No LFS frustrations

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm far from the only one with this issue, but today I'm just feeling very irritated over it so I figured I would vent a little.

I had one LFS that very rarely would have some saltwater selection and they haven't had anything in months. I have a Petco about 35 minutes from me, but they seldom carry more than clownfish or occasionally a nice frag.

I badly need to restock my CUC population

So now I face the unfortunate choice, do I drive an hour and twenty minutes to the closest stores for $20 worth of snails, or do I find somewhere online to order and pay massive shipping or make a minimum order of the standard $75 to get "free shipping"

Maybe someday I'll hit the lotto and be able to bring a reef store to my area! Everyone else in this same unfortunate predicament, do you usually just order or take the drive? I'll probably use 20 or 30 dollars in fuel to get anywhere so I may just search for a reputable place to order... Only need a few snails for my 32.5G

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm far from the only one with this issue, but today I'm just feeling very irritated over it so I figured I would vent a little.

I had one LFS that very rarely would have some saltwater selection and they haven't had anything in months. I have a Petco about 35 minutes from me, but they seldom carry more than clownfish or occasionally a nice frag.

So now I face the unfortunate choice, do I drive an hour and twenty minutes to the closest stores for $20 worth of snails, or do I find somewhere online to order and pay massive shipping or make a minimum order of the standard $75 to get "free shipping"

Maybe someday I'll hit the lotto and be able to bring a reef store to my area! Everyone else in this same unfortunate predicament, do you usually just order or take the drive? I'll probably use 20 or 30 dollars in fuel to get anywhere so I may just search for a reputable place to order... Only need a few snails for my 32.5G
If I can drive reasonably, I drive.
I like to see what I’m buying and reduce transport stress.
I might order/ship if there’s something whereas I have little choice.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that's a struggle for sure. If you can, try connecting with local hobbyists and submit an order together to hit that free shipping minimum, then divvy up the goods on receipt.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the drive. This side of pa we got some pretty good shops plus local reefers who sell as well

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered CUC through reef cleaners multiple times. In in the same boat as you with no local shop. The shipping is not terrible through reef cleaners as well. For the prices of their individual creatures it makes up for the shipping cost. IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the drive. This side of pa we got some pretty good shops plus local reefers who sell as well
I'm always searching for some local people who are in the hobby, maybe one day I will get lucky! Lol... I'm in northeast PA (ringtown) so each direction will land me somewhere eventually, Allentown is about 1hr15, Reading is about the same, Lancaster is about 1hr40min and Philly is about 2hr40min.

I've been some great places in reading and Allentown, last time I was at that pet place in Lancaster I wasn't too thrilled with the selection

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$20-$30 in fuel vs $40-$50 shipping (which will likely break out to LFS cost in the end), I’d drive. If I was going big, like 100 or so snails) shipping is likely worth it. I generally order from @reefcleaners

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners is my go-to for cuc. My local LFS's stock well, but for a large cuc order you can't beat them, I usually stick to the USPS stuff when I order. Depending on where you are, I'd wait a few months til it warms up a bit, if your gonna order.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain for sure. We have one real shop up here. They are a great store but generally sell out of things fast. So it’s hit or miss and sadly they don’t stock a lot of equipment so that part can be slim pickings. Shipping is ridiculous to get things here and that’s if they will even ship here. If it were me I’d make a whole day of it and research some lfs and drive pick up some CUC and maybe a fish/coral or equipment. My next closest Lsf is a 3 hour flight away it sucks.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm fortunate enough to have a very nice reef shop less than 15 min away. However my wife and i regularly drive an hour and a half to visit our favorite store or for one that has a good freshwater selection. We enjoy browsing and looking for cool frags and stuff. Maybe get dinner while we're in the area.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Reefcleaners?

Very reasonable prices, free shipping on their “cleaner packages” and fairly reasonable shipping if you’re making smaller purchases.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Vermont.

It is 55 miles or more to "good" pet stores in my state. Petco sometimes has snails....20 min drive.

I just came back from one of the better LFS in the Boston area....6 snails for $30, trochus and astrea, almost bought some frags, decent prices on those.

I've been in this hobby since 2000 and seen stores come and go in this region, but have shopped online for the last 10 years for CUC. Reeftopia, Reefcleaners, and last year bundled them with coral orders from Pacific East Aquaculture.

I do my ordering spring and fall, if it is mild, you can get away with priority mail shipping from Florida, but last time I did overnight. My needs are usually every couple of years...29 gallon tank.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always searching for some local people who are in the hobby, maybe one day I will get lucky! Lol... I'm in northeast PA (ringtown) so each direction will land me somewhere eventually, Allentown is about 1hr15, Reading is about the same, Lancaster is about 1hr40min and Philly is about 2hr40min.

I've been some great places in reading and Allentown, last time I was at that pet place in Lancaster I wasn't too thrilled with the selection
Lancaster is having frag swap Saturday

Attachments

• IMG_2414.png
    IMG_2414.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 12

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been to something fishy in north Hampton?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back