What DIY fans do you use for DIY cooling?

I just use the 3.25" 12v fans. I use 4 of them. Just normal cpu fans.
 
Holy crap..if newegg was local to me..I'd be even more broke than my tank has made me lol...

As a general rule the larger the PC fan, the quieter..not always true, but most of the time...I'm going to try a few to see which cools best once I get my canopy made, 80mm, 120mm and 140mm all 12v

PC fans are great for cooling tanks..cheap, easy to set up..best option IMO.
 
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!orks great.
 
I get my Vantec Stealth 120mm fans from New Egg. Two at 53 CFM and low speed so they are extremely quiet at only 28 dBa. When I had MH and VHO lights in my totally enclose 100G canopy I was able to sell my 1/4 HP chiller since it did not run for almost two years.

I power them with variable voltage DC power supplies, no more than $10 at any computer or electronics suply store or I found mine at Harbor Freight 9 years ago for less than $5 each. By varying the voltage Ican control the amount of cooling, sound and evaporation rate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new