Adding more live rock

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, and happy Friday! So I have a question. My tank is almost 6 months old and I was thinking about another one or two pieces of live Jakarta rock form a LFS. It is well established already. They keep it in a HUGE tub with filtration in the back of the store, and you just hand pick out what you want. Can I do this, or is there a process involved?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no you just lift it out, set it in a bucket and take it home and set it in the tank. it's pure skip cycle, we build entire five thousand dollar setups this way in one day. you don't test for anything, you just lift it out of one tank and set it in another. none of it dies off, it's not sensitive to air contact time etc just handle it normally and transfer it over.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no you just lift it out, set it in a bucket and take it home and set it in the tank. it's pure skip cycle, we build entire five thousand dollar setups this way in one day. you don't test for anything, you just lift it out of one tank and set it in another. none of it dies off, it's not sensitive to air contact time etc just handle it normally and transfer it over.
Thank you, that is what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that is what I thought, just wanted to make sure.
Does the rock have coraline? My LFS does the same but the rock never really sits long enough to become the really good stuff.

Also may want to consider some ocean direct rock from KP or TBS

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the rock have coraline? My LFS does the same but the rock never really sits long enough to become the really good stuff.

Also may want to consider some ocean direct rock from KP or TBS
This does have SOME coralline, but not much. I would absolutely LOVE to get some from TBS! But the shipping is beyond astronomical to get here. I looked into that when I first set me tank up. The rock they have looks amazing, for sure.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does have SOME coralline, but not much. I would absolutely LOVE to get some from TBS! But the shipping is beyond astronomical to get here. I looked into that when I first set me tank up. The rock they have looks amazing, for sure.

Looks amazing because I think it's 15-20 years old ocean rock, vs a few months in a tank.

If all you're looking for is added diversity could always just order live sand from one of them. You'll get the diversity and be much cheaper.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing because I think it's 15-20 years old ocean rock, vs a few months in a tank.

If all you're looking for is added diversity could always just order live sand from one of them. You'll get the diversity and be much cheaper.
Thanks but no, I am just wanting a little more rock in my tank. I am pretty good in the bio diversity department.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is corals and lots of live sponges and things on it, you can just take it home and drop it in. If there are lots of live things, then take it home in water (5g bucket or so) and temp acclimate it.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is corals and lots of live sponges and things on it, you can just take it home and drop it in. If there are lots of live things, then take it home in water (5g bucket or so) and temp acclimate it.
Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back