How much did your glass baffles cost?

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! I've been asking local glass shops for quotes on my glass baffles. (4 pieces of 1/4 annealed glass, 11 3/4 x 12 inches) and the lowest quote is $25 PER piece! That seems really high to me and certainly isn't going to happen.

My other options are using the 1/8'' thick glass at hardware stores or using acrylic, which is what I did on my 10 gal sump.

So...how much did your baffles cost?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three pieces of 1/4 glass with polish edges done for 39 dollars.But these where smaller pieces than what you where looking at . That is a fair prices for that size piece of glass.. The thinner glass will break on you. I never use the glass sold for window glass anymore just to dangerous to use.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that seems high. Are there any wholesalers in your area? I have Cardinal Glass that sells to the public at the same price they sell to resale glass shops. Pm me if you want me to get a quote and look into shipping it to you.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just called to het a price. $10.43 each after tax. Can't imagine shipping being much. Lmk if I can help.

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just called to het a price. $10.43 each after tax. Can't imagine shipping being much. Lmk if I can help.

Thanks, I'm going to keep calling around and see if I can't find something locally.

Has anyone used automotive glass? There seem to be many more auto glass suppliers around.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace hardware wasn't too expensive if I remember.

Don't use acrylic baffles in a glass sump. Silicone is not ideal for attaching acrylic and the acrylic will bow over time with that thickness.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ace here only has window pane glass, which I assume is not thick enough. He said it was nowhere near 1/4 inch

Pretty sure my ace had the same thing (1/8). I just used two pieces per baffle. I'm not sure how structurally sound it is, but it has worked for over a year at this point (10" of water in a 40b).

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my ace had the same thing (1/8). I just used two pieces per baffle. I'm not sure how structurally sound it is, but it has worked for over a year at this point (10" of water in a 40b).

Oh, if I can double up pieces of 1/8 inch then getting this done is no problem.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, if I can double up pieces of 1/8 inch then getting this done is no problem.

I'd be sure to double check with someone who has some experience in building tanks just to be safe. I was crunched for time when I put the baffle in so I used the first thing I could get.

Big Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 pieces, approximately 6 square ft of 1/4" was $66 dollar with a free can of glass cleaner .......

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back