price of something (and I always feel like if it's not marked the guy is just sizing me up to gauge how much I'll pay for an item)

This. I can't stand not having the prices marked

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in business you understand making money is all about turning inventory. If I was starting a store I would stock things like.

Frozen Foods (Both Rods and Reef Frenzy) and all the frozen brine and blood worms etc,
Test Kits by Red Sea and Sailfert (Maybe 1 or 2 each Basic ones like Alk and Calcium and also the Red Seas refills for the basics)
Salts
Sell Rodi Water
Stock a few Mag Drive Pumps (Maybe a Mag 3 and a Mag 7) (People would buy these in an emergency and gladly pay a fair price)
Carbon
GFO

Things I would not stock are
Skimmers or other expensive equipment like calcium reactors (There are too many options and brands and with online retailer cutting the margins to a minimum and offering free shipping why tie your inventory dollars into something you may sit on for years) (In Connecticut you are also at a 6.35% disadvantage of TAX on big dollar items, I know Tax is not the stores fault but it's a business disadvantage in Ct.)

I am sure there are more ideas but this is how I would approach it.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the stores up here has $5/$10/$15 frags. The $5 frags are usually just a polyp or two or a single head. Having a pico, it is nice being able to pick up some small frags for a good price, but it gives some extra motivation to go check out what is in stock. If you don't find what you are looking for, you at least won't walk out empty handed. There are usually some cool unique looking stuff in there.

Bulk sand and rock. The bagged "live" sand is expensive and most people feel it is more of a gimmick.

I'm getting tired of seeing all the painted rock that gives the appearance of coralline. There doesn't seem to be anything other than bacteria actually living on this rock.

Bulkheads and fittings sound like a good idea as well.

There has been a big trend towards nano and pico tanks, but nobody seems to stock fish that are appropriate.

If you are going to do fresh water as well, schooling micro fish, live plants, and shrimp.

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank drilling might be a way to make money without spending a lot. Some are afraid or have no clue how to go about it. I'm sure there would have to be a no responsibility for broken tank agreement.

argi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm not sure how financially feasible it would be, I would love to see all new fish quarantined for 1-2 weeks before being offered for sale.

A good selection of foods (dry and frozen) and as already mentioned prices clearly marked.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you did carry skimmers it would be ok . Please just stay away from the junk it ticks newbs off when you sell them a coralife when they could have bought an aquamaxx ho for about the same money. There are great budget skimmers out there that you can price right . lighting is a whole differnt ball game. Oh and I personally like the purple rock caribsea is an awsome company that supports this club more than most......

HtfdWhaler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local fish store here buys ESV two part A and B, carbon and GFO in huge bulk. He keeps it in 55 gallon drums. Bring your own container and fill up with what you need. The two part is sold by ounce and GFO and carbon is sold by the pound. I thought it was a great idea and his prices are the lowest I have seen in any LFS.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online and the superstores have already killed many LFS.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeromy
Shoreline Pet & Aquarium
719 Boston Post RD
Old Saybrook, CT 06475

I think your crazy for opening a store but at least there's not many out that way. I hope there's enough reefers out there.
If you can't beat them join them, have a great website and sell online as well. If not for dry goods then ship coral?

I used to stop at puppy center once a week just because they were always getting neat stuff on a weekly basis. Joe referring to the new shipment would say "Australia" and my mind would drift off imagining all the crazy LPS and new SPS. When they came in it was never a disappointment.
The staff and their knowledge was outstanding, a great bunch of guys to talk to and learn from. Many times just killing time there talking, more people from the club would happen to show up. Better attendance than some meetings I've gone to. My point of all this being that I went there a lot not looking to buy anything and often ended up buying something anyways. I always hope for something unusual when I go to an LFS this hobby is based around strange creatures isn't it? I can't wait to have a tank again and go down to TCR and pickup that odd turbinara frag they have waiting for me. It's not the most colorful thing I've ever seen but I haven't seen one before so I want one.

And maybe a used equipment shelf? And tampa bay live rock, that stuff is full of life. I've spent a small fortune on single polyp acans in the past, hard to resist.

I think if you did carry skimmers it would be ok . Please just stay away from the junk it ticks newbs off when you sell them a coralife when they could have bought an aquamaxx ho for about the same money. There are great budget skimmers out there that you can price right . lighting is a whole differnt ball game. Oh and I personally like the purple rock caribsea is an awsome company that supports this club more than most......

Yeah I never understood the logic of selling bad equipment. I remember when realm of pets was around and I didn't know it but they weren't far from closing the doors. I wanted to buy some supplements and Zack told me not to buy them because they wouldn't solve my issues. Clearly they could have used the sale. I never questioned his advice again because he wasn't looking just to make a buck. And later bought my mp10 from there paying sales tax I could have avoided by buying online.

Good luck to you

Last edited:
OP
OP
GobyApparatus

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
-Price will be clearly marked.
-I'm going to try and set up a quarantine system. Otherwise and fish that I've had less than a week will be marked as such.
-I too got burned on a piece of crap Coralife skimmer. Only quality stuff.
-Every store wants the rare coral. I certainly do. If we only carried that we wouldn't have much inventory.It will be a good mix of bread and butter and the best stuff I can find. My coral inventory will take time to build up as I want to make sure the system is running perfectly before I carry the really expensive livestock. Quality live rock as well.
-Maybe I'll put in a couch so reefers can come hang out and chat.
-I will be selling frags starting at $10. At $5 it's hard to make your money back after paying for the coral, plug, glue and employee to do it. I do expect to have $5 sales though from time to time.
-I will sell RO water/ Fresh and saltwater.
-Tank drilling is a possibility as I have a glass guy across the street that I may work with.

Follow the store build on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/ShorelinePet

Thanks,

Jeromy

-

OP
OP
GobyApparatus

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am crazy.

I think your crazy for opening a store but at least there's not many out that way. I hope there's enough reefers out there.
If you can't beat them join them, have a great website and sell online as well. If not for dry goods then ship coral?

I used to stop at puppy center once a week just because they were always getting neat stuff on a weekly basis. Joe referring to the new shipment would say "Australia" and my mind would drift off imagining all the crazy LPS and new SPS. When they came in it was never a disappointment.
The staff and their knowledge was outstanding, a great bunch of guys to talk to and learn from. Many times just killing time there talking, more people from the club would happen to show up. Better attendance than some meetings I've gone to. My point of all this being that I went there a lot not looking to buy anything and often ended up buying something anyways. I always hope for something unusual when I go to an LFS this hobby is based around strange creatures isn't it? I can't wait to have a tank again and go down to TCR and pickup that odd turbinara frag they have waiting for me. It's not the most colorful thing I've ever seen but I haven't seen one before so I want one.

And maybe a used equipment shelf? And tampa bay live rock, that stuff is full of life. I've spent a small fortune on single polyp acans in the past, hard to resist.

Yeah I never understood the logic of selling bad equipment. I remember when realm of pets was around and I didn't know it but they weren't far from closing the doors. I wanted to buy some supplements and Zack told me not to buy them because they wouldn't solve my issues. Clearly they could have used the sale. I never questioned his advice again because he wasn't looking just to make a buck. And later bought my mp10 from there paying sales tax I could have avoided by buying online.

Good luck to you

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back